Any tips for Scandinavia? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We are considering having a look maybe at all 5 Scandinavian countries in May / June / July. Any thoughts or suggestions? We'll be taking on a bit of skiing along the
way if possible.
Either go from Newcastle to Bergen
Or Harwich to Esbjerg
Or the Germany connection
Any ideas whatsoever appreciated.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes been reading blogs about taking loads of booze and flour to make our own bread!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Really? No I didn't know
Where can we get a ferry then?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Any must see places?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're setting off June 1st to travel through Germany, ferry to Denmark then Sweden, Norway, Finland and return, allowing 6 weeks. Might see you along the way?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Great
we'll be behind you so post your recommendations

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We did a tour of Norway a year ago
Driving up via Denmark
Broken Link Removed

My top tips would be to take your own drinkies and also part baked bread, which lasts ages

Enjoy !

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We sailing hull to Rotterdam on June 6th for 4 weeks. Planning on driving to Germany , then sailing into Sweden. Camping near Malmö , and then getting the train into Copenhagen , as crossing the bridges seem really expensive .
After this we have no idea, maybe travel to northern Norway, or travel around the Baltic through Finland , Latvia, Estonia etc....who knows !!!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We sailing hull to Rotterdam on June 6th for 4 weeks. Planning on driving to Germany , then sailing into Sweden. Camping near Malmö , and then getting the train into Copenhagen , as crossing the bridges seem really expensive .
After this we have no idea, maybe travel to northern Norway, or travel around the Baltic through Finland , Latvia, Estonia etc....who knows !!!
We did similar in 2014, Newcastle to Amsterdam then drove to Travmunde where we spent a lovely evening before catching the ferry next morning. We then spent the night in Malmo before catching train to Copenhagen.
We then drove up the west coast of Sweden into Norway and up to Flam before heading back to Oslo and then ferry to top of Denmark

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Took the van on the train in Malmo?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Reading your blog Robert very interesting
Can you confirm you can drive your van into the train /tram?

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Read in Go Motorhoming Europe (book) that you can get ferries via Shetland and Faroe Islands to Iceland. Has anyone done this and would it work out way costlier than going via Germany Denmark etc? Any idea of the ferry cost from Iceland to Norway?
Being lazy as I can google it but wondered if anyone had done it?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Read in Go Motorhoming Europe (book) that you can get ferries via Shetland and Faroe Islands to Iceland. Has anyone done this and would it work out way costlier than going via Germany Denmark etc? Any idea of the ferry cost from Iceland to Norway?
Being lazy as I can google it but wondered if anyone had done it?

The Smyril Line ferry (Norrona) from Scrabster, and later Aberdeen, to the Faroes and Iceland finished long ago. For ten years until about 2008 they stopped off in Lerwick in the Shetlands on the way to Esbjerg. That finished with the financial crisis, as did the route to Bergen, so the only sea route to the Faroes and Iceland now is from Hirtshals on the northern tip of Jylland/Jutland. We've been to the Faroes via Harwich/Hook of Holland with the car but it involves hotels along the way given the distance and sailing schedules. Having family in the Faroes we don't take the van anyway but it would obviously negate the need for hotels in your case. Expensive though, we're not far off a couple of grand by the time we add in all the costs which is why we invariably fly now and borrow or rent a car when we need it.

Edit: In the days when we went from Scrabster it cost us around £450/500 depending on season and took about 13 hours to Torshavn. When it shifted to the Shetlands the P&O ferry from Aberdeen was overnight and added a similar figure to our costs. We then had to kill from 7.00am until 2.00am the following morning waiting for Norrona from Denmark. Nice the first year or two but tedious after that and the weather was usually awful even in the summer. We are planning to take the car this year in August via Rotterdam as it's a while since we did that route and the negatives, like the 30 odd hour crossing from Denmark, tend to wear off given a few years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you! Is that with the Smyrol line? Can you give me an idea of cost of ferry from Denmark to Iceland ? Been trying all afternoon on their website to get a figure but then I am half way across the channel on a ferry!

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
I guess I will have to is revisit my original plan of visiting all five Scandinavian countries in one trip.
We have to be back in the UK for a wedding in august and it's not a trip I'd want to rush.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Now you're pushing your luck, but as you're a fellow Norfolking Funster here's a rough idea. :LOL:

With one or two odd exceptions the second half of June, all of July and the first 3 weeks of August is high season (blue on their sailing schedule). For some reason the 7th and 14th of August departures from The Faroes back to Denmark are Mid season (orange), whether that reduces the price on that leg only would need to be queried.

Hirtshals to Iceland

Based on the High season prices a 5 metre motorhome with 2 people costs from €725 to €829 one way depending on inside/outside cabin with bunks/lower singles or double bed. A quick google suggests your Hymer, if that is still your van, is a fraction short of 7 metres so they add a piffling €183 PER METRE on top. Remember that’s one way but to lessen the blow it is in euros not sterling.

Mid season is around €100 cheaper for the one way price with the extra per metre on the van €20 less i.e €163 per metre.

The crossing to the Faroes is around 30 hours with a further 14 hours to Iceland. The terminal in Iceland is Seydisfjordur on the east coast around 400 miles from Reykjavik.

Neither way gives you any time in the Faroes, with a quick turnaround they are not going to allow vehicles off for a quick jaunt. If you want time there you would need to book it as a stopover and continue later in the week either direction.

Have fun.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you Bailey58
Very kind
Hope we get to meet some time.

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
My mrs is Swedish from Pitea in the north of Sweden. We made trip from UK to her town tons of times. Just drove through Denmark last week in a 7m m/home and the 2 bridges cost me £140.... Cheaper to go Rostock to Trelleborg on ferry £95. I start my holiday as soon as I leave Barnsley and plan all my camperstops in advance. Enjoy the trip.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hi Stuart jagger a warm welcome from us here in Ragunda kommun , Piteå lovely part of the country, enjoy your travels regards AlfandM.

fred flintstone

Free Member
Jul 12, 2016
lincoln
Funster No
MH
Pilote P690
Exp
Since 2007 on and off
Thanks alfandM. Sweden is a lovely country, if you can handle the mygg.
We are staying here until 14 August, we like Piteå Dans och Ler and Stora Nolia.
Then south I think.
Do you live over here?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back