sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
After reading several thesis by Charlie where he sings the praises of 476 I thought I would give it a whirl (no pun intended). I have used HD for many years and my RV used to take Sally and I two days to wax it. It was 12 metres by 3.9 high and loads of fiddly bits. We always followed the Autoglym instructions, apply and leave for up to 45 minutes to dry to a haze then polish off.We found that if you tried sooner than the haze had formed it just smeared and was hard work. Even so when dry it threw dust everywhere and we got through a mound of microfibre cloths buffing up. Sure built up the arm muscles.
But it lasted very well we would get at least 6 months between waxing and it always looked good.
So I thought I would give 476 a go today on the new Flair. She already had a coat of HD in the summer and had been in Spain for 3 months, back to the UK in November and in the barn till now. I started on the roof detailing the eyebrow and top edges, this stuff is a dream to apply, it never seems to ball up on the sponge and putting on a thin even layer is easy compared to HD. Although the Collinite instructions say leave to dry I followed Charlies instruction, did a panel then another and reverted to the first and buffed off. It was so easy to buff off, no heavy chalk dust and clogged microfibre cloth and a wonderful deep shine immediately. My arms don't ache and what I have done so far looks great.
So over the next week I will complete some more ready for our trip at the beginning of April. That will be the test, does this stuff have the durability that Charlie promised, at least as long as HD?? WE shall see.
At least its a lot cheaper than HD!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Cheers Michael, I might give that a go when I finish the HD tub.

Martin

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I've done mine with 476 twice since the summer. To be fair it probably didn't need to be waxed so soon but I'm a glutton for punishment. I've waxed both cars too. Really pleased with the results.(y)

Thanks Charlie(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
@Taran_Las

Phil you obviously really like using this product. I will buy some to bring with me in May so that you can enjoy yourself polishing my van.(y)

john

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Last week I washed the new motorhome and then applied Colinite. It took several days, but that is because I had to keep waiting for decent weather windows to do bits of it at a time. Must say happy with the results.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
@Taran_Las

Phil you obviously really like using this product. I will buy some to bring with me in May so that you can enjoy yourself polishing my van.(y)

john

John, it would be far better if I supervise and you do the waxing. With all the energy you'll expend you could eventually end up with a body like mine:LOL:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
this is what i bought of fleabay, Starbrite Premium Marine Polish with PTEF 16 oz, wipe on/wipe off.
no need to wait for drying

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How are the MHs looking after a month and a half?

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

The beauty of owning an older van..............

A bucket of warm water and Fairy Liquid................. job done

(y)(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
The beauty of owning an older van..............

A bucket of warm water and Fairy Liquid................. job done

(y)(y)

My van is old too but the paint work has lots of little scratches and almost cracks. I polish it to remove the cracks and have used a couple of different waxes which not only make it look better but seem to protect the paint from further deterioration. The waxes that I last 6 months or so but as they take the best part of day to wash, polish and wax the vehicle, I'd prefer something that lasts longer than 6 months if possible.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My van is old too but the paint work has lots of little scratches and almost cracks. I polish it to remove the cracks and have used a couple of different waxes which not only make it look better but seem to protect the paint from further deterioration. The waxes that I last 6 months or so but as they take the best part of day to wash, polish and wax the vehicle, I'd prefer something that lasts longer than 6 months if possible.

The manufacturers of my van (an Eribacar) actually state - do not polish the bodywork... I am happy to comply................:whistle:(y)

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
How are the MHs looking after a month and a half?
My Flair came out of the barn on the 6th April and sat on her pitch, in the p****** rain! Beading beautifully. Drove to Plymouth on the 10th on wet roads, down through Spain to Haro, an Aire at Monzon and then to Camping Barcelona. So the road crud applied by UK and Nth Spain weather now slightly baked on. Washed off like a dream and the micro cloth dry down revealed a shiny new Flair. So so far so good. We have had a couple of those sandy overnight showers and some rain forecast later in the week so I will wash her down again before we leave for the ferry to Sardinia on Monday. A long way from a decent longevity test but a respectable start I think.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Just cleaned off the Sahara dust from ours, deposited by the heavy winds in southern Spain in February. It was dead easy. Just wish the blasted black streaks would stop reappearing. I think I've got it nailed, and when I look again, there they are! :cry:
Will definitely be using the Collinite again, though.(y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Just cleaned off the Sahara dust from ours, deposited by the heavy winds in southern Spain in February. It was dead easy. Just wish the blasted black streaks would stop reappearing. I think I've got it nailed, and when I look again, there they are! :cry:
Will definitely be using the Collinite again, though.(y)

I've been told a cure for black streaks but won't know if it works until it rains again. I'll post the results and solution if it does work.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I've been told a cure for black streaks but won't know if it works until it rains again. I'll post the results and solution if it does work.

I'm intrigued - but I'm hoping it won't rain until next week, at the earliest!

OP
OP
sallylillian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
An update. Now been traveling for 6 weeks and washing the van can be difficult on some sites but I have found that a quick rinse over with just plain water and my lorry brush is simple and the dirt just falls off and there is the gleam underneath. So far no streaking and the red sand rain was easily dealt with. I am convinced that Collinite is a superior wax to Autoglym.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few timesšŸ˜‰
Another update (a tough test) for Colinite 476.

Decided to clean the white upvc Windows / doors using some cleaning cream.

Sort of got carried away did the soffits, barge & facia boards then the Karcher to blast off all the grime then decided to Karcher the brick work "top job"
I just forgot the van was down wind :(

Got the Karcher on the van 5hrs later then a quick wipe with a couple of micro fibre cloths and the van was as good as new.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Colinite absolutely awesome, an ostrich deposited its bowls over my highly polished motor home, two days later washed it off with just a hose pipe, no rubbing required , can't praise it enough

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back