Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We will be touring France for a month in September and will have 2 Calor Lite cylinders on board, which may not last the month, there are adaptor kits available on E bay which seem to cover every type needed for France, Spain, U.K., and Ireland, has anyone tried one of these kits, seems like a much more easier solution than Gaslow kits or separate cylinders from other countries.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Bullfinch gas do different fittings adaptor. We went to France 2 years ago for 6 weeks at that time of year with 3 calor lights and never used 2 , last one still had some left in it.

Reactions: f6c

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you know how much gas is remaining in each cylinder ?
Do you know how many litres you need to get it to 80% full ?
Do you know how to work it out ?

Very doubtful, but very important.

Proper refillables have an 80% valve inbuilt..... adaptors dont.

You should never fill a bottle above 80% as it wont allow room for expansion and could allow liquid gas to escape from the bottle when first used after filling.

And....if the pump jockey sees you connecting the hose inside a locker most will stop the pump before you start....even with gaslow/gasit bottles.

My advise......leave the adaptors on ebay.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bullfinch gas do different fittings adaptor. We went to France 2 years ago for 6 weeks at that time of year with 3 calor lights and never used 2 , last one still had some left in it.
Those are to convert the UK bayonet fillers to accept European filler nozzles.
most countries have their own type of filler.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
seems like a much more easier solution than Gaslow kits
no.. .. it is CHEAPER solution..

as John said .. leave the adapter on eBay ..

buy one refillable bottle and have the fill point outside the locker.. stay safe and legal

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi was not on about refills, I meant the adaptor from propane pig tail to the French bottle. I know you have to pay a deposit but it gets you a bottle of gas.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi was not on about refills, I meant the adaptor from propane pig tail to the French bottle. I know you have to pay a deposit but it gets you a bottle of gas.
That isnt how the wording came across.....

seems like a much more easier solution than Gaslow kits or separate cylinders from other countries.

You're still going to need a cylinder from each country you visit.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Sorry what's in the head does not always come out the fingers at the key board. Haha. It's a brass fitting they sell for the end of the pig tail I meant.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's a brass fitting they sell for the end of the pig tail I meant.

Range of adapters to connect to foreign gas cylinders.
All compatible with the 21.8LH hose.

Take your pick..

there is no universal adapter .. each country has it's own bottle type and why many think it easier to fit Gaslow or similar refillable.. myself included.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
As stated before, we will have 2 full 6KG Calor Lite cylinders and it would be simpler if we can refill them as needed, the adaptors have safety valves in them that cut off when the cylinder reaches 80%, or so it says on the blurb. We do not have the carrying space for extra cylinders, only if we leave on of our Calor ones behind to start with. I would simply remove the empty cylinder from the gas locker to refill it as required.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have 2 Calor bottles which we use in UK and 2 French bottles which we use over there. We have a Bullfinch connector for the one but have to swap the pigtail on the other (no great problem)

Wyn

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Trying to link E bay page, bit of a numbhead I'm afraid, not having much luck.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We will be touring France for a month in September and will have 2 Calor Lite cylinders on board, which may not last the month, there are adaptor kits available on E bay which seem to cover every type needed for France, Spain, U.K., and Ireland, has anyone tried one of these kits, seems like a much more easier solution than Gaslow kits or separate cylinders from other countries.
Is this not exactly why there is an increase in some retailers refusing to allow campers to fill up with LPG. Flaunting safety to save a few bob.

OP
OP
injebreck99

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
Is this not exactly why there is an increase in some retailers refusing to allow campers to fill up with LPG. Flaunting safety to save a few bob.

Maybe some people cannot afford expensive Gaslow systems!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
just to continue with the confusion

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/...jectPath=/Shops/cyujrhdmmu67/Products/01-4300

to fill via the external point we have while abroad you still need to fit an adaptor, another potential weak point IMO, the one above is one of three we know about and actually have 2 of them

we have Gaslow and also have masses of room and now always leave with the refillables filled as close as we can to the limit, plus we carry a Calor 13kg, secured in the garage, to be connected via our pig tail easy fit connector which is also our refillable connector

http://www.gaslowdirect.com/epages/...67/Products/01-6050-SS/SubProducts/01-6050-SS

never yet used 2 x 11kg refillables in a single trip, but yet to do more than 3 weeks, but they have been out of season, including Feb this year (y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Item number is 162027355040

yes, these are refilling adapters.. they don't cut out at 80%.. earlier advice stands..

there are plenty of threads and debate about them which I won't add to , all I will say is I personally wouldn't use.. and if you are seen using one you will probably be stopped..

I know it's more expensive but I would advise to fit a 6kg Gaslow and external filling point..

or 6kg Gasit which is bit cheaper

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We went down to Spain last year with a 13kg, 7kg calor and 908 camping gaz. never changed from the 13kg, (in fact it was not full when we went). I have just exchanged it for a full one this week (still not quite empty) ready for the next Spanish trip. Have now removed the 7kg. and will just be taking the 13kg calor and 908 camping which is exchangeable in europe so if we were to run out we could at least get more. I was surprised just how little gas we used over the 8 weeks we were away.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back