Exterior barbecue gas point ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Apologies if this is old ground for many....
We are considering having a gas point fitted on our Hymer outside to power a plug in barbecue. We have LPG cylinders fixed for heating etc (does anyone do this on electric?)
Can anyone give me a ball park figure for for the work involved and average cost of average gas (or electric) barbecue?
Much appreciated as ever.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Gas only, we have not come across an electric option. Dealer fitted point 180, bbq as much as you want to pay but google cadac or camping gaz.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you
Any recommended barbecue? Nothing fancy just big enough for four

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you
Any recommended barbecue? Nothing fancy just big enough for four
Innocent question, now sit back and watch the arguments..........

I would recommend a Weber Q gas model. Then you can use it anywhere. Several sizes but the smallest will probably do. But make sure you get it with a direct connection to gas, rather than using small gas canisters. Best on the market but not cheap. And, used properly (low and slow with the lid down), the nearest you will get to an authentic charcoal effect in a portable gas BBQ.

Having said that I have a Q200 (older model), but it is a bit too big and heavy for the two of us. I bought a cheap smaller and lighter gas BBQ in the USA and use that now. Works well, but I hanker after bringing the Weber out of retirement.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cadac Safari Chef is probably too small and Cadac Chef is bigger, but Cadac are expensive I think, Camping gaz may be worth looking at.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I can feed four with a Safari Chef with no problems at all. One of those four is usually the boy, who eats enough for about 12 people. If it can cope with him it can cope with anything.

We've got a bigger gas bbq as well that's sat in the garage at home for ages now. We just use the Cadac.

Depending on the configuration of your van fitting an external gas point is easy. Less than 50 quid for the bits and about an hours work. I fitted my own but I don't recommend that unless you know what you're doing.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Camping Gaz make many different BBQs some only work with canisters others anything just like Cadac, they just appear to be a bit cheaper than Cadac e.g CampingGaz Party Grill 400. We also have a Safari Chef and it works very well you can do alot with it easy (ish) to keep clean and tidy.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
not sure about your Hymer, but our bottles are on the near side and our awning on the offside, that may just complicate the routing of the pipework, not know what is in the way

We are now using one of the camping gas stoves and a frying pan, cook outside without the BBQ to clean afterwards, we have also carried an electric BBQ / griddle, obviously only any good on hook up, but still something else to clean

The older I get the lazier I get :)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

I would recommend a Weber Q gas model. Then you can use it anywhere. Several sizes but the smallest will probably do. But make sure you get it with a direct connection to gas, rather than using small gas canisters. Best on the market but not cheap. And, used properly (low and slow with the lid down), the nearest you will get to an authentic charcoal effect in a portable gas BBQ.

Having said that I have a Q200 (older model), but it is a bit too big and heavy for the two of us. I bought a cheap smaller and lighter gas BBQ in the USA and use that now. Works well, but I hanker after bringing the Weber out of retirement.
If I could buy all over again I would get the weber. Super bit of kit. As it is, we use the small cadac when we cook outside

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you have a towbar ?

ferris wheel bbq grill.JPG

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks
What's good about the Weber?
Having owned one I have been entirely converted to the American way of BBQing, low and slow with the lid down. It has a heavy cast iron grill and a cast aluminium domed top that you can close down whilst the food is cooking. The cast iron maintains the heat and still enables some fat to smoke to surround the food, to give it a BBQ type taste. Heat the grill on high for 10 minutes, then put the food on, close the lid and turn the heat down. Closed lid means less oxygen and therefore fewer flare ups, so no burn't sausages that are raw in the middle. With thinner cuts you just turn them once half way through and they are done.

It is very flexible. I have used it to cook the obvious burgers, kebabs, steaks and sausages, but also I have done a pizza, and a roast chicken and pork (not all at once). Also roast vegetables are nice as are things like sweetcorn or fish wrapped in foil and baked. Last time away with the smaller non-weber one I have I even managed to cook oven chips.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
That sounds like my Dutch cooker which we carry with us and use every day.
I just fancied plugging in an outdoor BBQ outlet for entertaining and warm evening.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
For the connection you should find where the gas manifold is, there could well be a spare valve on it. The location of the gas bottles is irrelevant.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014

I have the babyQ for the van and a larger 3200Q at home.....fantastic kit, cooks brilliantly (as an oven or BBQ) - remember keep the lid closed "because if your lookin, it ain't cookin....."

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I second the Cadac Safari. Used last night at the Lyndon Top meet and 8 quality burgers fit in easily and cooked well with the lid on. Doesn't take long with the lid so easy to keep the goodies flowing!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back