Anyone got a 2 man kayak for sale? (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Really want to try our hands at kayaking as we so often find ourselves parked up by a lake. Just want a mid range one first to see if we like it. Before I buy one I just wanted to check if anyone has one they want to sell?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Yes we've got one of these sevylor adventure kayak kit (inflatable kayaks ) the (£225 blue and grey 2 seater one at bottom )
https://www.planetcamping.co.uk/inflatable-kayaks.html
Also has a set of spare oars .
Used for a week long trip to the lakes. Been in the water 3/4 times only ! So as new.
Going on eBay with loads of other MH related gadgets and gizmos electronic bits n bobs when Ralph gets round to it. But you or anyone else can have it for £150.
Heavy though so you'd be better collecting. Rather than paying for posting.
We are going to Misterton, Rufforth, soul rally and Saltfleet with the funsters and could take it, for anyone interested .

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Really want to try our hands at kayaking as we so often find ourselves parked up by a lake. Just want a mid range one first to see if we like it. Before I buy one I just wanted to check if anyone has one they want to sell?

plastic or inflatable ... ?

a two man plastic is quite big .. would need to go on the roof.. not an easy lift..

I have a 16ft Canadian canoe.. but sadly it's too heavy to lift up to the motorhome roof..

Inflatable are ok for a bit of fun, but compared to a rigid, they are hard paddling, and they also catch the wind and get blown off track..

If you go for inflatable the best make is Gumotex. @Minxy Girl was selling a single seater.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We were told by another Funster that gumotex are the best but we don't want to spend that much until we have decided if we are likely to do it regularly. Definitely don't want a rigid one as it will go in the garage of our hymer. As we only plan on doing it on nice sunny days the wind isn't going to be an issue for us.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Yes we've got one of these sevylor adventure kayak kit (inflatable kayaks ) the (£225 blue and grey 2 seater one at bottom )
Used for a week long trip to the lakes. Been in the water 3/4 times only ! So as new.
Going on eBay with loads of other MH related gadgets and gizmos electronic bits n bobs when Ralph gets round to it. But you or anyone else can have it for £150.
We are going to Misterton, Rufforth, soul rally and Saltfleet with the funsters and could take it, for anyone interested .

Thanks for that, will look them up and get back to you. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
When you say it has a spare set of oars do you mean there are 3 as the set includes 2 oars and a pump? Can you let me know exactly what there is please. Many thanks, Kerry :D

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
It comes with 2 and there's a spare set of two as well.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Definitely don't want a rigid one as it will go in the garage of our hymer. As we only plan on doing it on nice sunny days the wind isn't going to be an issue for us.

understand.. also looked at an inflatable to take in the garage , tried a couple and though.. no.. too much like hard work and even in a breeze it was blown off track

maybe I'm spoiled by using rigid canoes and kayaks.. inflatable didn't do it for me

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
understand.. also looked at an inflatable to take in the garage , tried a couple and though.. no.. too much like hard work and even in a breeze it was blown off track

maybe I'm spoiled by using rigid canoes and kayaks.. inflatable didn't do it for me
I'm happy to go wherever the wind may take me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
We never got into kayaking seriously enough to think if we were being blown off track.
We spent most of the time laughing and getting splashed ! Totally uncoordinated !
Can't say we noticed when using it in the lakes. Then again it wasn't blowing a gale. Nice and sunny.
If it had been sunny everyday it would have been used more. As it was , it wasn't . Hence only been in the water a few times during the week stop. Once we blew it up we ( put it in a couple of big bags) fastened it to the roof bars . We used an electric pump and it was up in no time at all.
Come to think of it we've 5 wetsuits ( mans , woman, 3 teens) and 5 body boards too. We really need a clear out ............

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We never got into kayaking seriously enough to think if we were being blown off track.
We spent most of the time laughing and getting splashed ! Totally uncoordinated !
Can't say we noticed when using it in the lakes. Then again it wasn't blowing a gale. Nice and sunny.
If it had been sunny everyday it would have been used more. As it was , it wasn't . Hence only been in the water a few times during the week stop. Once we blew it up we ( put it in a couple of big bags) fastened it to the roof bars . We used an electric pump and it was up in no time at all.
Come to think of it we've 5 wetsuits ( mans , woman, 3 teens) and 5 body boards too. We really need a clear out ............
Will pm you (y)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
My opinion, for what it's worth is this - We started with a very similar inflatable, coincidently bought second hand of a Funster. It gave us a taste for the pastime and we had great fun in it.

Good points are:
Very stable
Gives Confidence
Easy to pick up and carry
Fits in the garage of the motohome

Bad points are:
Had to be very precise with inflation and sealing the valves (we did have a couple of emergency stops due to one part deflating)
Took a while to dry out so we could pack it away
After using in the sea, it needed rinsing with fresh water, not always available.
Ok on rivers and canals, an absolute sod in the sea and there is always some breeze on the coast.

We are now on our second pair of ridged kayaks and love them. We can enjoy a paddle along the coast, even with a slight breeze they stay in a straight line. We can unload and reload them off the roof in 5 mins, which is useful if you are parked in a car park and it doesn't matter if they are not dry.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've had several inflatable kayaks now, double (very large for us and 3 dogs) and several singles, mainly Gumotex, have a look at my post #7 which gives some info about the pros and cons of other makes/designs and you'll understand why we swear by Gumotex ones for with with our camper.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/kayaks.120991/#post-1668140

The wind can affect them, as it can with all kayaks to be fair, but fitting a skeg to an inflatable kayak makes a heck of a difference to the handling so this is something to definitely get with whatever you plump for.

Just one word of caution ... don't get a double one unless you are able to work 'well together' otherwise you'll end up having heated debates as to who should be paddling and how! That's the number 1 reason we ended up with 2 singles! It also has the benefit that if just one of us wants to go out, as I did last year several times as I'm keener than hubby, and when hubby hurt his hand and couldn't hold a paddle for a while he was happy to stay with the camper and dogs (I just kidnapped one!) and I just had a kayak on my own for a while ... if we'd had a double it would have been more difficult to do. 2 singles are also easier to store than a double.

As for the paddles, go for the ones that break down into 2 pieces as these are still very strong in use, I found that the ones which go into 3 pieces weren't as good and were a bit heavier.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Bad points are:
Had to be very precise with inflation and sealing the valves (we did have a couple of emergency stops due to one part deflating)
After using in the sea, it needed rinsing with fresh water, not always available.
Ok on rivers and canals, an absolute sod in the sea and there is always some breeze on the coast.
I agree with a lot of what you have said as your 'cons' of inflation, drying out etc is very much a big 'problem' with most inflatable kayaks, however not with Gumotex ones hence why now wouldn't have any other type.

Specifically regarding inflation, Gumotex kayaks/canoes etc are extremely tough and can be inflated to twice the pressure of any other inflatable ... once you get to know how solid it needs to be you don't need a gauge at all ... I just use the 'squeeze' test now! :D

To be honest you should always rinse any kayak/boat etc (paddles and life jackets too if they've got wet) with fresh water prior to using them again elsewhere but you don't have to use a lot of water, I just usually only need a few jugs for both of ours - its not difficult to take a lemonade bottle with you with freshwater in it for this purpose if you intend to deflate them and put them away to carry back to your MH, otherwise just do it back at your MH. Not only will rinsing them remove salt and prevent staining, but more importantly if you've been on freshwater (rivers, lakes, canals) it will prevent any 'nasties' being transferred from one piece of water to another, in some areas this is a major problem, so best to get into the habit of carrying out this 'good practice' from the off.

I love using mine on the sea ... especially when there's a bit of a swell .... wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....... (y):LOL:

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
My opinion, for what it's worth is this - We started with a very similar inflatable, coincidently bought second hand of a Funster. It gave us a taste for the pastime and we had great fun in it.

Good points are:
Very stable
Gives Confidence
Easy to pick up and carry
Fits in the garage of the motohome

Bad points are:

We are now on our second pair of ridged kayaks and love them. We can enjoy a paddle along the coast, even with a slight breeze they stay in a straight line. We can unload and reload them off the roof in 5 mins, which is useful if you are parked in a car park and it doesn't matter if they are not dry.

We've had several inflatable kayaks now, double (very large for us and 3 dogs) and several singles, mainly Gumotex, have a look at my post #7 which gives some info about the pros and cons of other makes/designs and you'll understand why we swear by Gumotex ones for with with our camper.

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/kayaks.120991/#post-1668140

The wind can affect them, as it can with all kayaks to be fair, but fitting a skeg to an inflatable kayak makes a heck of a difference to the handling so this is something to definitely get with whatever you plump for.

Just one word of caution ... don't get a double one unless you are able to work 'well together' otherwise you'll end up having heated debates as to who should be paddling and how! That's the number 1 reason we ended up with 2 singles! It also has the benefit that if just one of us wants to go out, as I did last year several times as I'm keener than hubby, and when hubby hurt his hand and couldn't hold a paddle for a while he was happy to stay with the camper and dogs (I just kidnapped one!) and I just had a kayak on my own for a while ... if we'd had a double it would have been more difficult to do. 2 singles are also easier to store than a double.

As for the paddles, go for the ones that break down into 2 pieces as these are still very strong in use, I found that the ones which go into 3 pieces weren't as good and were a bit heavier.

Thanks guys, both posts are really helpful. I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and just splash the extra cash on a gumotex from the start. We don't have a ladder to get a kayak on the roof and there is solar panel and sat dish etc to avoid so definitely inflatable for us.
:dance:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have a look at the company we buy our kayaks from located in Germany:

Our current Gumotex Twist ones came from them when they were on offer - you'll find that you can get the same kayaks from them as you can in the UK but even including delivery they are much cheaper - the Twist models are more than sufficient for what you propose to use them for and you won't be disappointed. They've got some good discounts at the moment so definitely worth a shuftie.

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013

Our current Gumotex Twist ones came from them when they were on offer - you'll find that you can get the same kayaks from them as you can in the UK but even including delivery they are much cheaper - the Twist models are more than sufficient for what you propose to use them for and you won't be disappointed. They've got some good discounts at the moment so definitely worth a shuftie.
Thanks for that, excellent prices but out of stock so will keep watching (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks for that, excellent prices but out of stock so will keep watching (y)
Try dropping them an email - they speak good English - and asking them as sometimes they have some 'slight seconds' which aren't on the site, that's how we got our Twists.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I have a 16ft Canadian canoe.. but sadly it's too heavy to lift up to the motorhome roof..
It would be a bit lighter if you removed the Canadian first, mate. (y)

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Try dropping them an email - they speak good English - and asking them as sometimes they have some 'slight seconds' which aren't on the site, that's how we got our Twists.
I found a second hand one on their site so have emailed them about it, fingers crossed they still have it (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have one of these for sale a two (and a half) seat Sit-on Broken Link Removed Orange. Very good condition, two seats and paddles. £300

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
As your selling your kyak does that mean you do not need it , ie not going to Peterbourgh anymore ? Haha

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Unless you can find them on offer they are cheaper in the UK at the moment with the Euro where it is, we bought a Gumotex Palava Canoe of these people .

Martin

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Unless you can find them on offer they are cheaper in the UK at the moment with the Euro where it is, we bought a Gumotex Palava Canoe of these people .

Martin
Not sure how you work that out funflair .... the twist models are cheaper from Germany (they will get stock back in), as for the Palava ... it's a good boat but big and heavy (we used to have one) so the twist would be more suited to their intended use IMV.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the twist models are cheaper from Germany (they will get stock back in)

I emailed last night asking when they expect new stock..

the reply ..

Hello Jim,

many thanks for your email.

I'm sorry, but they are no longer produced. We have the new modell in stock:

http://www.arts-outdoors.de/Shop/products/de/Bootssport/Luftkajaks-Kanus/Gumotex-Twist-I-Kajak-Schlauchboot-1er-Solo-Luftboot-Nitrilon-Light.html

Freundliche Grüße / Best regards

That model is €339 or £264

I think this is the same model, in the UK @ £255.00

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not sure how you work that out funflair .... the twist models are cheaper from Germany (they will get stock back in), as for the Palava ... it's a good boat but big and heavy (we used to have one) so the twist would be more suited to their intended use IMV.
I did say "unless you can find them on offer" other than that I just converted the € price to £ using today's exchange rate for the boats they have in stock.
Don't know about big and heavy, I thought it was about right for two people plus a child/dog or luggage the Palava is a Canoe and the twist a Kayak so different things really.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back