Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I fitted 6 LED bulbs in my halogen spots a month or so ago. I've just completed 3 weeks away, 2 of which were spent without access to mains electricity, just the 80w panel on the roof.

After 4 or 5 hours use each evening, interspersed with use of the casette pump, water pump, and occasional use of the fixed kitchen halogens, I am happy to report that upon awaking each morning, and checking the solar control panel, that the battery was showing 14.2v steady!! Brilliant. Without the LED's, it was taking 4 or 5 hrs from waking for the battery to reach full charge.

LED bulbs therefore get my highest recommendation. Even without solar panels, they'll make a difference. I can burn all 6 for around half the consumption of a single Halogen.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Being a technical numpty, with the dexterity of a fish threading a needle, I need to be able to go somewhere where I can get the right replacements. Then I can start looking for a sucker I mean mate to fit them.

How do you find out what replacements are needed?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

Simple, do what I did. Remove a halogen bulb, compare it with those shown here, and they are the cheapest I've found:

MR16 Bulbs

Buy as many as you need, and hey presto, save energy!! It really is as simple as changing a lightbulb:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
beware of this type from ledbulbs4u.
probably applies to other makes as well.

Link Removed

replaced all mine with these at Newark this year and at malvern i had one 'blow'

i checked it and both pins had broken off the PCB.

unsupported, they can vibrate and break.
my advise is place a small wad of foam behind the PCB to stop it moving.
there isnt really any heat so should be perfectly safe.

easy repair luckily...or could have been £8 wasted.

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
beware of this type from ledbulbs4u.
probably applies to other makes as well.

Link Removed

replaced all mine with these at Newark this year and at malvern i had one 'blow'

i checked it and both pins had broken off the PCB.

unsupported, they can vibrate and break.
my advise is place a small wad of foam behind the PCB to stop it moving.
there isnt really any heat so should be perfectly safe.

easy repair luckily...or could have been £8 wasted.

I fitted 4 of these a year and 9000 bumpy (French) road miles ago and have had no problem but then suspect there is always the odd bum one. Have been really pleased with these and the LED spotlights we fitted and their lack of current draw.

Last edited:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
this post is a bit off the subject matter but its also sort off simular, I breed geckos and when I had my custom vivariums made I fitted LED lighting to them all, it give off no heat so it dosn't cause temprature problems, its low powere consumption (same as this thread) which is good and they come in strip form from verious places quite cheaply, I got mine from halfords, the strips can be cut to suit and they would be great for replaceing the aircrart style lights fitted over a lot of M/ top lockers or in wardrobes or in lockers,

ps anybody want to buy a gecko (only kiddin,no hatchlings left this year)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I fitted 4 of these a year and 9000 bumpy (French) road miles ago and have had no problem but then suspect there is always the odd bum one. Have been really pleased with these and the LED spotlights we fitted and their lack of current draw.

yep, i agree Ian.
i fitted 8 X 20w and 4 X 25w and this is the only one to fail.

i can run them all together for the same consumption as two of the old halogen type

i'll still be packing the others though to be sure.:thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
are these round ones pictured above OK for spotlights? can you not get LED spots? would they not give more direct light?

my eyes are pretty bad and I need good lights:cry:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are these round ones pictured above OK for spotlights? can you not get LED spots? would they not give more direct light?

they will probably fit in a spotlight fitting as you can buy 'rear' pin LEDs (same thing but the pins are on the back...not the side) but as the spot relies on reflected light it wont be any brighter than a normal downlighter.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

It all depends on the fitting. We have eyeball spotlights in our van which take lamps with bayonet caps. We bought some similar to Link Removed (ours have 4 LEDs rather than 6 in them) and are very satisfied - more light and less heat.

Graham

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It all depends on the fitting. We have eyeball spotlights in our van which take lamps with bayonet caps. We bought some similar to Link Removed (ours have 4 LEDs rather than 6 in them) and are very satisfied - more light and less heat.

Graham

mine are the small 2 pin halogen? ones...the same as on pictures next to the led's at the beginning of this thread

blimey..in your link the G4 lamps which I guess mine are come in 4.6. 10. 12 and 15 led versions

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
mine are the small 2 pin halogen? ones...the same as on pictures next to the led's at the beginning of this thread

Answer to your original question is probably yes then - there will be lamps of one pattern or another which fit your spotlights.

blimey..in your link the G4 lamps which I guess mine are come in 4.6. 10. 12 and 15 led versions
Last weekend I was looking at the fittings in a friend's caravan with a view to him getting LED lamps. It appeared that the wattages of the G4 lamps were probably different for different fittings, depending on the amount of light which the manufacturer thought would be needed in a particular situation. I would guess (stress guess) that is the reason for the range.

As I've said to people in the past, best idea is to go to a show where the suppliers have stands set up to demonstrate the different lamps and the difference between cool and warm white versions. That way you're likely to get the right lamps for your particular van. Worked for us anyway :Smile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back