Portable solar panel charger (1 Viewer)

Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
We have a tracker and alarm fitted which does drain the engine battery somewhat when the van is parked up. Can anyone recommend a make/model of solar charger that we can fit to inside of the windscreen (van is parked south facing) that will do the job of keeping the engine battery topped up. We have solar on the roof for the leisure batteries. Ideally to plug into the 12v socket but with ignition turned off I'm not sure if this will work. We can use crocodile clips directly to the battery as this is located under the floor and easily accessible from the cab. Thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Solar less than 50watts is pretty much useless laid on a dashboard.
Even 50w will only give around 2.5amps in good sun....and the sun doesn't always shine.
Many windscreens now block a lot of uv light so that figure may be optimistic.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Im going to disagree with John whilst conceding they are pretty well useless as a "charger." However they will do the job of topping up
what is after all only a parasitic drain on the battery
I have a couple of 20 watt panels one on our recovery that rarely moves and one on the Smart four two (Toad) that stands around most of the time
both will start on the button when required, both will go flat if left standing without the little panels
spend as little as possible, they all work to a greater or lesser extent, certainly at 20/30 Watts you wont get more power the more you spend
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Panels are on the dashboards of both vehicles as both stand on a pretty public garage four court and charge (term used lightly) via a cig lighter socket
that does not require ignition to be on, both my battery's are both buried but in your case croc clips will work just as well and of course no charge controler is require at all due to low output from the panel
I must stress batteries need to be in tip top condition, do not expect 20/30 watts to hold up a poor battery
Geo

OP
OP
Clever Claire
Oct 20, 2015
tunbridge wells
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years
Thanks Geo, useful information. I am beginning to think the unit we have may be faulty, it was given to us as working but who knows. The van battery is new, as in January this year, and last weekend we left the solar panel attached showing 100% capacity on the battery according to the vans control panel. We were somewhat surprised to find only 40% charge in the battery today which led us to think that maybe the charger was faulty. The van still started without a problem.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If you already have a solar panel on roof then why not add a B2B charger or switching relay and let that do the job ???

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If you already have a solar panel on roof then why not add a B2B charger or switching relay and let that do the job ???
Skipped that bit:rolleyes:
Thats a much better option(y) or see if your controller has an option to charge a second battery:)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
In recent years I've been lucky enough to visit Australia 4-6 weeks from the end of February.
The only negative has been coming back to a car with a flat battery.
So this year, I got one of those AA dashboard solar panels knowing it probably wouldn't make a difference but worth the £20 on the off chance. Plugged into OBD port.

Result: car started first time, turnover wasn't even sluggish.
So as @Geo suggests. I doubt these small panels could charge a drained battery, but it seems they can counter the parasitic drain from your alarm or radio.

Reactions: Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back