Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Evening All
I would like to buy a tripod type satalite dish and a free sat box ie the full system to plug into my TV but only want to spend £150 for the lot.
I don't want to pay any subscriptions and want to receive bbc TV and radio in the UK and Europe ( Spain Portugal France Germany).

All advice greatly received.......

Thanks

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
image.jpeg
I have a complete system, bought brand new and never ever used except for setting up on the lawn, just couldn't be bothered setting it up all the time, so never took it with us, OK if you are staying in one place for a week or so but as we move on most days just too much hassle, open to any offer to get it out of the way

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
Or you could look at the boxed set in B&Q - you might not need the tripod as, I believe, there are various fittings including suction (there was when I bought mine 15 years back).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
colmorangie

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
Would both these systems work in Spain / Portugal etc as well as the UK? is the system in Uttoxeter complete with the free view box?
I keep reading about satellite trackers and different satellites can you just tune any system in to any satellite ?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Would both these systems work in Spain / Portugal etc as well as the UK? is the system in Uttoxeter complete with the free view box?
I keep reading about satellite trackers and different satellites can you just tune any system in to any satellite ?
Yes it's here, can't tell you what it does in other countries but it works on our lawn;):) it was bought for our old van, but never got round to useing it as I said, but the new van has a aireal on the roof that works fine in uk, and never bothered abroad.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
image.jpeg
Another photo

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it all depends on what you want to watch, but if its the bbc and itv channels, you need a very big dish in spain and portugal. otherwise the system chaser is selling will get you hundreds of chanels in multiple languages. you will just need to learn how to tune the dish in which is the hardest part for most people

we take a sky box and card from home with us and have a 60cm dish clamped to a stage speaker tripod, total cost about £60 as we already have the box. a second hand basic sky box can be picked up for a few quid and get a freesat card

Reactions: DBK

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I...want to receive bbc TV and radio in the UK and Europe ( Spain Portugal France Germany).
As already mentioned, you will not get BBC outside of a line roughly drawn half way across France. BBC radio is possible everywhere if you have broadband Internet and download their podcasts. These are generally only a small file and unlike iPlayer are accessible outside the UK without getting involved in VPNs.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
As already mentioned, you will not get BBC outside of a line roughly drawn half way across France. BBC radio is possible everywhere if you have broadband Internet and download their podcasts. These are generally only a small file and unlike iPlayer are accessible outside the UK without getting involved in VPNs.

I have a radio app on my iPad and I was listening to uk channels in Spain over Easter without any problems. They weren't podcasts.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
£70 cheap enough ?

Complete with 12 v sat decoder..

Camping sat dish

sometimes sold by Aldi / Lidl a little cheaper.

It will receive Astra 2 with all UK channels down to around the middle of France.. maybe a bit lower depending on weather..
as already said, you won't get UK TV in southern Spain without a very large dish..

I had one and it can be fiddle setting up.. steep learning curve, bit of a dark art.. so practice in the garden at home. Once mastered you can have it up and working in 5 mins or less

As Chis said.. you can find free radio stations on the internet and unlike web TV , it doesn't need or use a lot of bandwidth.

I use this one at home.. http://www.internetradiouk.com

Highwayman1

Free Member
May 9, 2013
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autohomes
Exp
Since 1980 on & off
£70 cheap enough ?

Complete with 12 v sat decoder..

Camping sat dish

sometimes sold by Aldi / Lidl a little cheaper.

It will receive Astra 2 with all UK channels down to around the middle of France.. maybe a bit lower depending on weather..
as already said, you won't get UK TV in southern Spain without a very large dish..

I had one and it can be fiddle setting up.. steep learning curve, bit of a dark art.. so practice in the garden at home. Once mastered you can have it up and working in 5 mins or less

As Chis said.. you can find free radio stations on the internet and unlike web TV , it doesn't need or use a lot of bandwidth.

I use this one at home.. http://www.internetradiouk.com

I used the Maplin one in Normandy and it did work for me and the boys (whenever they were getting fed). I bought a tripod via Amazon changed to Icecrypt box and tried it out at home before going. I used the compass app on the iPhone and marked up the elevation setting. It can be fiddly but worked and the suitcase fitted behind the seats during travel. Cheap enough if you want to watch freesat channels but I found that I got used to the laptop/tablet for entertainment and news. Plenty of time for the telly during winter in the UK after all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back