Overnighting somewhere close to HMS Raleigh (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One of my grandsons will be passing out at HMS Raleigh on the 13th of May.
Does anyone know of a good spot very close to it ( The post code is PL11 2PD ) we can stay over night ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fraid that will not work.. As Plymouth is, by road, 17 miles away !
You have to go right round the houses to get to Raleigh :-(

But appreciate the input folks :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
On the a38 just after lee mill turn off and tesco there is a another turn off at smith aliegh turn off there and then carry on as if u were going back on the a38u will find a v large lay by safe and away from the traffic
about 5 miles from plymouth

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Fraid that will not work.. As Plymouth is, by road, 17 miles away !
You have to go right round the houses to get to Raleigh :-(

But appreciate the input folks :)

By using the bridge it might be.

Use the Torpoint Ferry and it's about 4 miles. You can also get the train from Plymouth to Torpoint.

Don't know if that changes anything but worth remembering.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Will the ferry take a 30ft motorhome Nick ?

I will go take a gander ! Thanks for the info

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Will the ferry take a 30ft motorhome Nick ?

I will go take a gander ! Thanks for the info

The individual vehicle weight limit is 18 tonnes so probably. (y)

I don't think there is a specific length limit (as long as it isn't longer than th boat obviously)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Stupid is as stupid asks. Have you rung Raleigh up? I appreciate that everyone these days is walking on eggshells, security wise but they do have rather large car parks there.
Worth 6d (or 4d) for the really aged challenged.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Foned Raleigh.. they were as helpful as they could possibly be.. If I lived in an open barn and was asking for help to get out LOL !!

Sooo @StitchesnFluff , where is the place you have in mind mate ? Is it closer than the one sonny mentioned ?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The motorcaravanners club list these car parks as motorhome friendly but I don't know if it includes overnight so you will have to check that point.

Torpoint
Seaton Park Car Park - PL11 3JD
Tregantle Car Park - PL11 3AL

They are pretty close to Raleigh.

or try a pub search and see if you can park at a pub and have some meals/drinks!

HMS Raleigh is in Cornwall across the Tamar from Plymouth so you need to be looking in Saltash/Torpoint area.

Update - Cornwall County Council do not permit overnight camping or sleeping in their car parks but there are no height or weight restrictions in these car parks and are used by coaches etc. Have a look at their website.

Last edited:

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
As ex MoD Police I don't think they will let you park up overnight there, try parking at The Texaco garage at Carkeel services which is at the first roundabout after the Tamar Bridge (I have seen people parked up there, or Lee Mill as Sonny said). Then move onto Raleigh in the morning, there is an industrial estate opposite Raleigh (Used to be HMS Fisguard) where you could park whilst in Raleigh.

Jun 1, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
On and off since 1990
how about Whitsand Bay Camping, Millbrook, Torpoint, PL10 1JZ ? Family run site less than 5 miles from Raleigh- I regularly drive this area and used this site when I had my tag axle Arapaho.

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
how about Whitsand Bay Camping, Millbrook, Torpoint, PL10 1JZ ? Family run site less than 5 miles from Raleigh- I regularly drive this area and used this site when I had my tag axle Arapaho.
Nice site with great views

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK.. All sorted thanks to everyone who made suggestions !
Special mention goes to @Langtoftlad who pointed out something I had completely missed ( even though I looked... Daft bugger that I am ), and to @NickNic for being the first to suggest the ferry (y)

The plan is to leave here about 9am on the 12th, drive to Torpoint ferry ( about 6 or 7 hours from here ) catch the ferry, go to the place Steve ( Langtoftlad ) pointed out to me, and plot up for the night.
In the morning a very short drive to Raleigh where I will drop Woman off so she can go to the event ( only 6 family members and I aint on the list :oops: )
I will park up opposite on the industrial estate..
Afterwards we will either drive all the way home or maybe stop over in Oxford somewhere for the night

Talking of which.....

Anyone know approximately how long the passing out parade takes ?
I know how long it took me to pass out the RAF but suspect the navy one is somewhat different to my experience !

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Anyone know approximately how long the passing out parade takes ? - John about 45 minutes then there is the "CO's" chat and meet and greet that's another 90 minutes and then there is the lunch (there may not be one). I would allow 3+ hours.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cheers John..
That will give me time to do a couple of jobs, I wanna do, watch a bit of telly, have a couple of cuppas and chill out.
It will also mean ( with luck ) we can romp straight home and be back here by about 10pm.. Perfik !

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Slightly off topic but the ferry only charges 'One Way' (like the bridge)
They charge from Torpoint to Plymouth (except motorcycles where they charge the other way)

Thought it might be of use to anyone who is coming down and fancies a trip across (Devon to Cornwall) in a 'van as something different. (say, with the kids or grandkids ) as a freebie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back