Conrad Anderson (don't think so) (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Has anyone dealt with this company I spoke to them at p'boro about new coil springs phoned to book van in with a very erratic receptionist then spoke to someone in service about which springs and what he asked me was does my fiat Ducati chieftain have two front doors by now not giving me confidence anyway booked in then got E mail asking for 20/ pc deposite -£125 so phoned back asked why she said because some people don't pay us I told her she has my van until the bill is paid that's the procedure when I have it serviced or repaired and with my cars anyway I object to giving my money to someone for six weeks without having anything done gone elsewhere and they were much more friendly

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Very strange attitude, I'd only heard good things about them. Had my front springs done by Dave Newell in Telford. Dropped van off, went to Blists Hill museum for the day, came back, all done. No fuss at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Conrad Anderson supplied and fitted a cruise control for me a little while back. Everything went perfectly.

They only have a small amount of working space at their premises.

Maybe, just maybe, people have booked in for work in the past and not turned up. A deposit might, just might, mean they don't keep space available for these folk?

JJ

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I suspect JJ has it, every rally I have been on there are no shows, they may genuinely have forgotten, but my suspicion is that if a deposit had been paid, or even payment in full, they might be less likely to forget

I run a small business and twice this month the day before we were due on site to do work, my customers have rung to cancel, we will redo the work later, but what do I do with the 2 men allocated to that job the following day, that I suspect would be similar for this company with either a no show or change of mind. Plus the bits they are going to to fit for you might even need to be paid for prior to delivery, credit is much harder to get these days, if something is bought in specially for a job that then gets cancelled what do they do with the bits ?

That is my take on the deposit bit at least

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They have a very good reputation I've bought items from them in the past. I agree with you about the deposit.
The question about door seems perfectly reasonable, they can't be expected to know every model, my van only has a drivers door and that was an optional extra.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I used Conrad Anderson for my E&P Jacks, I even offered them a deposit but it was turned down.
When it looked as if the job would take longer than expected they offered to put me in a Hotel and pay for same. I had to take the van back to them for some checks and tighten everything up and they offered a contribution to my fuel cost. This company bent over backward to gain and retain my business and I would recommend them to anyone.
@Brendan and I were discussing the side cameras at Chester and this is the first company who demonstrated them to me. I will happily return my van to them if and when I decide to have them fitted.

1st Rate Company. (y)

Maybe just maybe the Great British Public have messed them around or failed to pay once too often and as a result they have decided to take deposits.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Probably rather than a deposit on the job it's a deposit on springs they have to buy in, if you never showed they would have them stuck on their hands.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I think it is maybe a failure of communication here? As @Gooney says I would guess this is a deposit for the springs as they won't keep every single type in stock. This combined with no shows are what caused this. If the receptionist explained this maybe no issues?

For things like Oyster and cruise control they may keep these in stock so no deposit is required?

I have never heard a bad word about Conrads...

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I've just ordered E & P jacks from another company and they asked for a 25% deposit because they have to order them in.
To me that seems like sensible business practice and I didn't have any problem with that.
I have also used Conrad Anderson in the past and found them an excellent company to deal with.

Richard.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
First class company, First class reputation never heard a bad word about them.

For the record they are a competitor so I have absolutely nothing to gain in recommending them

They are just nice people doing a decent job

A few weeks ago we had a "no show" on a Saturday. Two fitters, who could be at home with their families, or away in their campers, ringing round trying to find out why a customer didn't bother to show up

It did mean an inevitable discussion in the staff room Monday morning about Van Bitz starting to take deposits! Worse for us as we have a waiting list for people that want work done, so an empty workshop doesn't just impact on us, but our decent customers as well

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They simply want to know if you have two cab doors because it is more time consuming for them if you don't (e.g. A class ) and thus dearer
Surely easy enough to answer?
They did mine and I recommend them

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Conrad Anderson fitted the rear air assist in Udo.

We had a few last-minute issues with their scheduling, but they pulled through and got the job done. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yeah - but if you happen to be a customer who didn't know some vans - let alone Mohos - only have one door - you would indeed be totally mystified at the question, I should imagine!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yeah - but if you happen to be a customer who didn't know some vans - let alone Mohos - only have one door - you would indeed be totally mystified at the question, I should imagine!
Yes but you'd know the answer wouldn't you
Perhaps ask why it is relevant

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had my refillable gas bottles fitted at conrad Anderson. Left them to meet up with friends in Norfolk.
Turned gas on, had leak. Not impressed. Luckily friend sorted out.
When I phoned them, they said could not test as no gas in them.
Unbelievable! !!!!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
To be honest if I'd know about SAP near Doncaster I would have come here as its a much better facility and easier access

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had my refillable gas bottles fitted at conrad Anderson. Left them to meet up with friends in Norfolk.
Turned gas on, had leak. Not impressed. Luckily friend sorted out.
When I phoned them, they said could not test as no gas in them.
Unbelievable! !!!!
That is just daft! Surely they could, and should, have put some gas in them to ensure that it was safe to use!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
VB coil springs on coach built £640 at SAP Doncaster

He also does comfortmatic clutches (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
That is just daft! Surely they could, and should, have put some gas in them to ensure that it was safe to use!
you would be amazed how many people fit Gaslow and don't have autogas on site to fill and test.

Equally when we say that a typical installation time is between one and two hours, which takes into account, fitting, mounting the external fill point, filling with gas and then testing, we get told that they have had a quote for one hour!

At which point we politely decline the work lol

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
you would be amazed how many people fit Gaslow and don't have autogas on site to fill and test.

Equally when we say that a typical installation time is between one and two hours, which takes into account, fitting, mounting the external fill point, filling with gas and then testing, we get told that they have had a quote for one hour!

At which point we politely decline the work lol
Eddie, I've fitted it myself to several vehicles so know that sometimes it can be quick and other times it can be a pig especially if it's a tight fit and you need to be some sort of contortionist to get to where you need to! However that doesn't excuse any company who works on a gas system not testing it to make sure it is safe afterwards which, I suggest, is what a customer would expect it to be. For this to be the case for a system installed by a long standing, well respected, company such as Conrad Anderson, I am absolutely amazed as I thought better of them (even though I've never used them personally).

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie, I've fitted it myself to several vehicles so know that sometimes it can be quick and other times it can be a pig especially if it's a tight fit and you need to be some sort of contortionist to get to where you need to! However that doesn't excuse any company who works on a gas system not testing it to make sure it is safe afterwards which, I suggest, is what a customer would expect it to be. For this to be the case for a system installed by a long standing, well respected, company such as Conrad Anderson, I am absolutely amazed as I thought better of them (even though I've never used them personally).
Er, I didn't make any excuses for anyone.

I do think that the first question that I would ask if I were asking a Company to install a refillable system would be "Have you bulk gas on site to test it after it's installed"

Most don't, worse still I know many people are told to drive away and get it filled and bring it back if there is a leak!

Boooooooooom!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Er, I didn't make any excuses for anyone.

I do think that the first question that I would ask if I were asking a Company to install a refillable system would be "Have you bulk gas on site to test it after it's installed"

Most don't, worse still I know many people are told to drive away and get it filled and bring it back if there is a leak!

Boooooooooom!
Never said you were making any excuses for anyone Eddie, I was referring to the first sentence of my post meaning that the time it takes to fit shouldn't be an 'excuse' for their not having time to check it for safety. (y)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I don't have Autogas on site to fill cylinders or tanks but I do pressure test using an existing cylinder as a source of test pressure. As anyone who has seen me fitting at shows will know I test every install, both fill and take off pipework.

Going back to the OP and the "deposit" issue, we now generally ask customers to pay for air suspension kits at time of ordering simply because we have had a couple of occasions where they gave us the wrong vehicle information at time of ordering so we couldn't fit the kit we had ordered in (non returnable). We then ended up with expensive kits sat on the shelf for a long time before someone else needed that particular kit. If the customer pays for the kit at order time the responsibility is on them to make sure they give the correct vehicle details.

D.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

Boooooooooom!

Shakes head slowly in total disbelief o_O

All this H + S and EU regulations you really wouldn't think it could be possible

Great advice re the 'will you be able to test it?'

Should really not even need asking, or should be 'you will of course be testing it before we drive away'

Still shaking head in disbelief :(

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
They simply want to know if you have two cab doors because it is more time consuming for them if you don't (e.g. A class ) and thus dearer
Surely easy enough to answer?
They did mine and I recommend them
Exactly, Techno. Had my Laika Rexosline A Class front coil springs done by Conrad Anderson and the fact that it has two cab doors simplified access for the work. A very good job done and no up front deposit.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don't have Autogas on site to fill cylinders or tanks but I do pressure test using an existing cylinder as a source of test pressure. As anyone who has seen me fitting at shows will know I test every install, both fill and take off pipework.

Going back to the OP and the "deposit" issue, we now generally ask customers to pay for air suspension kits at time of ordering simply because we have had a couple of occasions where they gave us the wrong vehicle information at time of ordering so we couldn't fit the kit we had ordered in (non returnable). We then ended up with expensive kits sat on the shelf for a long time before someone else needed that particular kit. If the customer pays for the kit at order time the responsibility is on them to make sure they give the correct vehicle details.

D.
Sorry Dave I should have said that some people, and I know you do, have bothered to buy the pressure testing equipment

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
VB coil springs on coach built £640 at SAP Doncaster

He also does comfortmatic clutches (y)

Mick will turn his hand to anything given the chance....he might have second thoughts though when it comes to replacing light bulbs :rolleyes:

If you get the chance Andy, ask him if he's considering expanding his product portfolio even further to include bespoke stainless steel exhausts? His favourite Eura Mobil might be in need of one!

Cheers

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back