serious damp in moncayo (1 Viewer)

D

Dan T

Deleted User
Just found that the the rear section of the floor (at least 2 ft across the full width) is soft on the underside of our 04 coachbuilt moncayo 465. Also the lower edges of the walls appear to be damp. discusing the issue with a fellow Moncayo owner (03) he has pretty much the same problem. looks like a very poor design as the water runs down the outersurface of the walls and wicks around the corner into the exposed woodwork of the side pannels, not sure how it gets into the plywood / battons that make up the sandwich floor but once in, the plastic sheet stapled to the underside ensures it stays there.
Van has never been damp checked since bought privatly 3 years ago (i naively assumed the structure would be made of substancial quality material), is there any point in approaching the manufacturers (Moncayo based in Spain) as its clearly poor design / build / materials?
or will i get nowhere - if i have to refurbish myself has anyone any tips on how to dry it out, treat and or replace pannels (floor is ply, foam, ply sandwich with wooden battons for structure, sides appear to be GRP, ply, foam, ply sandwich with a plywood edge.

any hints / tips would be most welcome
Dan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
This sounds like juddergate - design error and too big for the makers to afford to do the right thing.

So they've put plastic sheet underneath to stop road spray by they didn't consider water on top of it ?? A sort of "honest" mistake.

I'd be getting my circular saw out and cutting out the floor, you can't do anything until you know how far it's gone and start drying it out. Next essential is to correct their design errors. And finally make good the damage, if I'm not stating the bleeding obvious.

Hmmmm, I sprayed our underside with Waxoyl just last month, I wonder if I've made the same mistake ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
sorry to hear your woes, we had a similar damp problem in our last van that I had to repair all be it on a smaller scale.

Are you sure you have located the source of ingress?

If you are sure then you then need to know the extent of which the ingress has ingressed :Doh:

It always sounds an awful thing/prospect but in reality repairing is a pain in the arsx difficult to do with out a workshop and will show obvious repairs for future resale.

I basically brutally cut mine out, contacted Olearys motorhome supplies, ordered new wall board and floor board of a similar design and replaced it all with a neat cut between good and bad wood. It was just a pain to do and I now know why dealers charge so much to do it, Its very time consuming.

I sold my van on without an issue and pointed the repaired problem to the buyer whom commented that it was a good standard of work ::bigsmile:

The only other thing I would say is that it is really really really a messy job and before your saw comes out, run it to a dealer and ask for a repair costing, you might be pleasantly suprised.

Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
[COLOR=blue said:
Hmmmm, I sprayed our underside with Waxoyl just last month, I wonder if I've made the same mistake ?[/COLOR]
I would tend to agree. wood is a natural product and needs to breath, far better to apply a fence protection system ie preservative rather than a barrier or sealant. and reserve the waxoil for its intended purpose, steelwork protection, only my opinion of course

Dont know whats happend to the quote system its screwed up
Geo

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I have used Waxoil on wooden floors on both caravans and motorhomes but normally when new, before damp has had a chance to get in. Normally have done it during a warm dry period [ don't seem to get them now] and have never had problems.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
and reserve the waxoil for its intended purpose, steelwork protection, only my opinion of course
Geo

I didn't want to hear that !

Different conditions, I probably don't have a damp problem, I *do* have spray underneath.

Actually I *did* have a damp problem, after a shower in the spring I heard "plop, plop, plop", I said to 'er indoors "I don't like the sound of plop, plop, plop" so I pulled the shower to pieces and found frost damage on the tap - the shower flex loop held water in the tap. Minor damage some SA glue fixed. Just a few drips though, no cause for concern.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back