Free Member
Apr 8, 2016
Pencoed S Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562 2013
Exp
30 years
Hi everyone the sun is shinning in S Wales but rain is on its way. Have had 2 Kontiki's both with double floors no problem with cold spots in habitation door footwell. Have now got a Besssacarr e562, with Alde heating, footwell really cold, seems the footwell step is only single skin. Has anybody had the same problem? any remedies? let me know. Thanks all. Jonesee.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
There is possibly a large ventilation grille in the footwell as it is the lowest point in the habitation. My E560 has one.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
There is possibly a large ventilation grille in the footwell as it is the lowest point in the habitation. My E560 has one.
I this not there as a safety measure so that any escaped LPG gas will 'leak' out of the habitation area?

KH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
That has always been my assumption, it is also the source of noise when driving in the rain as water in the gutter splashes up onto the footwell. I have covered it once, basically stuffed the dog's towel down there, it was a sub-zero night and blowing a full gale in the highlands.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
many vans just have a moulded plastic footwell with no insulation. some 25mm kingspan can be cut to size and bonded on the back and underneath using sikaflex

OP
OP
Jonesee

Jonesee

Free Member
Apr 8, 2016
Pencoed S Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562 2013
Exp
30 years
Many thanks all for your replies. There is no vent in the footwell only a small foot light. Will try and bond some kingspan to it to as TheBig1 suggests and will keep you posted. ......Jonesee

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
All these kind of things make you wonder if the makers actually try out one of their own vans in the cold to find these bits and pieces that detract from the quality of the build. My old Chausson was abysmal draughts, and cold spots all over it . The French may not use their vans in Winter.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i know the designers at bailey used to test their caravan designs in real life tests, not just in the factory. but other than a few low volume pvc converters, i dont know of any other designers that have even slept in one of their motorhome creations

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Hi everyone the sun is shinning in S Wales but rain is on its way. Have had 2 Kontiki's both with double floors no problem with cold spots in habitation door footwell. Have now got a Besssacarr e562, with Alde heating, footwell really cold, seems the footwell step is only single skin. Has anybody had the same problem? any remedies? let me know. Thanks all. Jonesee.
I can understand why it has a cold footwell but I'm not sure why it is a problem. Have you been banished to the naughty step?

Try sleeping on the bed. :)

OP
OP
Jonesee

Jonesee

Free Member
Apr 8, 2016
Pencoed S Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562 2013
Exp
30 years
Nice one. Swift advertise the motorhome as having attained grade 3 with respect to heating and no cold spots. Must have had a duvet on the footwell. Thanks.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
The footwell on our Renault isn't the problem, it's the door cards. We've actually woken up to find frozen condensation on them as we tend not to run the heating overnight. I keep threatening to pry them off and fit some insulation, but you know...........:whistle:

OP
OP
Jonesee

Jonesee

Free Member
Apr 8, 2016
Pencoed S Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562 2013
Exp
30 years
Hi Jockaneezer, no definitely the footwell itself, no condensation on the habitation door.....Jonesee

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Is the draught in the footwell not from the original (Fiat) designed ventilation vent under \ behind the cab passenger floor. This is there to aid ventilation on Ducato cab \ chassis models and convertors don't block this up despite it not being needed when you stick a coachbuilt body on the back!
You can buy a clip on vent cover from a Fiat Professional dealer (don't have the part number with me) for around a tenner or search on here for a post from (I think) @Techno who has done a diy version.
Maybe got this wrong as you say hab door but maybe worth a look see?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Has anybody had the same problem? any remedies? let me know. Thanks all. Jonesee.
You need a pair of Acme (patented) foot warming slippers. (y)(y)(y)

acme.jpg

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
The hab footwell in our Swift Sundance was a major problem with cold air blowing a hooli.

We started off stuffing a cushion down there and it helped. We've now taped up the vent and also made a full length curtain which we pull across at night. These measures have pretty much cured it and made the hab area much cosier.

OP
OP
Jonesee

Jonesee

Free Member
Apr 8, 2016
Pencoed S Wales
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E562 2013
Exp
30 years
Many thanks all for your replies and suggestions. Habitation door is the door into the motorhome not the cab doors, that area is always cooler due door seals and vents....Jonesee

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
As mentioned by TheBig1 moulded plastic footwells with no insulation are the culprit for cold draughts, in the auto trail we have the draught in cold winds from this area around the footwell is freezing, we have cut a board to go over the top, with the welcome mat covering that the cold area is pretty much sealed.
Still a bloody nuisance and makes a total farce of the supposedly fully insulated claim by the builders, also if you have a look at the EHU socket in the habitation wall, the uninsulated wall around the socket is another cold spot.
The cab areas are no warmer than a tent, how people get on were they use the cab area as part go the seating plan is a mystery to us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back