The cost of motorhome shows (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I read most days on the forum about members complaining about the price of camp sites...:(
The Peterborough show is on this weekend where I normally visit on a day visitor basis. I see that the entry fee has gone up again, now £8 for day visitors. Four of us going is £32 before we set foot inside the gate. We get nothing for this apart from the pleasure of buying over priced food and drink and visiting stalls that have paid a kings ransom to be there.
I also notice that the weekend cost is now £60:(

I was just wondering if there will be a cut off price where motorhomers will say sod that, too expensive. Then either reduce the number of shows visited or stop going altogether.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Any book covering basic economics has the answer. Supply and demand. For example if they double the price but attendance drops by only a quarter they are quids in. Doubly so as they need less parking.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just been advised that Zippy may well be attending, that explains why the price has gone up and the weather is shite..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Supply and demand like anything else. Advance booking provides a significant saving.

Plus it makes sure that the riff raff don't come to camp (quiet @ShiftZZ @DuxDeluxe &c before you start :LOL:).
Yes, quite right........put the price up so that Burstner owners don't come :moon2:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Supply and demand like anything else. Advance booking provides a significant saving.

Plus it makes sure that the riff raff don't come to camp (quiet @ShiftZZ @DuxDeluxe &c before you start :LOL:).
Strange as it sounds GJH the cost of motorhome shows is about the only expenditure that penny pinching folk from north of The Wash don't complain about. This is what was puzzling to me and prompted this thread.:)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Strange as it sounds GJH the cost of motorhome shows is about the only expenditure that penny pinching folk from north of The Wash don't complain about. This is what was puzzling to me and prompted this thread.:)
:reel: again :doh:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not fishing at all GJH just an observation, I have never read a single post with regard to show pricing yet we have more than a fare selection of posts with regard to penny pinching.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not fishing at all GJH just an observation, I have never read a single post with regard to show pricing yet we have more than a fare selection of posts with regard to penny pinching.
Let me see....

Stratford show (OK the show is rubbish) A week of camping, free entry to the races, free entry to the MH show. £76!! - a tenner a night

Lincoln show - 5 days camping, free entry to the MH show, thursday friday and sunday evening entertainment free of charge £43!! Eight quid a night

No wonder people don't complain about it......

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I read most days on the forum about members complaining about the price of camp sites...:(
The Peterborough show is on this weekend where I normally visit on a day visitor basis. I see that the entry fee has gone up again, now £8 for day visitors. Four of us going is £32 before we set foot inside the gate. We get nothing for this apart from the pleasure of buying over priced food and drink and visiting stalls that have paid a kings ransom to be there.
I also notice that the weekend cost is now £60:(

I was just wondering if there will be a cut off price where motorhomers will say sod that, too expensive. Then either reduce the number of shows visited or stop going altogether.

It is the same with anything in the UK. I stopped going years ago.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Let me see....

Stratford show (OK the show is rubbish) A week of camping, free entry to the races, free entry to the MH show. £76!! - a tenner a night

Lincoln show - 5 days camping, free entry to the MH show, thursday friday and sunday evening entertainment free of charge £43!! Eight quid a night

No wonder people don't complain about it......
Sounds good to me DD.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Peterborough. Forty eight pounds for four nights camping, entry to the show and three nights entertainment plus the opportunity to catch up with funster friends. I don't consider that expensive. Camping, rather than being a day visitor, enables me to have a good look around, compare prices, and have a good think about it, before buying all those things which I really, really want, but don' t actually need!

Lorraine x

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But from "penny pinching folk from north of The Wash"? Lets see all these "penny pinching" posts and where they are made from please.

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Peterborough. Forty eight pounds for four nights camping, entry to the show and three nights entertainment plus the opportunity to catch up with funster friends. I don't consider that expensive. Camping, rather than being a day visitor, enables me to have a good look around, compare prices, and have a good think about it, before buying all those things which I really, really want, but don' t actually need!

Lorraine x
Absolutely.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Day visitor only for me as no MH atm looking forward to going to shows and camping in the future.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
But from "penny pinching folk from north of The Wash"? Lets see all these "penny pinching" posts and where they are made from please.
Yorkshire folk are proud of there heritage of being frugal with their brass, when I get a bit of time later I will find a few examples of their frugality for you.:)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I'm not sure why I have to pay to go into what is basically a shop; do I pay to go into M&S? I'm not talking about the camping side here, that's a different matter.
Our first motorhome show was at no camping Harrogate. I'm with you in that it cost us money to get in and carried on costing all day, overpriced "show price" good, overpriced food and drink. We won't be going again anytime soon.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Yorkshire folk are proud of there heritage of being frugal with their brass, when I get a bit of time later I will find a few examples of their frugality for you.:)
How about the one of the guy with a Flair and likes a bit of fun that insisted on driving all the way to Spain avoiding tolls to save his brass even when it was inconvenient.
That should start you off(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I can't use the search facility, but didn't you start a thread about making satellite dishes from abandoned metal dustbin lids a few years back?

Apologies if I am mistaken, it must have been another Northerner:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back