Up plated to over 3.5tonne - toll implications? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Our new van's normal gross permissable weight is 3.5T but we decided to register it at 4.25T to give us more flexibility with the pay load, as we carry bikes and a scooter in the large garage. Our van is under 7 metres long and is probably marginally over 3.5T when fully loaded.

I know that it may cost us more in tolls.

My question ....when travelling through countries such as Austria , Portugal , Switzerland where they have E Toll systems how do the authorities know you are plated at over 3.5tonne? Some of the systems seem more complicated for over 3.5 T eg the Go Box in Austria. Less so for under 3.5 T ...Just wondering how much of a risk it is if we elected to go for the less complicated option (and cheaper) ie under 3.5T even though we have up plated to 4.25T.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
number of wheels and axles and height seem to be the key factors

I guess they are the things that can be visually checked

and watch out in France lot of 3T weight limits in towns and villages

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
In Austria if you get a Go-box you have to confirm your vehicle details within 14 days by post, including (I think) a copy of your V5, otherwise you get fined. DON'T get caught on a motorway without one! That's where they'd get you! Portugal takes your registration and charges your credit/debit card - you need to register on entry into the country with any vehicle and presumably checks the UK database. Switzerland I'm not sure of, haven't been for a little while. But be assured, they'll find out. One of lifes little certainties!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
A lot of the 3 ton signs are for lorries, I think it has to have a Motorhome sign to count .waiting to be shot down

Joe

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A lot of the 3 ton signs are for lorries, I think it has to have a Motorhome sign to count .waiting to be shot down

Joe

I share your logic, but my thought is if it applies to lorries only it has a lorry symbol, otherwise it is a ban for all over 3T

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This was covered somewhat in a thread as long ago as 2011 @yodeli

As I understand it the sign is to deter heavy vehicles taking a short cut through villages and not to deter tourists/motorhomes. The local police are discouraged from enforcing it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In Austria if you get a Go-box you have to confirm your vehicle details within 14 days by post, including (I think) a copy of your V5, otherwise you get fined. DON'T get caught on a motorway without one! That's where they'd get you! Portugal takes your registration and charges your credit/debit card - you need to register on entry into the country with any vehicle and presumably checks the UK database. Switzerland I'm not sure of, haven't been for a little while. But be assured, they'll find out. One of lifes little certainties!

Fof Austria you just go in the place at the border, cough up a silly amount of lolly, fill in the form and thats it.. Does not require anything at all ( other than the loot !

BE WARNED though
It is expensive but only clocks up if you go on motorways ( something like 45 cents a km ! )
We managed 8 days and spent a total of 6 €

FURTHER WARNING
Only some vignette places handle go boxes
We found this out when we stopped at the last office before we left Austria on the way home.
Sorry sir.. You must go back in to Austria about 40km to the office there..

We did not go back..
The Go Box is still in the van, still preloaded with about 75 € and will sit on the dash when we go back there..

Will worry about it then ( which might be a few years away yet LOL !! )

OP
OP
Roseandpeter
Nov 30, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B594PL
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks

I am wondering if we should down plate back to 3.5 tonne.....will weigh the van when fully loaded and make a decision. Seems like a lot more phaff if your van is over 3.5 tonne especially as we intend to visit Portugal and Poland and maybe Austria this year.

Belgium had signs up saying that they were going to start charging for over 3.5 tonne too....

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

Joe

No. First there's no special sign coming with motorhomes, it is for ALL vehicles.
Then second, the sign always says 3,5t , not 3t .
Third point.... I can't remember having said it was only meant for lorries. I might have explained that most signs are there to stop/prevent lorries going through villages... explain something doesn't mean you don't have to obey!
You can't be sure that the sign forbids over 3,5t just to avoid lorries....there might be a small bridge across the village which can't cope with too much weight on. Or some sort of special old entrance which isn't wide enough for your motorhome. We had that in Richelieu with JJ . We never saw the sign ..... :whistle: and then outch big surprise... !

So if I were you, I'd be careful . In any case if you don't obey and gendarmes are round the corner.... it will be quite a fine!!!!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
No. First there's no special sign coming with motorhomes, it is for ALL vehicles.
Then second, the sign always says 3,5t , not 3t .
Third point.... I can't remember having said it was only meant for lorries. I might have explained that most signs are there to stop/prevent lorries going through villages... explain something doesn't mean you don't have to obey!
You can't be sure that the sign forbids over 3,5t just to avoid lorries....there might be a small bridge across the village which can't cope with too much weight on. Or some sort of special old entrance which isn't wide enough for your motorhome. We had that in Richelieu with JJ . We never saw the sign ..... :whistle: and then outch big surprise... !

So if I were you, I'd be careful . In any case if you don't obey and gendarmes are round the corner.... it will be quite a fine!!!!

When in Rome, as they say. Thanks for this, it's good to know you need to avoid them. From memory, a lot on the roads running with the Loire have them and it was 3.5t.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back