Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30+
We are planning to take our motor home to France around the 1st. Oct. until around the 29th.
Any suggestions on how to find the cheapest, maybe Dover Calais Thanks
Derek and Ch:thumb:ris

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are planning to take our motor home to France around the 1st. Oct. until around the 29th.

My first port of call is:

Link Removed

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Derek and Ch:thumb:ris, ( sorry ) Derek and Chris, when we go from Dover we have for a long time now gone with Seafrance, but since the cash-flow problem they are not the cheapest ( for us anyway ):Doh: So when we go January we go with Norfolkline on a 06.00 crossing as we have a trailer and its dark and cold makes little difference, just get going and make the most of the day light we have...............:RollEyes:::bigsmile: Bob.

Give it a try, it may be better for you too.:whatthe:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Without doubt Norfolkline is the cheapest but you have to be prepaired to travel at an unsociable hour.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
norfolk line.......dover>dunkirk....dunkirk>dover

1st oct > 29th oct

your van and two people. (upto 8mtrs)

4am from dover......6am from dunkirk.

£90 return

doesnt get much cheaper than that and calais is only 20 odd miles south.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I always check all three ferry operators, SeaFrance, P&O, plus Norfolkline, and always compare prices.

SeaFrance has always been the cheapest apart from one year when i went with P&O. But don't bother about having an onboard meal......the prices are totally ludicrous.

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Got a P&O crossing, 21:25 outbound and 23:00 inbound 2 weeks later in sept £75 return in a 7m MH, it was less when we looked at it last week.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
P&O Ferries for the days you have listed £81.25 return check the site for the times
this example leaves dover at 01.00 on the 1st October and return from Calais 29th at 12.00 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:I have just checked this.

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
Lately we have booked one way tickets as we have found this cheaper. Only downside is that Seafrance and Norfolk wil bill you in euros if coming from France.
Also dont forget to try LD Lines they were listed at £42 for daytime crossing mid week the other day.

The best way I found is to just try all 4 operators (LD, Seafrance, P&O and Norfolklines) online.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

If you go back to a ferry site to re-check the prices and they have gone up, try deleting your/their cookies from your browser then try again, it really does make a difference sometimes

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
All three prices for our outfit are,Norfolkline £110.
Seafrance £256
P&O £226
These are return prices for a 9 metre RV towing a 3 metre toad, All on the same day,Dover-Calais 1 Oct Calais-Dover 31 Oct. Except of course Norfolkline going to Dunkirk. Just a slight difference in price dont ya think??

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
All three prices for our outfit are,Norfolkline £110.
Seafrance £256
P&O £226
These are return prices for a 9 metre RV towing a 3 metre toad, All on the same day,Dover-Calais 1 Oct Calais-Dover 31 Oct. Except of course Norfolkline going to Dunkirk. Just a slight difference in price dont ya think??

that amazing Dave.......considering when i posted my reply i had just checked prices with norfolk line and a motorhome with a trailer coming in at 12mtr total length was an EXTRA £120....thats an extra £120 :Eeek:

from their booking pages..

Motorhome towing TrailerUp to 12m long£15/€22.50

*for each additional metre (single leg)

thats an additional 4 mtrs, at £15 per mtr, over their standard 8mtr max length for a motorhome before the price rises due to length.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
that amazing Dave.......considering when i posted my reply i had just checked prices with norfolk line and a motorhome with a trailer coming in at 12mtr total length was an EXTRA £120....thats an extra £120 :Eeek:

from their booking pages..

Motorhome towing TrailerUp to 12m long£15/€22.50

*for each additional metre (single leg)

thats an additional 4 mtrs, at £15 per mtr, over their standard 8mtr max length for a motorhome before the price rises due to length.
Hi John, Just checked prices and as far as I am concerned the Dover-Calais boats should be flying the jolly roger.We never book return and rarley book much before a couple of days before we go. When I towed my boat over to Holland behind the Rv total length was 17 metres and Norfolkline charged me £52 so I have stayed with them ever since.P&O once charged me extra on a return ticket when I was returning from overwintering in Spain. The reason they gave,was it was now another year and the prices had gone up since I booked the return 6 months earlier.Neadless to say they have not had a penny off me since.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi John, Just checked prices and as far as I am concerned the Dover-Calais boats should be flying the jolly roger.We never book return and rarley book much before a couple of days before we go. When I towed my boat over to Holland behind the Rv total length was 17 metres and Norfolkline charged me £52 so I have stayed with them ever since.P&O once charged me extra on a return ticket when I was returning from overwintering in Spain. The reason they gave,was it was now another year and the prices had gone up since I booked the return 6 months earlier.Neadless to say they have not had a penny off me since.:thumb:

one way this saturday for your Allegro and two people sailing at 6am will set you back

£72.

thats just the RV + 2 people one way.

OP
OP
Freestyle

Freestyle

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30+
Thankyou

Thanks for all your help and advice. Great!
The best price I have found for our 6m. motor home is £84 return with LD Lines. Doesn't seem bad for a speedy crossing! Looks like that is the one we will go for.
Thanks again!:thumb:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hi,

If you go back to a ferry site to re-check the prices and they have gone up, try deleting your/their cookies from your browser then try again, it really does make a difference sometimes

was just going to recommend the same.....

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Thanks for all your help and advice. Great!
The best price I have found for our 6m. motor home is £84 return with LD Lines. Doesn't seem bad for a speedy crossing! Looks like that is the one we will go for.
Thanks again!:thumb:
Thats a good price though i've never heard of them before.

Worth keeping an eye on 'em as the last ferry company to do battle with P&O and SeaFrance didn't last more than a few months before 'the big two' chased 'em off!

Unlike others, i don't stick with one company out of some kind of misguided loyalty simply because they once did me a good deal. Every time i make a booking, i cross check other company fares and if i can save a couple of quid....then i go with them. Youv'e done the right thing by going with the cheapest on offer.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Doubt if Seafrance or P&O will choose to fall out with such a large French freight company - Louis Dreyfus, if you tend to visit France you will no doubt have seen their lorries.

They all tried to 'kill' Speedferries, who employed some right little Hitlers on the check-in desks though at Dover and in Boulogne. There would be a queue about a mile long at check in which you would join 3 parts of an hour before check-in closed then when you got to the window, the first car and trailer having the tickets for the ditto behind them and the ditto behind them - they would advance the clock to 5 past the hour (despite the BBC 'timecheck for the hour' going on your car radio AFTER the third car left the check-in) and say you were late and put you on standby.

This happened to us more than once. We said how can this happen, we booked and paid 6 months ago? Because there was room for X number of cars and they ALWAYS booked X + 10. Usually they squeezed about 5 extra on. You weren't allowed half a cm over length. I loved Kurt when he started - but not by the time he'd finished.

LD don't seem to have the constant problem of other lines conveniently 'breaking down' and 'parking' their ferry on the LD berth. We travelled with em when the Cat was 1 week old, there was no space with them when we booked our latest trip. And P&O were actually cheaper than Norfolk that day LOL.

Incidentally I have used in years past a certain generic ferry booking website, many successful times. However when we booked the latest trip their site didn't even tell us there WAS a ferry at the departure time that we booked, plus booking direct with P&O was actually about £8 cheaper than their cheapest quoted fare.

So I think it's every man for himself but allow yourself about an hour and a half on the Net once you are actually ready to book!

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

Hi Derek and Chris,

We like Norfolk Line, if you book an early crossing home you can stay the previous night on the Dunkirk side near the ticket office. It is very safe and you can even have a hot shower for free!

Are you staying in France or going through to Spain? Try the aire at Uzerche, it is very beautiful and has the advantage of being close to the motorway, with cheap diesel and a good supermarket on the way out of the village.

They also have the best vet we have found in France, 2 dogs cost us less than half the cost of anywhere else we have taken them in France.

Ginny and Mike

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Without doubt Norfolkline is the cheapest but you have to be prepaired to travel at an unsociable hour.

Sorry but I do not agree, they are all have a periods in which they are the cheapest. We came over on the 1st Sept P&O = £31. Sea france £58. Norfolk £64. from Dover, one way.

I have found that the prices quoted on the internet change for day to day, and I start to look about 4 weeks before I want to sail and the check every day to get what I want.

Doug...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back