Calling any Ham Radio bods...... (1 Viewer)

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I know there are a few Ham radio bods on the board who will recognise this.

An ex-MOD VRC353 Clansman radio which i want to see if it will power up but have no power supply unit or fittings.

Anyone got a suitable psu?

2819c08.jpg

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
Last time i seen one of these i was in south armagh and it was fixed to a land rover, nice to see though definitely a blast from the past:thumb:

Nexus

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Pop-up
Exp
Just starting
Bulletguy,

You may have more luck on eBay, search for Military Radios or Clansman.

BrianG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have seen a number of power supplies go through ebay so well worth a look
there you go
Link Removed

various other clansman parts/cables/packs etc, just search clansman radio

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Nexus & Wildman

Yes i know about the psu's on eBay but i'm not looking to spend £100, or for that matter anything.....just to see if it will power up. Thought you 'ham' guys may have something amongst your radio junk! An old truck battery is possible with care (or 2 x12v batts), but i have neither.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Last time i seen one of these i was in south armagh and it was fixed to a land rover, nice to see though definitely a blast from the past:thumb:
Believe it or not these lumps were still being used out in Iraq!

Britain does like to hold on to it's antiquities! :RollEyes:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Believe it or not these lumps were still being used out in Iraq!

Britain does like to hold on to it's antiquities! :RollEyes:

Don't know about holding on to antiques more to tight to spend on up to date equipment.
It's a wonder we are still not using 2 tins and a ball of twine.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Don't know about holding on to antiques more to tight to spend on up to date equipment.
Very true.......but then we have to consider the abject poverty of which our 'poor' leaders live in.
Someone has to pay for their moats to be cleaned and new duck houses built for their ponds! :RollEyes:

R

reader

Deleted User
Looking at your location, why dont you see if the "Secret Bunker" mob have any of these radios. Maybe they would let you try yours out on one of their PSUs.

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Looking at your location, why dont you see if the "Secret Bunker" mob have any of these radios. Maybe they would let you try yours out on one of their PSUs.
Worth a try. Have you visited it btw? Locally we always laugh about them calling it the "secret" Bunker with road signs indicating the direction!

Tried visiting a few ex-DDR bunkers when i was in east Germany. They are open to the public but locating them is definately challenging!

OP
OP
B

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Have a look at this site, it may be of interest.

Subterranea Britannica: Home Page

BrianG
Know it well Brian....that site can lead you to some pretty amazing places the likes of which very few people know about. There used to be a very good link to the Guardian exchange, a network of tunnels built under Manchester during the cold war. Its still there of course but no idea why sub-brits taken it off.....possibly because too many folk were poking around down there!

R

reader

Deleted User
No havnt visited, but our radio club got the opportunity of some war time stuff, which one of the members "did up" and we gave it to them.
One of their guys came to collect and did a very good presentation on the bunker and the work they had done and planned.
Must admit we like you laugh when we see the signs on the road side "Secret Bunker" also on the maps etc

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
Try a Shop that sells old army gear,seems they were used by the army in probably old landrovers i would presume it would be a 12 volt job

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Nexus & Wildman

Yes i know about the psu's on eBay but i'm not looking to spend £100, or for that matter anything.....just to see if it will power up. Thought you 'ham' guys may have something amongst your radio junk! An old truck battery is possible with care (or 2 x12v batts), but i have neither.
you don't need truck batteries any pair of batteries to give you 24v will power it up in receive mode. even TX (you do have a licence I presume) will not take a lot of power unless you run it key down for a while. So use the batteries you have in the motorhome. Fuse, no problems. You do realise you are not permitted to be in possession of transmitting equipment that you do not have a licence to operate, antique or not!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back