Should I, Shouldn't I Battery monitor (1 Viewer)

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Well Kiddywinks I’ve been reading “Yes I know I shouldn’t” and it’s about the controversial, should I shouldn’t I battery monitors.

I have a battery indication on my control panel which at the moment is showing my leisure battery 11.6v (Fair) but I’ve seen on another post that 11.75v is 30% charged and leaving it at that level would damage it. I think it was Techno member I saw it on. Now I’ve driven back from Birmingham about a week ago and not been out in the van since.

So I’m a bit confused, the battery was put on new when I bought the vehicle about a month ago and I’ve only done the one run as I said to Birmingham and back.

Should I rely on the control panel monitor or will I need a dedicated battery monitor like the Nasa Marine BM-2 battery monitor which is just over £100.

I have a 100watt solar panel on the roof so I would have thought that the leisure battery by now should be nearly fully charged although I do realize that with inclement weather the solar panel will be producing very little to virtually no charge.
Many Thanks Tony

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Interesting, my opinion is just that, I am probably the least technically able on here

11.6V is not fair it is close to something far more crude beginning with the same letter though :(

But I agree with you totally that the solar should have more or less kept up with any consumption, albeit early season fairly low sun etc

Something is not right, it should not have gone so low, unless you have left something on, or something is wired incorrectly

or the battery fitted was not new (cynical me again sorry)

is the solar system also new?

let the experts take over where I have started to confuse (y)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have the Nasa BM1 compact fitted, not just so I can see the battery level but also it tells you the discharge rate amongst other things which I found handy when using different appliances. If there is a problem on your system it might highlight the problem ie rate of discharge when there is no solar power going in. I had a problem with the electrics in my van which buggered my leisure batteries so when I replaced them I had the BM-1 fitted at the same time and never let them drop below 80%. Hope this helps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
is the solar system also new
Hi David The motorhome I bought is 2008 and I assume the solar panel was installed when the vehicle was bought. The company who sold me the vehicle when they showed me the vehicle there was no battery on it and and they said they would put a new one on for me 110amp hr.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I have the Nasa BM1 compact fitted
Hi SMB I read another post which had a Nasa Marine BM-2 battery monitor fitted do you know what the difference is between your BM1 and the BM2.
I can understand how helpfull seeying the discharge in Amps when using various items but how reliable and accurate are these meters compared to the ones the motorhome companies fit?
Many Thanks Tony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like the battery has had it, if you are looking at the voltage during the day with no load on the battery and output from the solar panel I would expect 13.6 to 14.4 volts depending on the solar regulator.

Battery voltages below are off load, to get a true reading you need to check it with the solar disconnected or in the dark.

upload_2016-4-16_20-22-21.png

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hi SMB I read another post which had a Nasa Marine BM-2 battery monitor fitted do you know what the difference is between your BM1 and the BM2.
I can understand how helpfull seeying the discharge in Amps when using various items but how reliable and accurate are these meters compared to the ones the motorhome companies fit?
Many Thanks Tony

Hi Tony, the difference is the load and charge rating, the BM-1 is 100A and the BM-2 is ....200A! Just looked it up online and I'm hopeless with electrics (amongst other things) but I have 4 x 110A batteries fitted to mine so it mustn't relate to the batteries! The standard display in my van is just LED dots on a circular display, pretty crap really.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Just looked it up online and I'm hopeless with electrics
Hi SMB Join the Club I too am hopless with this sort of thing. Thanks you for finding the info on the battery monitors for me. I think I might have a problem with my system as some posts have indicated.
Many Thanks Tony

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hi SMB Join the Club I too am hopless with this sort of thing. Thanks you for finding the info on the battery monitors for me. I think I might have a problem with my system as some posts have indicated.
Many Thanks Tony
I had a wiring problem in my Sargent ECU box which meant that two circuits were drawing 5A even when the fittings on the circuits were switched off. My batteries flattened on the Portsmouth to Bilbao crossing due to lack of solar power. If you do get a battery monitor and you notice a drain, I used this to diagnose which circuits were causing the trouble, then I just removed the fuses until I could get it fixed:

Amazon product ASIN B008MOPKXI

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I used this to diagnose which circuits were causing the trouble
Hi SMB That looks a great bit of kit, am I correct in saying the two prongs plug in where the fuse goes with the fuse removed? If so I'll get one myself.
Many Thanks Tony

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hi SMB That looks a great bit of kit, am I correct in saying the two prongs plug in where the fuse goes with the fuse removed? If so I'll get one myself.
Many Thanks Tony
Yes, you remove the fuse, place it in the slot on the top of the circuit tester then plug the prongs into the ECU fuse slot. It then gives you a reading of how many amps are been drawn on the circuit. You can also get the standard size fuse tester for the base vehicles fusebox.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
You can also get the standard size fuse tester for the base vehicles fusebox
Hi SMB so the fuse I will be linking into to check if there is battery drain is the one directly at the battery, Is the link you provided the meter I need for that or the standard one?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My opinion, FWIW.

I don't have a battery monitor and don't want one. I pretty much know how long my batteries last. The solar ticks along and does its own thing. If I have the opportunity to plug in then I do so. Therefore having another bit of kit to tell me my batteries are flat would be a waste of time because there would be sod all I could do about it that I wasn't already doing.

To me it's akin to going online for a weather forecast instead of looking out the window.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Hi SMB so the fuse I will be linking into to check if there is battery drain is the one directly at the battery, Is the link you provided the meter I need for that or the standard one?
The previous link is for the mini-blade fuses which are used in the ECU box controlling the appliances in the living area. The standard fuse circuit tester for the base vehicle is this one or similar, there are a few on Amazon. I have both just in case!

Amazon product ASIN B001SBFZK0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
My opinion, FWIW.

I don't have a battery monitor and don't want one. I pretty much know how long my batteries last. The solar ticks along and does its own thing. If I have the opportunity to plug in then I do so. Therefore having another bit of kit to tell me my batteries are flat would be a waste of time because there would be sod all I could do about it that I wasn't already doing.

To me it's akin to going online for a weather forecast instead of looking out the window.

But I like gadgets (y)

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I have both just in case!
Sounds good to me SMB I'll buy both as well, By the way your more inteligent than you make out, I think you are a dark horse. lol. Thanks Tony

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Oo
In that case could I interest you in my new patented motorhome rain detection device?
Ooh yes please, how much is it and can I wire it directly to my leisure batteries...hang on, its not putting your hand out of the window is it :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Sounds good to me SMB I'll buy both as well, By the way your more inteligent than you make out, I think you are a dark horse. lol. Thanks Tony
Ha ha thanks Tony but I was shown ho to do this by a fellow motorhomer who I met when I first found out I had an electrics problem! I'm always willing to learn though :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Oo

Ooh yes please, how much is it and can I wire it directly to my leisure batteries...hang on, its not putting your hand out of the window is it :)

No it's far more technical than that.

It's a saucer.

We bolt it to a convenient surface in your motorhome directly below the 4 inch hole we drill in your roof light at no extra charge as part of the installation.

If the saucer is wet then it's raining (y)

Funster special offer price of £400 plus VAT supplied and fitted (y)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
No it's far more technical than that.

It's a saucer.

We bolt it to a convenient surface in your motorhome directly below the 4 inch hole we drill in your roof light at no extra charge as part of the installation.

If the saucer is wet then it's raining (y)

Funster special offer price of £400 plus VAT supplied and fitted (y)
Had a free one, it was called a 'sealant has perished leak' so I went for the budget 'duct tape water repeller' then upgraded to the 'Sikaflex 512 more permanent seal', looks like I saved myself a fortune. The downside is I now have to look out of the window and guess whether its raining :(

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm creeping in to this thread? :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well needless to say I don't agree with nicks views on the power management panels :LOL:....
Seriously I think for a lot of people they are worth having...
How many times do you see people asking what their usage is..
Mine constantly reminds me I have things switched on which arnt immediately obvious.. and gives me a figure of amp hrs used and the need to charge my batteries before they are too discharged... and with the ever increasing use of solar you may be seeing a healthy looking voltage and yet have used quite a few amp hrs..(while there is light )
Granted the better ones are pricy and may not be worth the bother for most but if you like gadgets...It's more interesting than the telly watching the panel....:LOL:
Andy.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well Kiddywinks I’ve been reading “Yes I know I shouldn’t” and it’s about the controversial, should I shouldn’t I battery monitors.

I have a battery indication on my control panel which at the moment is showing my leisure battery 11.6v (Fair) but I’ve seen on another post that 11.75v is 30% charged and leaving it at that level would damage it. I think it was Techno member I saw it on. Now I’ve driven back from Birmingham about a week ago and not been out in the van since.

So I’m a bit confused, the battery was put on new when I bought the vehicle about a month ago and I’ve only done the one run as I said to Birmingham and back.

Should I rely on the control panel monitor or will I need a dedicated battery monitor like the Nasa Marine BM-2 battery monitor which is just over £100.

I have a 100watt solar panel on the roof so I would have thought that the leisure battery by now should be nearly fully charged although I do realize that with inclement weather the solar panel will be producing very little to virtually no charge.
Many Thanks Tony
Our MH has the BM1 and I wouldn't be without it because it tells me if the batteries are being charged or not and the battery voltage.

Does the meter you have only show battery voltage or can you press a button and it shows current. If it can do that you don't need anything else.

OP
OP
Brakers

Brakers

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Chausson 768XLB
Exp
I'm Intermediate
I have things switched on which arnt immediately obvious.
Hi Andy That is a good point, although I'm new to motorhoming my van has so many things which need to be turned of it's easy to forget one.
Many Thanks Tony

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Ahh. I didn't realise you had a Swift. It comes as standard on those (y)
Never a truer word spoken, though its not a Konliki. And after getting caught in the Albufeira monsoon last October I can confirm that it is now as waterproof as a submarine! Ish...

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Tony, I have a Victron Battery Monitor which is a really good bit of kit. Tells me what the solar panel is putting into the battery, state of charge, how long the battery will sustain the current being drawn, discharge rate, etc, etc. It showed up a discharge when I thought nothing was operating as the vehicle was parked up, turned out to be the inverter which, whilst not being used, was not switched off and was drawing a constant small amount from the leisure batteries.

I wouldn't be without it.

Mike

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm creeping in to this thread? :)
No its just MHF members sense of humour....warped sense of humour :swear2:

Ps I forgot to mention the BM-1 has a cool blue backlight, perfect for those wet evenings when you have nothing better to do (stick your hand out of the window first to confirm it is actually raining)

20160416_224429.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back