I crawl back sheepishly to the forum.... (1 Viewer)

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Unfortunately the van wasn't suitable - gutted. Just not big enough for the mutt and me I'm afraid, I'd end up stepping on her (or worse) each time I moved. Also nowhere near enough storage room bearing in mind we'd be going for long trips of a month at least. Another thing was the (couch) bed unmade wasn't really wide enough (which is a polite way of saying I should eat less pasties!). The other problems of course were small gas bottles, water bottles and mini thetford loo, all of which would run down pretty darn quickly (especially after my beans on toast and Vindaloo!!

I got a bit carried away I'm afraid and let my heart rule my head. At least I now know what I need; there are two options:

1. Look for a motorhome rather than a campervan that I can afford, and my current limit of around £18,000 limits their availability somewhat, though there are still quite a few older ones about, but usually with high mileage and unless they're Hymers or the like they could prove costly to own.

There is a Hymer B534 for sale on ebay;

But it's bigger than I require really...

2. Hold off for now and save like crazy. The dog is now 13 and a half and suffers from a few ailments too.
Perhaps it's a little unfair to lug an old dog all round Europe? Then when the time comes re. mum's dog, I I'd be in a stronger position financially and free of worry over the old girl.

What do you guys think?

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The Hymer 534 in my opinion has one of the best layouts in a sub 6 metre van. The U shape lounge is huge, with good visibility all around. The one you posted is the last of the good uns, know as the blue stripe. That one does not seem a lot of money for a very low mileage 534.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Looks like a super van on ebay. Think it will hold it's value.

Only you can decide what is right for you though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
But it's bigger than I require really...
As long as you would feel comfortable driving it I believe that there's no such thing as too much space/storage.

2. Hold off for now and save like crazy.
And in the meantime you and the doggie will be uncomfortable?
The dog is now 13 and a half and suffers from a few ailments too.
Perhaps it's a little unfair to lug an old dog all round Europe?
We took both our elderly dogs everywhere with us in the motorhome, often making the long trip from the UK to Crete. They loved it.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
That looks good @Snowbird

If I was in the market for a sub 6 metre van I would be high tailing it to Holland right now before its gone. Once UK registered that little RMB is all of £18K. It even has satellite internet fitted with a new Oyster sat system. @Jim will tell you what that alone is worth.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
If you want something that will last a lifetime and will hold its value indefinitely and is under 5.5 metres at £11500 this will take some beating.

Broken Link Removed

That's more like it! new upholstery and would be a great van!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

Correct, I think the light ash finish is the best colour, its bright and gives the van a modern look. A full re upholstery job in half leather including curtains and floor can be done for well under £2K as I had this done on an RMB with the same woodwork and furniture coverings. So, for under £14K you would have a van that would stand out, with all the extras already factory fitted. Below is a couple of photo's of an RMB I had refurbished.
RMB makeover 009.JPG
RMB makeover 010.JPG
RMB makeover 017.JPG

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
If you want something that will last a lifetime and will hold its value indefinitely and is under 5.5 metres at £11500 this will take some beating.

What a bloody good spot Dave, that has to be the one surely.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
The Hymer 534 in my opinion has one of the best layouts in a sub 6 metre van. The U shape lounge is huge, with good visibility all around. The one you posted is the last of the good uns, know as the blue stripe. That one does not seem a lot of money for a very low mileage 534.

Thanks for your input as I don't know much about Hymers.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
To everybody who has replied many thanks. The Holland one looks good but I prefer the rear lounge and also manual transmission. Think I might go and look at the ebay one, it's only at Lyme Regis which is about 1 and half hours drive.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
To everybody who has replied many thanks. The Holland one looks good but I prefer the rear lounge and also manual transmission. Think I might go and look at the ebay one, it's only at Lyme Regis which is about 1 and half hours drive.
Good luck!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Never mind we looked at lots of vans before we found our first and changed our minds aswell. Have you bought anything on ebay as there is good advice on the forum for help.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000

The benefit of the RMB is that for an initial outlay of £11.5K he can use it as is, then if he decides to keep it he can reupholster at a later date. On the other hand, if he does not like it he can sell it on at a profit. Win..Win situation.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Never mind we looked at lots of vans before we found our first and changed our minds aswell. Have you bought anything on ebay as there is good advice on the forum for help.

I've popped "buying on ebay" and just "ebay" into the search option here, but no luck. Would you be able to direct me in the right direction please.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I've popped "buying on ebay" and just "ebay" into the search option here, but no luck. Would you be able to direct me in the right direction please.
I think it was another member buying a van on ebay. Perhaps you could start a new thread asking for advice @Minxy Girl knows a lot about E bay

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years

Snowbird what would be the possible pitfalls you'd keep in mind when viewing that ebay B534? From my quick bit of research would I be right in saying check for rust - perhaps with more chance on the chassis, and possible damp on the interior?
I note they've replaced a lot of things, which is good, are these the most important things in your book - or is there something else significant which may go once I own it?
I've read a few things on older Hymers here; would there be any problem with getting insurance/rescue cover on a 1996 van? What about spares for the Fiat base vehicle? Windscreen, that sort of thing, should I invest in a DEKRA inspection before handing over my money?
Thanks.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Snowbird what would be the possible pitfalls you'd keep in mind when viewing that ebay B534? From my quick bit of research would I be right in saying check for rust - perhaps with more chance on the chassis, and possible damp on the interior?
I note they've replaced a lot of things, which is good, are these the most important things in your book - or is there something else significant which may go once I own it?
I've read a few things on older Hymers here; would there be any problem with getting insurance/rescue cover on a 1996 van? What about spares for the Fiat base vehicle? Windscreen, that sort of thing, should I invest in a DEKRA inspection before handing over my money?
Thanks.

There is little to go wrong with the 534 other than the usual Fiat stuff, ie cambelt, gearbox etc. A friend fulltimed in a 534 for several years clocking up over 200000 miles with the only problem being a leaking shower base. Many had air suspension fitted on the rear as because they have such a large boot and storage under the U lounge people tend to overload the rear end. The same engine is fitted to much larger vans, so is basically unstressed in a small van. Some were fitted with 15in wheels and some 16in. The 16in is better and more economical in a small van. My friend told me he never had a problem with the gearbox as he never put it into 5th until he had travelled at least 15 miles. If it looks right and smells right and the service has been kept up to date, it probably is right. Take your time when viewing and make sure everything is working as it should. Do not be rushed.

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
There is little to go wrong with the 534 other than the usual Fiat stuff, ie cambelt, gearbox etc. A friend fulltimed in a 534 for several years clocking up over 200000 miles with the only problem being a leaking shower base. Many had air suspension fitted on the rear as because they have such a large boot and storage under the U lounge people tend to overload the rear end. The same engine is fitted to much larger vans, so is basically unstressed in a small van. Some were fitted with 15in wheels and some 16in. The 16in is better and more economical in a small van. My friend told me he never had a problem with the gearbox as he never put it into 5th until he had travelled at least 15 miles. If it looks right and smells right and the service has been kept up to date, it probably is right. Take your time when viewing and make sure everything is working as it should. Do not be rushed.

Excellent advice, and I really appreciate it.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Take your time when viewing and make sure everything is working as it should. Do not be rushed.
And see if there is a Funster who lives nearby who would go along for the ride and chance to have a nose around? Two heads and noses being better than one :)

If there is someone with you who isn't involved emotionally you are more likely to get a hard-headed assessment of any potential problems.

When we were selling our van we said to the people who came to view that they needed to look, go away and consider things, come back if they wanted / needed to and only then make the decision.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The benefit of the RMB is that for an initial outlay of £11.5K he can use it as is, then if he decides to keep it he can reupholster at a later date. On the other hand, if he does not like it he can sell it on at a profit. Win..Win situation.

The perennial problem here is OP don't know what he is looking at due to lack of experience. Just sees a less convenient purchase to local one. And does not realise your choice RMB in a different league from an old hymer....harsh but true...see it all the time on here. Let's hope yours not a wasted effort, a fantastic buy as someone may see the sense of it:)

Eddie

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
The perennial problem here is OP don't know what he is looking at due to lack of experience. Just sees a less convenient purchase to local one. And does not realise your choice RMB in a different league from an old hymer....harsh but true...see it all the time on here. Let's hope yours not a wasted effort, a fantastic buy as someone may see the sense of it:)

Eddie

I think if you read back through the postings you'll see that given the choice I'd prefer a rear u shaped lounge and I didn't want an automatic transmission either. I may not even want either!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I think if you read back through the postings you'll see that given the choice I'd prefer a rear u shaped lounge and I didn't want an automatic transmission either. I may not even want either!
That still looks a really good buy and if you didn't like it you could sell on at no loss at all

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You can lead em to water, BUt........:whistle:
you can't make them buy a van which is not what they want ... at the end of the day whilst the financial side is important there's no point in buying a van with a layout you simply don't want.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
you can't make them buy a van which is not what they want ... at the end of the day whilst the financial side is important there's no point in buying a van with a layout you simply don't want.

Agree...But I never knew anyone that knew what they wanted until they actually saw it. Am often asked, what next. I haven't a clue until I see it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back