Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi all

Currently we have a 1996 Swift Kontiki 640 purchased privately in May 08 for £16250. Done 13000 miles since then in it including a recent 3 month trip of Europe. We may full time (or part time) next year. Still only got 46000 on the clock.

We were lucky as we have been very happy with this model and there is nothing about it we don’t like apart from its Age and the fact that if we do full/part time it will probably need replacing in the not too distant future.

Question is with what and when. Should we get a couple more years out of it first as the depreciation wont be too bad or should we change now before we embark on our next big adventure?

The definite requirements would be as follows

Big U shaped rear lounge like the Kontiki and large windows at the back
Enough payload to take 100cc scooter with a bit to spare (on the limit at the moment at the back)
Forward dinette
C Class / Luton with good size over cab (storage mainly)
Reliable and powerful engine (currently on Peugeot 2.5tdi Boxer which is ok but struggles sometimes on long uphill drags)
Full cooker and Fridge Freezer

From my basic research I think the Kontiki 645 with the 4000KG base and 3ltr 160hp engine is the obvious choice but I am open to suggestions. I certainly dont want anything smaller and would consider bigger such as TAG Axle type van but not an RV.

Budget £30K-£45K Would rather get an older van that is more of a quality and reliable build than a newer one that looks nice but will fall to bits.

Even if we wait a year or two its probably worth starting the research now as it took me ages to decide on the 640 Kontiki and then even longer to find the right one!

Cheers
Barry

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
What a coincidence!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

2007 Swift Kontiki 645 Fiat Ducato X250 160 Multijet Power 2999cc Turbo Diesel ManualLength: 25' 2" (7.67m)Layout: End LoungeHeight: 9' 12" (3.04m)Berths: Five BerthMileage: 13400Specification: The 2007 Kon-Tiki 645 has a Truma Hot water and Blown air heating system, a Thetford Cassette toilet, on board Shower, On board water and waste tanks, Oven with Electronic ignition, three way Fridge, 240v Mains electric input socket, all round Blinds & flyscreens, Panoramic rooflight, External Fiamma Canopy, Fiamma Bike Rack, roof mounted solar panel, Sleep Easy alarm system, Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm, Reversing camera, Blaupunkt Sat Nav, Cab Air conditioning, Alloy Wheels and a 7 in 1 digital flat screen tv.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
What a coincidence!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Peter

2007 Swift Kontiki 645 Fiat Ducato X250 160 Multijet Power 2999cc Turbo Diesel ManualLength: 25' 2" (7.67m)Layout: End LoungeHeight: 9' 12" (3.04m)Berths: Five BerthMileage: 13400Specification: The 2007 Kon-Tiki 645 has a Truma Hot water and Blown air heating system, a Thetford Cassette toilet, on board Shower, On board water and waste tanks, Oven with Electronic ignition, three way Fridge, 240v Mains electric input socket, all round Blinds & flyscreens, Panoramic rooflight, External Fiamma Canopy, Fiamma Bike Rack, roof mounted solar panel, Sleep Easy alarm system, Cat 1 Thatcham approved alarm, Reversing camera, Blaupunkt Sat Nav, Cab Air conditioning, Alloy Wheels and a 7 in 1 digital flat screen tv.

Thanks Peter

Link doesnt work though and I cant find it on your site. Whats the available payload on that model please?

Regards
Barry

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just inside your budget ...

and a bonus, it's an Iveco Chassis

£44995.00

2006 BURSTNER
A 852-2
SEVEN BERTH
3.0 DIESEL IVECO
TWIN WHEELED.

Link Removed

Cheers for that but it hasnt got an end lounge and very few windows by the look of it. Looks nice though.

Please can you tell me what the advantage of the Iveco Chassis is?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Cheers for that but it hasnt got an end lounge and very few windows by the look of it. Looks nice though.

Please can you tell me what the advantage of the Iveco Chassis is?

Hi

I have to confess a rear U lounge is very desirable, but a fixed bed when full time is a huge bonus .. and you have tons of SAFE storage in the garage.. even for a small scooter, so it's a compromise .. and a personal preference .. fewer windows = less heat in the summer, less cold spots and condensation in winter .. and fewer entry points to secure against theft.

Iveco .. twin rear wheel drive, much better than single front wheel drive on wet/muddy ground, a solid chassis, proven 3lt engine

It may be less refined than the latest Fiat .. but IMO more reliable.. and no juddegate.

Certainly worth a look and a test drive..

hth

Jim

Last edited:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks Peter
Link doesnt work though and I cant find it on your site. Whats the available payload on that model please?
Regards
Barry

Hi Barry,

Go to website, link on signature below, then 'Sales and Motorhomes' icon and then Motor Home Stock list and they are all listed there with pics.

As far as techie questions you will need to chat to Lawrence or Andy, they are all into that!

Peter

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We were lucky as we have been very happy with this model and there is nothing about it we don’t like apart from its Age

Remember this: "If it works, don't fix it."

The important thing is not the MH but what you do with it.

Save the cash, spend a bit more on enjoyment, if you can.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i give you another choice .6.5ton iveco chassis cab, look for a plain white box, insulate with no cold bridges ,windows where you want build it to suit you .with the budjet you have given you could have a really perfect camper built to exactly as you want. remember not too big ,loads carrying capacity .thats what i would do if i was you. probably not even spend all of it. and be ready to roll. cheers alan.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Why change?

Have to agree with Brian on this. If you're happy with the Kontiki why change it? Sounds like you like what you have and it should be good for many years to come. :thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
This is all useful stuff chaps and thanks very much for the replies. Looking around our existing Kontiki seems to be going for the same and in some cases more money than we paid for it back in May 08. So perhaps we should hang on to it, put another 20K on the clock and then sell it. We looked at a few new and nearly new vans in our local MH dealership the other day and frankly the build quality was rubbish. Thanks for the info on the Iveco, I reckon rear wheel drive. twin or tag axle has to be an advantage, especially for the all important payload. Any van we get has to be able to take the scooter which is all important for me as I am now a blue badge holder and cant walk or cycle very far. The bike has made it possible for us to see so many places where the van just cant get too and the Kontiki JUST manages it within its payload limit. Having said all that if the right van comes along and Mrs D sees it all white and shiny we will probably buy it! Keep the ideas coming though as it would be good to see as many as possible so that when we do buy either now or in a year or two (more likely) then we will by then know exactly what we are looking for.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Barry,

Go to website, link on signature below, then 'Sales and Motorhomes' icon and then Motor Home Stock list and they are all listed there with pics.

As far as techie questions you will need to chat to Lawrence or Andy, they are all into that!

Peter

Hi Peter

I found it this time thanks. It pretty much looks like the replacment for our 640. Not sure how the front dinette works though as the table must stick out quite a bit as they seem to have added seating by the window and why on earth have they made the back window so small? One of the (many) things we love about the 640 is the huge back window. The carpet would have to go as well but otherwise looks very nice.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
why not consider a newlry new autotrail arapahp, very simular to your konti but has long U shaped lounge and a tag axel

AUTO-TRAIL

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
why not consider a newlry new autotrail arapahp, very simular to your konti but has long U shaped lounge and a tag axel

AUTO-TRAIL

Looks ideal, very similar layout to the Kontiki. How do Auto Trail compare with Swift in terms of build quality/reliability?

Thanks for the post

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi,
As Brian says, if it aint broke dont fix it.
You like your current van and it fits all criteria. So what if its a bit older than the gleaming new van you want. You will do the same in the new one as you do in your current one, eat, sleep, Pxxx and watch a bit of telly. The only difference will be you spend another 25-30k for the privilige.

Save your money and use what you have or if intent on upgrading why not go for a 2005 model? clear of any engine faults, newer than what you have and won't cost the earth.

If I were buying now I would be looking at Burstner, euromobile, knaus, Adria (of course) or an ageless hymer like Patrick on here just sold. I personaly would not have a swift, but mainly because we like fully winterised vans for skiing and if your intending on going anywhere very cold, a swift might be a problem.

good luck and keep us updated.:thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Looks ideal, very similar layout to the Kontiki. How do Auto Trail compare with Swift in terms of build quality/reliability?

Thanks for the post

I cant compare as Ive never had a swift (other than a very leaky caravan ) and we have only had our autotrail scout since april (scout is same more or less as your kontiki) but were pleased so far with the quality of built and the help from the factory. We bought private and needed a few jobs doing, they soon sorted it for me.

perhaps somebody else has had experance of both

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
just had a quick look on flebay, theres two apaphao's on at the moment a newish 3lt and an old 06 plate 2.8 (which would get my vote)

Link Removed

and

Link Removed

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi,
As Brian says, if it aint broke dont fix it.
You like your current van and it fits all criteria. So what if its a bit older than the gleaming new van you want. You will do the same in the new one as you do in your current one, eat, sleep, Pxxx and watch a bit of telly. The only difference will be you spend another 25-30k for the privilige.

Save your money and use what you have or if intent on upgrading why not go for a 2005 model? clear of any engine faults, newer than what you have and won't cost the earth.

If I were buying now I would be looking at Burstner, euromobile, knaus, Adria (of course) or an ageless hymer like Patrick on here just sold. I personaly would not have a swift, but mainly because we like fully winterised vans for skiing and if your intending on going anywhere very cold, a swift might be a problem.

good luck and keep us updated.:thumb:

This is all good info so thanks very much chaps. Are you saying that vans after 2005 dont have engine issues? Also do I take it the 2.8 engine is better than the 3ltr? I thought our Kontiki was winterised but I maybe wrong. We have stayed out in the winter in sub zero temperatures and been warm as toast. Isnt Burstner made by Swift? When you say Adria (of course) are they really good or do you have one of these? Sorry to ask loads of stupid and probably dumb questions but its only when you start looking around again that you actually realise you know very little about which vans are good and which are not. I am starting to think however that we should perhaps hang on a year or two and just keep the Kontiki which does fit our needs. Still going to keep looking and researching though as at least when we do change we will know exactly what we want. Like the look of the big Autotrail so far. Would have to do the sums but assume it will take a scooter and rack on the back.

Thanks again all:Smile:

Yep just read you have an Adria Coral 670

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
By Barry
This is all good info so thanks very much chaps. Are you saying that vans after 2005 dont have engine issues?
The engine afer 05/06 is the notorious juddergate engine. Im sue they will be fixed but at present there seems to be too much inconsistantcy about whos at fault, driver or manufacturer. The 05/06 is at its final development, we have the 2.8 and its a great bit of kit

Also do I take it the 2.8 engine is better than the 3ltr?

No it just goes backward without issue. The 3-0 new engine is a fantastic weapon lovely cab etc but as said too many negatives just at the moment, wait a couple of years and they will be sorted.

I thought our Kontiki was winterised but I maybe wrong. We have stayed out in the winter in sub zero temperatures and been warm as toast. Isnt Burstner made by Swift?
There's a differnece between winterised and winterised. A winterised van will normally have heatted waste tanks duel floor, insulated walls and roof, an interior water tank and no pipes running outside. When you say Adria (of course) are they really good or do you have one of these?
Yes we do. We love it and swear by it, I would never knock another maker as my friends have swifts and lover them. There customer support looks great, but in my mind they fall someway behind our continental cousins in build quality.

Sorry to ask loads of stupid and probably dumb questions but its only when you start looking around again that you actually realise you know very little about which vans are good and which are not.
no problem at all thats what forums are for.

I am starting to think however that we should perhaps hang on a year or two and just keep the Kontiki which does fit our needs. Still going to keep looking and researching though as at least when we do change we will know exactly what we want. Like the look of the big Autotrail so far. Would have to do the sums but assume it will take a scooter and rack on the back.

makes wise sense, even juddergate might be over by then. On the subject of autotrail, I know there meant to be great vans although this is my only experience. My freind bought one from a well known dealer in cannock, they then closed that dealership and he had terrible problems with the van. He took it back to there depot in Newark no fewer that 8 times for repairs in the first year. (we are 130miles from Newark) eventualy the bathroom door would not open, as the floor had become delaminated in less than a year. He then contacted autotrail whom with out fail took the van back from him and spent 6-8 weeks repairing all the faults that the dealer should of done. They offered excellent service but with the ammount of problems he had they should of been sorted at the start. All vans have potential problems but hey ho thats just the chance you take.

Last edited:
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
By Barry
This is all good info so thanks very much chaps. Are you saying that vans after 2005 dont have engine issues?
The engine afer 05/06 is the notorious juddergate engine. Im sue they will be fixed but at present there seems to be too much inconsistantcy about whos at fault, driver or manufacturer. The 05/06 is at its final development, we have the 2.8 and its a great bit of kit

Also do I take it the 2.8 engine is better than the 3ltr?

No it just goes backward without issue. The 3-0 new engine is a fantastic weapon lovely cab etc but as said too many negatives just at the moment, wait a couple of years and they will be sorted.

I thought our Kontiki was winterised but I maybe wrong. We have stayed out in the winter in sub zero temperatures and been warm as toast. Isnt Burstner made by Swift?
There's a differnece between winterised and winterised. A winterised van will normally have heatted waste tanks duel floor, insulated walls and roof, an interior water tank and no pipes running outside. When you say Adria (of course) are they really good or do you have one of these?
Yes we do. We love it and swear by it, I would never knock another maker as my friends have swifts and lover them. There customer support looks great, but in my mind they fall someway behind our continental cousins in build quality.

Sorry to ask loads of stupid and probably dumb questions but its only when you start looking around again that you actually realise you know very little about which vans are good and which are not.
no problem at all thats what forums are for.

I am starting to think however that we should perhaps hang on a year or two and just keep the Kontiki which does fit our needs. Still going to keep looking and researching though as at least when we do change we will know exactly what we want. Like the look of the big Autotrail so far. Would have to do the sums but assume it will take a scooter and rack on the back.

makes wise sense, even juddergate might be over by then. On the subject of autotrail, I know there meant to be great vans although this is my only experience. My freind bought one from a well known dealer in cannock, they then closed that dealership and he had terrible problems with the van. He took it back to there depot in Newark no fewer that 8 times for repairs in the first year. (we are 130miles from Newark) eventualy the bathroom door would not open, as the floor had become delaminated in less than a year. He then contacted autotrail whom with out fail took the van back from him and spent 6-8 weeks repairing all the faults that the dealer should of done. They offered excellent service but with the ammount of problems he had they should of been sorted at the start. All vans have potential problems but hey ho thats just the chance you take.

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions. It seems scary that you can go out and spend a fortune on a MH and have all these issues. Do Adria or any other none UK manufacturers do a similar layout to the Kontiki then?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back