Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30+
We are heading for the Rhine Valley next month for 3 weeks. Would be glad to get some ideas about what to see and location of stellplatz.
Can you give us an idea of good places to eat and drink as well?
Cheers:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are heading for the Rhine Valley next month for 3 weeks. Would be glad to get some ideas about what to see and location of stellplatz.
Can you give us an idea of good places to eat and drink as well?
Cheers:thumb:

We "did" the Rhine years ago on the bike, what disappointed was that it takes about an hour to see the really pretty bits. We did fall in love with Boppard and have returned a few times though before MH so we stayed in a hotel in the middle. It's where the cruise boats tie up, a good place to just watch the Rhine in action. In the sunshine :)

But whether it's good for 3 weeks in October I'm not so sure.

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
Even better - first thing in the morning, when the mists are rising - very evocative.

the best bit is the touristy bit around Lorelei area - Koblenz south to Rudesheim ish
BUT
wander off along the Neckar at Heidleberg -
wander off along the Moselle at Koblenz

check out the area where it leaves Switzerland and forms the border between Germany [Schwartzvald Freiberg Titisee] and France - ile du Rhin and the like = the French spoken is pretty incomprehensible mind -
Always wanted to travel along the Swiss bit to the source of the Rhine - looks brill on the map

as for Stellplatz, just keep your eyes peeled for other motorhomes parking up

PS from Moselle - Trier and Luxembourg both worth a look :thumb:

PPS - try and follow it through to the North Sea - Arnhem to Rotterdam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

johnnerontheroad

Free Member
Dec 11, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Rhine in Flames

You will be able to go to the Rhine in Flames, I think you will be to late for the wine fest, the are great but at the beging on September.

Link Removed

Dave

valandtony

Free Member
Jul 11, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
20 years
Rhine

We did the Moselle and Rhine last year, the Moselle was the nice bit from Trier to Koblenz, plenty of Aires along this stretch,(nearly all paying average 5 euros) but we had bought the Bord Atlas aires book which was brilliant. Hope this helps. Have a good trip. Regards

Val and Tony

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Luxembourg

We are at Weiswampach (northern luxembourg) staying 2 nights on camp site as it has lakes, but too small for our canoe.

Does anyone know of lakes/river in southern luxembourg, there looks a nice place at Esch-Sur-Sure as this looks like a snake river, can anyone recommend aires in luxembourg.

got free wi-fi on this camp site

many thanks
bob & val

Aug 28, 2008
Antwerp /Belgium
Funster No
Exp
There are only a few 'aires' in Luxembourg (not the French style though).
SCHWEBSANGE: Port de Plaisance, (go trough camping) 5pl, 9€/n, (el=1,5€)
DUDELANGE :parking Rue Gare-Usines (> Rte de Thionville) , 6pl S= free
LUXEMBOURG: P+R rue de Bouillon, S=gratis
Some campings have a seperate MH section:
HEIDERSCHEID-FUUSEKAUL/Camping ”Fuusekaul” N15, perm. 6pl, S=free, 8,5>12,5€/n (max 24h), N 49° 52 673 - E 05° 59 657
DIEKIRCH : ext camping ”La Sure” Rte de Gilsdorf,, 8pl, 7€/n(oct>mrt) 12€/n(apr>sept), 1/4>31/10, N49° 51 983 - E 06° 09 914

Canoeing: tne Sure (Sauer) (fronier river with Germany) from Wallendorf (Gernmany) over Echternach towards the Mosel. Also the Mosel from France onwards .
Lakes: Lac de la Sure op to the dam at Esch-sur-Sure (The Sure downstream is not that sure for waterlevel, the same for the Our from Vianden to Wallendorf)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We did fall in love with Boppard and have returned a few times
But whether it's good for 3 weeks in October I'm not so sure.

Now, after The Italian Job I can add St Goar or Sank Goar to the list we like. It's 14km south of Boppard opposite the famous Lorreley rock. Camping Lorreleyblick.

Without doubt the prettiest spot on the Rhein that we have stopped at.

But and it's a BIG BUT, the train noise is terrible. I was ready to pack up and go, opened the door and said "We can't leave this" and stayed longer than planned. €18 a night with hook up.

Good for 3 nights, certainly not 3 weeks. Boats stop in St Goar, you can go miles both ways or just the 14km to Boppard.

Further south the Rheinfal has to be seen. Just in Switzerland there is a MH car park for SwFr10 for overnight parking. Toilets and chemical dump.

pat

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Funster No
rhine

Hi,we were there earley this month.
Rudesheim am Rhine is a must. Campsite is very good,but pricey at 24e. if you have a head for hights (and its not that bad) do 'The Ring' up on a cable car, a pleasent and interesting 3k walk, then down on a chair lift, finished with a boat ride back. All for 11e. Across the river is Bingham, so you could stay there and catch the ferry. Along the road our next stop was a lovely stelleplatz at Bacharach, right on the river 7e. You pay at campsite next door, Camping Sonnineck, we ate here and it was very good. This is a very nice area, with plenty going on. From here we did a boat trip to St. Goar and Boppard.with KD line. A tip, if your over 60 you get it half price on a Monday and Friday with this line.
I also agree that once you get as far as Koblence,you must go along the mosel to Trier.
Hope this helps
Regards Pat :thumb:

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
I told a German Engineer working with us once we`d been to the Rhine, he just laughed (vat you go to ze Rhine for we Germans would never go to zat place) in retrospec I saw his point. Have a re-think for about 18 days of your holiday.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Dont know about the Rhine Valley but the Rhine Falls are fantastic. Just over the border from the Black Forest in Germany. There is a large grassy car park where you can stay overnight for about £3 (Cheap in Switzerland I think). If you walk or cycle about half a mile down from the car park and falls there is some fantastic swimming (fast flowing though) and you have the Black Forest (Titisee etc) and Lake Constance only a short drive away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back