Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Ok Chuckle buddies
I am in the process of deciding which 85cm dish satellite system to get,

I have searched this forum for satellite info but they did not really cover what I want. I want to be able to record and feed two tv’s but only record from one in the lounge area. I have been looking at various systems and most have twin LNB’s which would feed and record to one tv and receiver but not feed the other one, am I correct in that assumption?

I will probably get an automatic system with an 85cm dish as I can’t be arsed with finding the satellite myself although I do understand it’s very easy once you have done it a few times. I have done it only once but then I’ve not long had the vehicle.

I do understand that a 60cm dish will pick up uk channels in the UK and part of Europe but want to extend that as far as possible, but also I do know I might have difficulty the further I go away from the UK.

For me to be able to record I think I need at least two LNB’s with two satellite coax leads going to the tv area one for the recorder and one for the tv Yes or No.

Not sure why this is as a Humax freeview only requires a through aerial to record and receive.

If yes I will need a socket on the wall with two satellite connections a 12v socket and a ordinary tv socket.

If I stick with one coax to the tv will I need another one as the TV I have is a Avtex 24” with free to air satellite receiver in it.
But having said that I'm not impressed with the Avtex free to air guide and a few channels are missing which are on freesat.

Most satellite systems only have a twin LNB which if I’m recording will be taken up by the one tv and recorder. Can a twin LNB system be made to feed two tv’s with a spliter of some kind but perhaps still recording from one and watching the other.

Also the motorised systems prices vary from the Maxiview target £1700 to the seeker at £2100 not sure why prices vary as they both seem to do the same thing. Then there is the Oyster Digital Autoskew at £2549.00, then Oyster Vision Autoskew III £1999, the Oyster also Vision III £1959,
Which all seem to do the same except for the Oyster Vision III which only has one LNB!

So what I’m asking if someone can clear up the confusion and also wish to hear from anyone who has an automatic system and if it can be updated and how they got on with the system and why they choose that system.

Also If anyone has been in Europe with one of these systems and how far they were away from the UK and still receiving UK channels.

I do realize that anyone who says they got UK cannels in far southern Spain or Italy might only be a fluke and not to be relied upon as I understand there are a lot of variables when receiving signals from satellites.

Also I think there are satellite dishes out there that can receive the internet as well as TV signals so although I would not be able to afford a internet package at the moment it might be prudent to pay the extra for a dish that can do both for when I can afford the internet.

And finally any general advice will be more than welcomed, please feel free to put your five eggs in, as the saying goes.

Many Thanks to all who contribute to this post.

Best Wishes Tony

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
oyster 85cm dish is good enough for most of france, so im told, and you could always tune to another satillite.
go for the twin set up and you will be able to record. thats what i would do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a quad LNB but only use two ports....one for the lounge tv and one for the bed tv.
Easy enough to add another coax for a recorder if I wanted one.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, I can fit any LNB......but then, it is a sky mini dish on a tripod.....the same as you see on any house wall.

The cheapest options, less than 20 quid, are often the best.
Only takes a few minutes to set up and lock on Astra.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
My two pennies worth: Do you really need satellite? We have travelled extensively in Europe, and have discovered freeview DTV to be perfectly adequate, the vast majority of local programmes will have English films with the local language subtitles.
We tend to pick up a couple of English channels in our travels, but to be honest, the TV is really for our daughter, and we have DVD's in the van :D
I'd be aiming more for a decent streaming TV service, so local data sim cards are your friend :D

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I'd be aiming more for a decent streaming TV service, so local data sim cards are your friend
Ha Ha Ha Hi Daniel yes your correct you do make me laugh, half the things I have I don't need, but I want. As my Mum used to say "I Want, Never Gets" but I'm bigger now and still saying I want. Yes data sim cards are a good thing but you can soon go through GB's of data especially if you watch a few films and use it for internet Emails, surfing etc. I have a status aireal on my rig but can's seem to get a signal, well that's not true I get a signal but not the quality. I wil be taking my DVD's with me but you can only watch the same film etc so much before you get sick of it. I have a very good plan with EE 25GB of 4G data for £15 per mth but I seem to go through it fairly fast but can't use that in Europe you have to pay more for roaming. I have been looking at data sims in France but you don't get much data for the price you pay, If you could get unlimited data at a reasonable speed and price then that might be an option, but to pay say £600 per year I think it was for speeds of 6MB/Sec is not what I call streeming certain. I was on the understanding you can't get freeview far south, by the sound of it you are picking up local Euro stations not the UK ones is that correct and what aerial do you use? There is a lot to thing about and i'm open to all options so I will not rule anything out, but I do like things easy peasy and do not like ongoing bills, I have enough of them as it is, lol
Best Wishes Tony

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
PHEW!! For a moment I thought I had logged on to the wrong forum.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

I would buy a cheap portable system @pappajohn suggested.

I used to take a laptop on holiday with me and now a tablet, using just free wifi (McDonalds etc) and found I can actually survive without the internet! I went to Spain for a week earlier this month (Ryanair) and only used the tablet to delete a load of useless emails and spam at the airport on the way back - helped pass the time...........

Freeview works fine in the van, and as for phones, I have one that just makes calls or texts!

I actually enjoy taking a holiday from technology and realised long ago that what passes for news normally has no effect on my life...........

Each to his own but the cheap system would suit me.... if I find I want/need one
(y)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
My two pennies worth: Do you really need satellite? We have travelled extensively in Europe, and have discovered freeview DTV to be perfectly adequate, the vast majority of local programmes will have English films with the local language subtitles.
We tend to pick up a couple of English channels in our travels, but to be honest, the TV is really for our daughter, and we have DVD's in the van :D
I'd be aiming more for a decent streaming TV service, so local data sim cards are your friend :D

I agree with this but would just add - that I wonder if it would change if DC does manage to sort out the BBC. On our recent winter trip the French and Germans et all were watching their home stations on regular dishes ( even in Morocco). Its apparently easily possible and only 'licensing issues' preventing us from doing the same. The BBC might have a different view when they're trying to flog advertising and Filmon etc are getting all their viewers.

Jon

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I agree with this but would just add - that I wonder if it would change if DC does manage to sort out the BBC. On our recent winter trip the French and Germans et all were watching their home stations on regular dishes ( even in Morocco). Its apparently easily possible and only 'licensing issues' preventing us from doing the same. The BBC might have a different view when they're trying to flog advertising and Filmon etc are getting all their viewers.
Jon

Can't be just licensing issues when you can't get Sky

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
If you spent the dosh on a nice van and you can afford the automated system then go for it. Never mind Southern Europe we spend a lot of time in the lakes and Yorkshire Dales and there's no tv signal or very limited on some of the sites.

Reading some of your other posts though Tony I think you are fairly new to the wandering life. Most people change their van a few times before they finally settle into one for a few years. Maybe an Aldi portable special would suffice unless you are hitting Europe straight away.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oyster for us.. And yes, you can fit any standard necked LNB in a a few seconds :)
As a bounus installing the Oyster system is a total doddle and well within the skill set of most folk who are not frightened of getting their hands dirty :D

Another bonus is that every single part of the Oyster system is replaceable .. Darrell's system is one of the very first, and the worm drive started to wear out last year.. New worm drive sir, no problem !

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I have a 65cm Oyster automatic satellite system. It is connected to a Sky + box powered from an inverter. In your case if you get the twin LNB system just run a coax lead from the powered outlet on the back of the box to the second tv, get a Magic Eye for this to and you can change the channel remotely from that second tv.

I can get full reception just south of Bordeaux and was surprised to be able to pick up some channels (not Bbc or ITV) just north of Teruel in the middle of Spain.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We have the 85cm Oyster system and a Sky + box, and as Xabia says you can just run a cable from the Sky box and use a magic eye for two TVs as we do at home. We can get most Sky channels as far down as Gibralter and southern Portugal, but not the top 5 (BBC 1, ITV etc), as these give up in Northern Spain. Surprisingly Channel 5 seemed to last the furthest south this year - not sure why! We had a different selection of channels at each stop on the southern coast of Spain this year, but always 80+ channels, so plenty.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
God, I'm glad we no longer have a tele in our van, couldn't stand all the stress:)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Hi Breakers, what I tend to do is record my favourite programs on my recorder until I fill it up at home or as much as l want. I then take it with me and play it back into my telly in the van. These modern digital recorders can record up to 500 hours... enough for anyone I would think. Obviously you will need a decent inverter. (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have a 60cm Alden automatic system and I have been reporting reception throughout our tour this winter on thread: satellite reception on our winter tour of Spain,France & Portugal you might find it useful we also carry a 1200mm free standing dish with us.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I tend to do is record my favourite programs on my recorder
Solo 1 Yes good Idea I think that's what I will do once I've got my batteries sorted and a good inverter fitted.
Just out of interest which recorder do you have and what power does it draw?
Many Thanks Tony

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Hi chaser I probably would not need a tv as much if I had a partner to entertain me, if you know what I mean;)
If you did have a PARTNER, without doubt, this would increase the the need for a Satellite System.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you did have a PARTNER, without doubt, this would increase the the need for a Satellite System.
Hi Jumar Also don't forget the noise cancelling earphones. LOL :D

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Solo 1 Yes good Idea I think that's what I will do once I've got my batteries sorted and a good inverter fitted.
Just out of interest which recorder do you have and what power does it draw?
Many Thanks Tony

If you've got an Avtex TV (think I read in the first post that you do) then you can record to USB stick and play back from that, which is what I do.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
satellite reception on our winter tour of Spain,France & Portugal
Hi Speve Thanks for that is the thread title "satellite reception on our winter tour of Spain,France & Portugal"?
I've been looking through your threads but you have so many It might be easier if you just give me to dedicated title.
Many Thanks Tony

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi Speve Thanks for that is the thread title "satellite reception on our winter tour of Spain,France & Portugal"?
I've been looking through your threads but you have so many It might be easier if you just give me to dedicated title.
Many Thanks Tony
@Brakers ,I Have bumped the thread you should see it now.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
If you've got an Avtex TV (think I read in the first post that you do) then you can record to USB stick and play back from that, which is what I do.
Hi Stroppy Bird, I do like your nickname or is it you real name:) Yes you are correct I've just bought it and tuned it in once but never tried to record as I've heard that to record from a Avtex TV is a bit of a fiddle and I'm not sure but again I think I remember reading that you can't watch one channel while recording another, so you can only record when the tv is off unless you want to watch the channel you are recording, Is that correct?
Many Thanks Tony :)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Stroppy Bird, I do like your nickname or is it you real name:) Yes you are correct I've just bought it and tuned it in once but never tried to record as I've heard that to record from a Avtex TV is a bit of a fiddle and I'm not sure but again I think I remember reading that you can't watch one channel while recording another, so you can only record when the tv is off unless you want to watch the channel you are recording, Is that correct?
Many Thanks Tony :)

Ah yes - I forgot that part of your initial post. I think you're right and you can only record from the channel that you're watching. I use the Avtex as a spare tv when at home so I just set it to record whenever I notice that there is something on (usually a film) that we would like to watch. Recording is relatively easy from the EPG. Just highlight the program you want and press the record button and it sets it all up.

Stroppy Bird is a nickname I got from the bunch of blokes that I work with and is occasionally used - it's meant in a good humoured way - well I think it is anyway ;)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I Have bumped the thread you should see it now.
Hi Speve thanks for that bump, didn't know what you meant at first, though It might be my birthday again:). Read you thread and I want to thank you for everyone as I'm sure a lot of people found it interesting and usefull. Most threads I read about reception all seem to list Sky or Sky box or in your case a Sky Pace, I don't subscribe
to Sky so will I have to, or what. Just of the thread for a moment how were you connecting to the internet, contract bought in Europe or using UK contract with Europe included?
Many Thanks Tony(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back