Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
After 12 years trouble free driving here in Spain, finally paid the penalty for a moments inattention on a road very near home, which is the time "experts" say your attention level diminishes rapidly. Received my first ever fine in the post, having been caught by a mobile traffic unit, ...... 98 in 60kph area ( ooooops!!), €300 smackers + 2 penalty points.
However, the good news, if you can call it that, penalty reduced by 50% if paid within 20 days from date of issue of penalty notice.
So, should you be so unlucky as to receive such a notice for any traffic offence in Spain, pay it promptly and lessen the blow. Not such good advice of course if you are in Spain for long trip, maybe ask family to watch out for Spanish mail franked by the dreaded DGT.

Bryan

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
After 12 years trouble free driving here in Spain, finally paid the penalty for a moments inattention on a road very near home, which is the time "experts" say your attention level diminishes rapidly. Received my first ever fine in the post, having been caught by a mobile traffic unit, ...... 98 in 60kph area ( ooooops!!), €300 smackers + 2 penalty points.
However, the good news, if you can call it that, penalty reduced by 50% if paid within 20 days from date of issue of penalty notice.
So, should you be so unlucky as to receive such a notice for any traffic offence in Spain, pay it promptly and lessen the blow. Not such good advice of course if you are in Spain for long trip, maybe ask family to watch out for Spanish mail franked by the dreaded DGT.

Bryan
Puzzled,,,how do The Spanish get to put points on a UK license ? BUSBY.

OP
OP
bryandh

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Puzzled,,,how do The Spanish get to put points on a UK license ? BUSBY.

In my case, I live in Spain, have Spanish licence.
With regard to UK licence holders caught out, I imagine that some reciprocal arrangement exists between Spain/UK authorities, but others more knowledgeable than me will no doubt be along soon.

Bryan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
With regard to the Points.
At the moment there is no reciprocal arrangements re putting the points on a GB licence, However, (there's always a however), the receiver of the points will have a record (in this case Spain) that he has got the 2 points.
In the case of further 'indiscretions' those points will emerge and be totalled up as if the miscreant had received 2 points on a theretical Spanish Licence.
Not really a problem for a one off offender but I understand our Spanish cousins have a different attitude to serial offenders and that can include seizure of the vehicle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With regard to the Points.
At the moment there is no reciprocal arrangements re putting the points on a GB licence, However, (there's always a however), the receiver of the points will have a record (in this case Spain) that he has got the 2 points.
In the case of further 'indiscretions' those points will emerge and be totalled up as if the miscreant had received 2 points on a theretical Spanish Licence.
Not really a problem for a one off offender but I understand our Spanish cousins have a different attitude to serial offenders and that can include seizure of the vehicle.
Wouldn't anyone who got a speeding fine abroad and points awarded, even if they aren't actually put against their UK licence, have to inform their insurer in the UK regardless?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Spanish cousins have a different attitude to serial offenders
Quite right as well!! In fact, the British Police have the same attitude. (y)

killer.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Wouldn't anyone who got a speeding fine abroad and points awarded, even if they aren't actually put against their UK licence, have to inform their insurer in the UK regardless?

I've just gone through the annual hoop that is obtaining Insurance for my car.
From memory the questions asked relate to your licence. (That is your UK licence). I seem to remember that the question was asked whether I had any endorseable offences within the previous five years. Those endorsements apply to your UK licence and not those abroad.
As a point of interest on a similar matter. 20yrs ago I pleaded guilty to Driving without Due Care. I was driving as part of my job which was as a Police Officer. In the course of a pursuit I 'Scared' a pedestrian who made a complaint. When I went to Court it was argued that I was performing a lawful act but committed the offence, (similar to that faced by Ambulance and Fire Engine drivers who have accidents en route to jobs). Under those circs, and the fact that I had pleaded guilty, I received an Absolute Discharge which, although a guilty verdict, results in no punishment. I spent five long years after that trying to explain to Insurance Companies that I had a conviction for Due Care but without points on my Licence.
Not one of them loaded my Insurance and basically stated. "If you have no points on your Licence, then we don't want to make a note of it.

From that I hope you can see that any infractions abroad have no bearing on your status with your Insurance Co. in the UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back