France (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2016
Mid wales
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
Hi there,
Can anybody tell me the best ferry port to avoid the migrant problem? obviously Calais is a no go.
Been on lots of websites but not a great deal of info.
Steve

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Given where you live it would be worth checking out Hull to Zeebrugge with P & O.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Only ever been via Calais, through the tunnel, not by ferry.

Never even seen a migrant never mind had any problems.

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
You could sail from Portsmouth,We are going mid May,But still happy to use Calais ,We leave the dock and take the first turning into the town ,stock up with fuel and food and leave at the tunnel side,never had a problem and lead to believe its quiet at the moment.Which ever way you go ,have a great time and relax lol.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi there,
Can anybody tell me the best ferry port to avoid the migrant problem? obviously Calais is a no go.
Steve
Going out not a migrant to be seen, very few coming back but no threat to mhs. Tunnel for us anytime.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Starting to get a few at Dieppe now but only a handful not enough to worry about.

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
My fav entry point is Cherbourg. Brilliant to park up in the harbour aire and so much to see and do; safe as houses. Particularly good if you're interested in the invasion beaches, and if not then good free motorway to get you going, and if you're heading south it cuts a huge chunk of driving off compared to Calais. Can't beat it as an entry point in my book.
Sailing port is either Pompey or Poole.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Well I've just booked to go on the Ferry to Calais and return, for next month. I've only used the tunnel in the past, or gone to Dieppe, but barely having seen an illegal (alleged), and since we're travelling in daylight hours, not late evening, I feel confident all will be OK. I could be wrong ...

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just come back via Calais last week and the village/town has disappeared that was along the side of the motorway. We got the text from DFDS saying get there 90 minutes early. Our ferry was at 1055. Arrived at 0830 after overnighting in Bergues and straight through the customs. Internal person search by French and British customs which took 30 seconds and 2 minutes respectively. Caught the early ferry which wasnt full (Saturday morning) but to be brutally frank there just wasnt an issue and have never had one. (travel that way 3-4 times a year for past 4 years)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We also came back through the tunnel last week and spent the night before at Cite Europe.
No sign of migrants anywhere.
That was the third peaceful night at Cite Europe in the last 4 months.

Richard.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
im going out on the 22nd nextmonth, dover /calais return on the 29th, early crossing both ways, by early i mean 07.40.
will stay on canterbury park and ride i think, dont know yet

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
My fav entry point is Cherbourg. Brilliant to park up in the harbour aire and so much to see and do; safe as houses. Particularly good if you're interested in the invasion beaches, and if not then good free motorway to get you going, and if you're heading south it cuts a huge chunk of driving off compared to Calais. Can't beat it as an entry point in my book.
Sailing port is either Pompey or Poole.
Looks good idea, just checked prices seem a bit on the expensive side thou, how much time is saved between Cherbourg and Calais
Thks

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Migrants can be avoided by crossing in daylight, preferably morning as they have been up all night, up to no good, so need a long lie-in. The only time we have seen any in action was when the tunnel was closed (fire) and the queue for the ferry was miles long. They were targeting lorries though, I don't think motorhomes are a good target. They sensibly don't usually target motorhomes at aires or cite europe, as they won't know whether you're coming or going. They'd look a bit silly if they hid on board and ended up in Spain :LOL:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
All this fear of the immigrants is a bit like the gassing threads. Has anyone actually been "attacked" by the immigrants?

Joe

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi there,
Steve
Newhaven Dieppe,,Portsmouth Caen..BUSBY

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We're doing Harwich to Holland this year specifically because of the migrants at Calais. We had a nasty experience there, and our daughter gets very scared when she sees them on the side of the road.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hi there,
Steve
We came through Calais 2 weeks ago for the ferry and no problems whatsoever...

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Hi there,
Steve

Ignore all the hype. There is no problem with Calais. We are at Cite Europe as we speak - no problem. They seem to have moved the camp near to Dunkirk.

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Tunnel for us every time. Go to France several times a year and never even seen a migrant at Calais.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Not worried about events in CALAIS,,just hate the M25 to the DARTFORD CROSSING. Always cross from NEWHAVEN or PORTSMOUTH..It also saves that drive from Calais to Rouen,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back