Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Since August 2015
Planning a trip to the Outer Hebrides in May, starting from Dumfries and Galloway, thinking of going via Oban. Ideas on camp sites, wild camping, routes, good guide books and things/places to avoid would be greatly appreciated!

I realise there have been one or two previous threads on this subject but how about an update?

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We toured this beautiful area a couple of years ago and you won't be disappointed. As Scotland welcomes motor homes wild camping isn't a problem and freedom is a plenty. We bought an island hopper ticket and set out from oban eventually sailing back to Ullapool. Make time to visit the small crofters who still weave the Harris tweed in there garden sheds.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Check out my blog for the places I visited whilst there, mind I was earlier in the year and lots of places weren't yet open for the tourist season which seems to start around the beginning of May :)
www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I wasn't going to share this as I am hoping to go in May as well :)

http://www.westharristrust.org/camping-2/camping/

they need paying for but only £5 / night

we try and use a few sites while there as well, top up tanks and give something to the community, there are quite a lot of places where a motorhome can park overnight, but as far as I know it is not actually allowed, just tolerated, we just find places where we will not be in anybodys way or where possible in near view of houses

We might see you out there maybe (y)

OP
OP
DABgp

DABgp

Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Since August 2015
Check out my blog for the places I visited whilst there, mind I was earlier in the year and lots of places weren't yet open for the tourist season which seems to start around the beginning of May :)
www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

Very interesting, thanks!

OP
OP
DABgp

DABgp

Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Since August 2015
We toured this beautiful area a couple of years ago and you won't be disappointed. As Scotland welcomes motor homes wild camping isn't a problem and freedom is a plenty. We bought an island hopper ticket and set out from oban eventually sailing back to Ullapool. Make time to visit the small crofters who still weave the Harris tweed in there garden sheds.

Thanks. Yes, been looking at a Hopscotch ticket using the same start and finish.

OP
OP
DABgp

DABgp

Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Since August 2015

we try and use a few sites while there as well, top up tanks and give something to the community, there are quite a lot of places where a motorhome can park overnight, but as far as I know it is not actually allowed, just tolerated, we just find places where we will not be in anybodys way or where possible in near view of houses

Excellent info thanks. Look out for our Ace Milano!

12321213_10154666012103136_2576555886742513429_n.jpg

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Can you not delay until June please David as we're planning on going to Scotland in May

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
We are doing that trip at the moment.
Bought the hopscotch ticket from Oban but are leaving via Stornoway to Ullapool.
Borve campsite just on the outside of Castlebay is stunning and the Isle of Barra Hotel just a walk away. Decent co op in Castlebay and try the scones in the Post Office by the pier. There are a couple of other sites, Croft 183 which is good and about 1 mile from the Heathbank Hotel. There are a couple of sites north of the airport but are pretty basic. Not too many places to wild camp on Barra.
Kilbride Camp Site on S. Uist with new shower block and cafe on site.
Benbecula has Shell Bay which is basic but clean with a Hotel next door.
End of causeway between S.Uist and Benbecula there is a spot on the left for a stop over.
We stayed at Balranald on N. Uist which is a RSPB reserve. Beautiful beaches everywhere and a nice clean site.
Lots of potential for wild camping on N.Uist.
Berneray is beautiful, cafe near the ferry terminal and lots of space at the end of the island on the beach.
There are co-ops on the main roads and fuel at Balavanich on Benbecula.
I'm sure other people have mentioned Harris, amazing beaches, a few camp sites and lots of wild camping.
We are currently on Lewis at Eilean Fraoich, Shawbost, IN THE SNOW, another nice site but pretty remote.
Stornoway is quite a few miles away, and lots of bits to see, standing stones and Butt of Lewis etc.
To be fair we have not done any wild camping as our van is a smidge big, but the natives are very friendly and won't mind providing you are not in their way.
Take a peak at .....thenavyseils.blogspot.co.uk for another view.
Kev

OP
OP
DABgp

DABgp

Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Since August 2015
Thanks Obanvanman, that's excellent, lots for us to look up. Will look at the blog too.
We are quite new to this Forum, and Motorhoming (other than a VW camper many years ago). I'm very appreciative of the response to my question in a very short time!

OP
OP
DABgp

DABgp

Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Since August 2015
Why we want to visit Harris

I have to own up: I didn't take this one. My daughter did. She has it as a canvas on the wall in her lounge, and most visitors assume it was taken on honeymoon in Thailand. Taken with Fuji bridge camera, straight jpg. My daughter isn't impressed by all my messing with raw files and HDR. She may have a point...concentrate on getting yourself to the right place,on the right day, and work on the composition?

Last edited:

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Dont miss Glen Etive- just off to the left on Rannoch moor. Most magnificent scenery- a golden eagle flew right past the van last year when we were en route to visit relations Back Home. We parked overnight in a very sheltered spot at side of road through Glencoe - go past village and keep going L H S of road big turning area opposite a lovely burn. Also some spots to the right off A 84 towards Ballachulish - near Signal Rock [well worth a visit ] Enjoy xx

OP
OP
DABgp

DABgp

Free Member
Nov 15, 2015
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Ace Milano
Exp
Since August 2015
Dont miss Glen Etive- just off to the left on Rannoch moor. Most magnificent scenery- a golden eagle flew right past the van last year when we were en route to visit relations Back Home. We parked overnight in a very sheltered spot at side of road through Glencoe - go past village and keep going L H S of road big turning area opposite a lovely burn. Also some spots to the right off A 84 towards Ballachulish - near Signal Rock [well worth a visit ] Enjoy xx

Thanks for the tip. Will have PPI refund financed monster Sigma lens with me on the Canon 5D Mk2...

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Years ago [dont ask how many!] there was a large albino stag up there-talk about monarch of the glen !!xx

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We are currently on Lewis at Eilean Fraoich, Shawbost, IN THE SNOW, another nice site but pretty remote.

Been there! Can you still use the swimming pool at the end of the road to the site?

That site is handy for a visit to The Norse Mill (take a torch) and the Blackhouse museum and the village. Two different places :) I prefer the museum at Arnol but that is probably a personal thing.

Callanish should be a "must visit". For me it was far better than Stonehenge, more impressive and less crowded, you can walk right up to the stones and the cafe is better - oh and there is (or was) no admission charge but I always make a point of leaving a donation.

If you are wilding there are showers that the public can use in some places (was going to say public showers but knew that would be misconstrued).

If you want a Harris Tweed jacket there is a shop in Stornoway that is worth a visit. You walk up towards Bayhead (A857) and it is on the right hand side of the street, set back. There is a small museum there and the man who owns it is very interesting to talk with. The shop is called The Lewis Loom Centre.

I also usually go up to the Iolaire memorial. So sad to think what happened....... sometimes you can dolphins from there though.

If you have an early ferry it is possible to say on the car park by the ferry terminal overnight if you are discrete. Once the freight ship has sailed it is very quiet. The cafe in the ferry terminal is open until quite late and you can use the other facilities in the terminal (no showers though) and it opens quite early. I am told the breakfast butties are very good!

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
http://www.stornowayhistoricalsociety.org.uk/iolaire-disaster.html

wow, @Puddleduck thanks for the heads up to that Helen, been to Lewis 6 times and didn't know

http://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/see-and-do/iolaire-monument-p529951

that's brought a tear to my eye and added another place to see and respect (y)

Last time we were there the parking spot was empty but a large motorhome might take a bit of to and fro to get it turned.

When we were on Harris time before last we visited a family grave and there were workmen with a skip. The skip had a big notice saying "not for use without prior authorisation" - now i know it's rocky there and graves are hard to dig but really that is a bit undignified!!!!!!! I do have a warped sense of humour :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
On a functional note, particularly useful when staying off site, most disposal facilities don't like or don't take the blue or even green toilet additives, you need to use nothing or bio washing stuff

All the ferry terminals have a disposal facility for black and grey waste, and most have water available, possibly a good idea to get a spare cassette for a long stay if not going on sites, that is why we use a combination of sites and not, we also have a black tank so can go longer without needing to empty. We also carry an additional cassette, just in case, or it has been used to decant from our black tank to an elsan point where there hasn't been a low level drop option

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It's going to be busy out there, we're going too at the end of May travelling over from Oban.

poolie18

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Mohawk
Exp
Getting longer
We are also heading up there from 1st May, looks like we might be bumping into some fellow funsters!! We are going via Skye (Uig - Tarbert) to see what we missed due to the rain which followed us across from Rosemarkie last year!! Weather permitting we'll be spending about a week on the islands either walking Ollie (our black lab) or fat biking on a beach.
So glad we joined this site, well worth the subscription fee for the wealth of knowledge available from the members. Cheers to DAB for starting another good thread.

Mick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back