LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
its my first day off work since the france tour, so I treid cleaning the m/h, but the top front has more dead bugs on it than enought, I've tried just doing it with an extending bursh dipped in fenwicks, but their stuborn buggers, must have been limpet flys:ROFLMAO:

so it there a product to get them off with distroyed the gel coat or is it just get up real close and get scrubbing (trying not to fall of the ladders again :Doh:)

sides are easy pessy mind

Ps hurry and reply Ive only got a short tea break

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Did you use the red fenwicks motor home cleaner, I normally mix up a solution and spray on with a garden spray, then scrub with a long brush don't worry what it looks like at first, if need be do again, before washing off with bobby dazzler in the water then dry normally works for me.
Sometimes works better if you can catch between showers when the blighter's are damp.
Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I have never found anything better than elbow grease. :ROFLMAO:
I try to soak them as much as possible before the big clean, then a damp cloth and lots of rubbing.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Did you use the red fenwicks motor home cleaner, I normally mix up a solution and spray on with a garden spray, then scrub with a long brush don't worry what it looks like at first, if need be do again, before washing off with bobby dazzler in the water then dry normally works for me.
Sometimes works better if you can catch between showers when the blighter's are damp.
Best of luck

no mines yellow? didn't know it came in red? mine was lkeft over from the caravan, they do one just for m/hs

Im off for a google

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I have never found anything better than elbow grease. :ROFLMAO:
I try to soak them as much as possible before the big clean, then a damp cloth and lots of rubbing.

thats the rub (pun intented) without someone holding the ladders I cant get close to the buggers, I've done my best for now, I'll have wait for o/h to help

do scouts still do bob a job, its worth 5p to do it

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
To do the top front of mine I get onto the roof, lye flat on my front and reach down.

As far as whats to use is concerned its as above.

You may need a couple of goes if it is really bad.

Jim
:Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
no mines yellow? didn't know it came in red? mine was lkeft over from the caravan, they do one just for m/hs

Im off for a google

Yes if you find Fenwicks motor home cleaner it should solve your problems:winky:and it works from the ground, have to do mine on my own wife's disabled so ladders not an option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Yes if you find Fenwicks motor home cleaner it should solve your problems:winky:and it works from the ground, have to do mine on my own wife's disabled so ladders not an option.

yep just on been the site, looks ok to me, it'll still need a good rub though

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
try a non scratch scourer and some light elbow grease, it works on mine, just ensure that you use NON SCRATCH, Vileda make them,

Why we are on the subject of cleaning (sorry to hijack your thread), does everyone stand on their roof, as I am very reluctant to?

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
cant remember the name but halfrauds do a winscreen cleaning foam that is designed to lift fly arse off screens and bonnet fronts.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try a non scratch scourer and some light elbow grease, it works on mine, just ensure that you use NON SCRATCH, Vileda make them,

Why we are on the subject of cleaning (sorry to hijack your thread), does everyone stand on their roof, as I am very reluctant to?

sure do nick but at 17st i keep away from the roof lights/vents/overcab joint.:RollEyes:

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
sure do nick but at 17st i keep away from the roof lights/vents/overcab joint.:RollEyes:

Must admit that at 15 st I am reluctant , we have a ladder and roof rack and top box, I am always trying not to touch the roof, I will try kneeling on it next time I am up, just hope I do not go through:whatthe:

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Fly and Tar removal spray from my local Poundland does the trick for me. A quick sprey, and then a rub with a cloth removes them PDQ:Smile:

An old trick that I read once also works well. An old string vest is 'rough' enough to remove them quite easily without damaging the paint. I'm clean out of string vests though......:roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Must admit that at 15 st I am reluctant , we have a ladder and roof rack and top box, I am always trying not to touch the roof, I will try kneeling on it next time I am up, just hope I do not go through:whatthe:

ply skin and decor board inside, 1.5" to 2" polystyrene foam core, ply skin outside covered in a GRP/ABS moulding.
reckon you'de need to jump on it go go through.

reason i said avoid the vents/rooflights is its a weak point......open edges aint all that strong.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've found those eraser foam blocks work well. They are sold in various shops under JML and Duzzit brand names (probably others too). Aldi do a version as well.

Graham

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
ply skin and decor board inside, 1.5" to 2" polystyrene foam core, ply skin outside covered in a GRP/ABS moulding.
reckon you'de need to jump on it go go through.

reason i said avoid the vents/rooflights is its a weak point......open edges aint all that strong.

You are starting to build my confidence :thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
sounds daft but I wait a good shower then drive the van on a good blast along the bypass. At 65 mph and heavy water on them those flies take off. If not its Fenwicks, elbow grease and a good scrubber.

Incidently I walk all over my roof without a problem, but im in the fly weight catogary but catchingup fast since stopping smoking.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back