Reverse Polarity Lead?? (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi All

Im planning my first trip to France and im just going over a few things in my head.

Ive heard a reverse polarity lead being mentioned.

Is this essential and what does it do?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spoil sport . havent heard any shocking news .what gas bottles do you use jim.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
is this the never ending story:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Not by a long chalk.. :roflmto:

Try Licensing ... :thumb:

or Limahl :Cool:

Rhymes that keep their secrets will unfold behind the clouds
And there upon the rainbow is the answer
To a never ending story.

Yea Jim just call my name::bigsmile:::bigsmile: to continue

Last edited by a moderator:

territo

Free Member
May 16, 2009
In motorhome or in peru
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Reverse Polarity

In a lot of French campsites you need a 2 pin adaptor. A lot of people carry a polarity meter or plug which tells whether the polarity is reversed. If it is reverse polarity turn the 2 pin adaptor upside down and that works.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi I carry two two pin leads, one of which I have reversed the wires inside and marked on the outside to show which one, you will also need a polarity checker to test which one you will need to use, hope this helps, Pete:thumb: Ps I have also had a three pin with a reversed polarity.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i,ve got a continental hook up plug never been out of its packet in 10yrs never used hook up .hardly ever use a site and dont fancy hook up in morocco. lots solar thats the answer forget reverse polarity its a thing of the past.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hook up spoils arriving at a new spot as it slows down the process of opening the fridge and getting out a cold Stella.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
In a lot of French campsites you need a 2 pin adaptor. A lot of people carry a polarity meter or plug which tells whether the polarity is reversed. If it is reverse polarity turn the 2 pin adaptor upside down and that works.

Yes what you are saying is correct,... IF you use a 2 pin Plug and turn it around you will have reversed the incoming electricity.......you can only do that IF you have NO earth...... :Eeek: ....meaning the two pin plug that we have in France has NO earth pin...:Doh::cry:.if using the two pin plug the one with the earth pin to reverse/turn upside down it is not possible!!!!!!....
And it is not advised to use the two pin plug with NO earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Doh::Doh::Doh::Eeek::Eeek:

Use only the three pin plug, live, neutral, and earth, :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Mel in France

The best way is to carry a three pin plug tester (ebay 3to £4) and a second set of short leads (or one like sinbad had made in previous thread) test the power before pluging in and change to the crossed set of leads if needed.
ebay number 350237886072 plug tester
ebay number 250464562839 16 amp socket
ebay number 180382706450 16 amp plug
ebay number 370241169806 16 amp trailing socket
for the plug tester to fit in,
Then a short piece of cable rated at 16 amp job done to make the short set of cables 12" to 24"...or 30cm to 60cm..... very little outlay

very little outlay and it is best to be safe than sorry

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Yes what you are saying is correct,... IF you use a 2 pin Plug and turn it around you will have reversed the incoming electricity.......you can only do that IF you have NO earth...... :Eeek: ....meaning the two pin plug that we have in France has NO earth pin...:Doh::cry:.if using the two pin plug the one with the earth pin to reverse/turn upside down it is not possible!!!!!!....
And it is not advised to use the two pin plug with NO earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:Doh::Doh::Doh::Eeek::Eeek:

Mel in France

The best way is to carry a three pin plug tester (ebay 3to £4) and a second set of short leads (or one like sinbad had made in previous thread) test the power before pluging in and change to the crossed set of leads if needed.
Then a short piece of cable rated at 16 amp job done to make the short set of cables 12" to 24"...or 30cm to 60cm..... very little outlay

ebay number 250476046908 this is a plug that could be used on any French and Belgium sockets rated at 16 amp
or
ebay number 290330925705 you could use one of these adaptors to convert you english three pin plug to a french three pin plug (use for testing only)... there are many cheaper ones you can buy BUT make sure the earth pin on the french side of the adaptor makes contact with the english side of the socket,( there are many adaptors just have a hole in the bakerlite/white material and no earth, the hole is used only for location)

Deleted User

Mel in France

French so called two pin plugs have two earth connecting strips on opposite sides to connect with spring loaded connectors in socket and can be used upside down to reverse polarity whilst maintaining earth connection.These plugs also have a socket to connect to an earth pin which is the arrangement on some sites in Spain and cannot be used upside down, also the arrangement of the socket in a box can make it difficult to connect upside down. I carry a test plug and a normal european adaptor, a reversed polarity adaptor plus a reversed polarity standard 3 pin camping adaptor, all these items can be obtained at camping stores in the UK and suitably modified.I have found that no earth is also a common problem on many european sites and now carry an earth spike, my outfit has a 240/115v transformer and I have been told that a good earth is essential with this arrangement.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
French so called two pin plugs have two earth connecting strips on opposite sides to connect with spring loaded connectors in socket and can be used upside down to reverse polarity whilst maintaining earth connection.These plugs also have a socket to connect to an earth pin which is the arrangement on some sites in Spain and cannot be used upside down, also the arrangement of the socket in a box can make it difficult to connect upside down. I carry a test plug and a normal european adaptor, a reversed polarity adaptor plus a reversed polarity standard 3 pin camping adaptor, all these items can be obtained at camping stores in the UK and suitably modified.I have found that no earth is also a common problem on many european sites and now carry an earth spike, my outfit has a 240/115v transformer and I have been told that a good earth is essential with this arrangement.

I have read your thread three times ????? and I am not sure what you are trying to say!!!
Are you saying that all European adaptors have spring clips so they make earth contact, if that is what you are saying ...... you are wrong?
see the attachment .......the one on the right has no earth hole and will not fit on a French two pin and earth socket.....and can not be used ...I know I have about a dozen of these adaptors of different brands purchased at different places.
I understand this part of your quote
"I have found that no earth is also a common problem on many European sites and now carry an earth spike, my outfit has a 240/115v transformer and I have been told that a good earth is essential with this arrangement"

And agree……. but the rest ???????

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have read your thread three times ????? and I am not sure what you are trying to say!!!
Are you saying that all European adaptors have spring clips so they make earth contact, if that is what you are saying ...... you are wrong?
see the attachment .......the one on the right has no earth hole and will not fit on a French two pin and earth socket.....and can not be used ...I know I have about a dozen of these adaptors of different brands purchased at different places.
I understand this part of your quote
"I have found that no earth is also a common problem on many European sites and now carry an earth spike, my outfit has a 240/115v transformer and I have been told that a good earth is essential with this arrangement"

And agree……. but the rest ???????

these are the so called french plugs you talk about !:Doh::Doh:
see attached..... you can not reverse them, :Doh::Doh: or turn them upside down... :Doh: .they will only fit one way in in a french socket with the earth pin ....:Eeek:...would you like to see a french socket ...:thumb:..let me know and I will attach one for you......

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
these are the so called french plugs you talk about !:Doh::Doh:
see attached..... you can not reverse them, :Doh::Doh: or turn them upside down... :Doh: .they will only fit one way in in a french socket with the earth pin ....:Eeek:...would you like to see a french socket ...:thumb:..let me know and I will attach one for you......

Just thought I had best attach a photo in case you had forgotten what a French socket with earth pin looks like.......the only Difference with the caravan sockets is they have two grooves one right and one on the left hand side and the plugs have corresponding lugs...household plugs are just round
attached below

Deleted User
Just thought I had best attach a photo in case you had forgotten what a French socket with earth pin looks like.......the only Difference with the caravan sockets is they have two grooves one right and one on the left hand side and the plugs have corresponding lugs...household plugs are just round
attached below

Unfortunately I cannot download pics but I am using french plugs and extension sockets in my 5er at moment to connect french bought appliances and they do have earth connections as described. I will look at my continental adaptors later and check.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
attached below

If you had read my first thread you would have read... NOT ALL.. warning the person to be be careful......."BUT make sure the earth pin on the French side of the adaptor makes contact with the English side of the socket," ........as quoted in my original post...
And what I meant with the adaptors, "use for testing only" they are made for interior use.

original thread,
"ebay number 290330925705 you could use one of these adaptors to convert you English three pin plug to a French three pin plug (use for testing only)... there are many cheaper ones you can buy ( there are many adaptors just have a hole in the Bakelite/white material and no earth, the hole is used only for location) "

I did not categorize All plugs like you did...there may be a small amount like yours around, that you may be able to be turn upside down and still fit into the socket and still keep a earth connection..... ...
I am not saying there isn't such an item and that you haven't got one I do not know as I have not seen one myself so I can not comment like yourself.
So do not categorize All French plugs and adaptors are reversible when they are clearly not

This is another one of those French plugs that are widely used in France...these would be used on electrical items that are insulated(double)
NOW as you can see THESE CAN BE REVERSED as they do not have an earth just two holes in the insulation of the plug
see attached

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Unfortunately I cannot download pics but I am using french plugs and extension sockets in my 5er at moment to connect french bought appliances and they do have earth connections as described. I will look at my continental adaptors later and check.

Just one point you have said above "but I am using French plugs and extension sockets in my 5er at moment to connect French bought appliances and they do have earth connections as described" you are connecting French appliances to your 5er, so you are connecting French to a English socket adaptor to connect into your English socket in the 5er......the person of this thread is talking the other way round English to French socket adaptor...is there any difference with the two adaptors and earths !!!!!!! I do not know.

all he wanted to know was about reversed polarity......all was giving him was numbers on eBay to save him money (I think the item numbers on eBay are a lot cheaper, and would be a lot more expensive at the caravan shops or at least the ones I have looked at) then it would be simple piece of wire crossed........cross brown to blue (live to neutral) on one of the plugs or one of the sockets......and a tester to check

Deleted User
Just one point you have said above "but I am using French plugs and extension sockets in my 5er at moment to connect French bought appliances and they do have earth connections as described" you are connecting French appliances to your 5er, so you are connecting French to a English socket adaptor to connect into your English socket in the 5er......the person of this thread is talking the other way round English to French socket adaptor...is there any difference with the two adaptors and earths !!!!!!! I do not know.

all he wanted to know was about reversed polarity......all was giving him was numbers on eBay to save him money (I think the item numbers on eBay are a lot cheaper, and would be a lot more expensive at the caravan shops or at least the ones I have looked at) then it would be simple piece of wire crossed........cross brown to blue (live to neutral) on one of the plugs or one of the sockets......and a tester to check

The picture you show has two metal strips down the side which connect with earth whichever way it is plugged in. I think some confusion is occuring with the 'travel' type adaptors which invariably do not have earth connections. The adaptor I am using is a French bought extension lead with three sockets and the plug replaced by an english one in order to plug in french appliances, with an earth, to the english sockets inside the van. The original poster wanted to know about reverse polarity on hookup leads, most French sites have domestic connections and require an adaptor from the 3 round pin camping socket on the campervan/caravan to fit the power socket, these adaptors are widely available in the UK .I am sorry if my posts have confused anyone and I would advise anyone to carry the different adaptors mentioned in an earlier post.Hope this helps.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
The picture you show has two metal strips down the side which connect with earth whichever way it is plugged in. I think some confusion is occuring with the 'travel' type adaptors which invariably do not have earth connections. The adaptor I am using is a French bought extension lead with three sockets and the plug replaced by an english one in order to plug in french appliances, with an earth, to the english sockets inside the van. The original poster wanted to know about reverse polarity on hookup leads, most French sites have domestic connections and require an adaptor from the 3 round pin camping socket on the campervan/caravan to fit the power socket, these adaptors are widely available in the UK .I am sorry if my posts have confused anyone and I would advise anyone to carry the different adaptors mentioned in an earlier post.Hope this helps.

I think this is what you have (attached below) you find these extension cables ( they come with 1 socket, 2,3,4,5,6, sockets and more, they come in one long straight line or square like below or even triangle shaped)they are in every brico shops in fact you find them everywhere......and I think you have removed the French plug and fitted a English 13 amp 3pin plug....."YES" ..am I correct.

Yes on the one of the photos you will see the two metal strips as you will see in this photo below.....

This is what you said on your last remark.

"The picture you show has two metal strips down the side which connect with earth whichever way it is plugged in".

NO incorrect

YOU CAN NOT TURN THE PLUG UP SIDE DOWN and re-plug it into the socket it will NOT GO..... because of the metal earth round pin stops it...it will only fit one way

The point I am making, which is to the comment you made on your first remark
" French so called two pin plugs have two earth connecting strips on opposite sides to connect with spring loaded connectors in socket and can be used upside down to reverse polarity whilst maintaining earth connection",
NO incorrect
You can NOT turn the plug around or upside down and re-plug in even though it may or may not have the metal strips fitted........because the round earth pin on the socket must have a hole in the plug for it to fit in....and as there is only one hole on the plug it will not reverse position!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
I don't know what connector/plug you have but it is not the norm in France it must be a odd ball.
have you actually tried to turn it up side down and re-fit it or are you just guessing ? have you got it to hand now to try !!
I have loads of different types plugs and sockets (as I live in France) here ....I have even tried your theory on all these I have:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I must have been daft for even trying.....but hey you never know everything so that is why I was willing to try

Last edited:

Deleted User
I think this is what you have (attached below) you find these extension cables ( they come with 1 socket, 2,3,4,5,6, sockets and more, they come in one long straight line or square like below or even triangle shaped)they are in every brico shops in fact you find them everywhere......and I think you have removed the French plug and fitted a English 13 amp 3pin plug....."YES" ..am I correct.

Yes on the one of the photos you will see the two metal strips as you will see in this photo below.....

This is what you said on your last remark.

"The picture you show has two metal strips down the side which connect with earth whichever way it is plugged in".

NO incorrect

YOU CAN NOT TURN THE PLUG UP SIDE DOWN and re-plug it into the socket it will NOT GO..... because of the metal earth round pin stops it...it will only fit one way

The point I am making, which is to the comment you made on your first remark
" French so called two pin plugs have two earth connecting strips on opposite sides to connect with spring loaded connectors in socket and can be used upside down to reverse polarity whilst maintaining earth connection",
NO incorrect
You can NOT turn the plug around or upside down and re-plug in even though it may or may not have the metal strips fitted........because the round earth pin on the socket must have a hole in the plug for it to fit in....and as there is only one hole on the plug it will not reverse position!!!!!!!!!!!??????????
I don't know what connector/plug you have but it is not the norm in France it must be a odd ball.
have you actually tried to turn it up side down and re-fit it or are you just guessing ? have you got it to hand now to try !!
I have loads of different types plugs and sockets (as I live in France) here ....I have even tried your theory on all these I have:Doh::Doh::Doh::Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I must have been daft for even trying.....but hey you never know everything so that is why I was willing to try

Don't know what you are using but my french bonded plug will connect both ways into my french extension, bought in France, to connect to an electric fire. I as you live part of the year in France, the adaptors I have been using in France and Spain for the last twenty years must be at fault then.Don't know how to post the little laughing men, obviously not as clever as you. Please don't try and take the piss out of people trying to help!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Don't know what you are using but my french bonded plug will connect both ways into my french extension, bought in France, to connect to an electric fire. I as you live part of the year in France, the adaptors I have been using in France and Spain for the last twenty years must be at fault then.Link Removed

I do not live part of the year, I am permanent resident in France and have done for many years...... I have a workshop full of plugs and sockets of all shapes and sizes new and old and none reverse around like you say, that is what I did a builder...I said yours may be a odd ball, possible....you if you read back I never said you did not have one just that I have never seen one....send a picture of it fitted in the correct position and a picture with it reversed around the other way, up side down!!!!! I would like to see it...could you do that....as you are a traveler in your 5er in Spain and France over the last 20 years, you must use a lot of plugs and sockets of a lot of makes ......and as far as taking the p--- it is not my nature just trying to lighten the issue

Deleted User
OK sorry for getting the wrong impression, as you say I have a lot of appliances and extensions but the plug on the adaptor sold in UK camping shops will work in France and Spain, the rest of Europe I am not sure.Again I would advise anyone to use a polarity and earth tester and carry the appropriate reversed polarity leads which is, I think, where this thread started.How do you post the smileys??

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Maybe the following files would help:
1. European Plugs & Sockets Link Removed
2. Polarity Testing & Changeover leads Link Removed

Patrick

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
OK sorry for getting the wrong impression, as you say I have a lot of appliances and extensions but the plug on the adaptor sold in UK camping shops will work in France and Spain, the rest of Europe I am not sure.Again I would advise anyone to use a polarity and earth tester and carry the appropriate reversed polarity leads which is, I think, where this thread started.How do you post the smileys??

to put the smileys on, when you quote post....look on the right and you will see about 16 smileys just click your cursur where you want a smiley ....then click the smiley you want on the right ...thats it ....it may not look like a smiley it may look like load symbols and brackets :;¬}[][...but when you submit it will be fine.......thats it good luck....the next person after you has put a remark on showing a link with different plugs and I can see one that could be used the other way round like you said (but not sure about the earth pin).
You will see in the second link, it not a safe practice to be able to change the polarity around...it would get to a point you would not know which is the correct polarity unless you tested every time...............sorry if I have offended you not intended...Mel

Deleted User
to put the smileys on, when you quote post....look on the right and you will see about 16 smileys just click your cursur where you want a smiley ....then click the smiley you want on the right ...thats it ....it may not look like a smiley it may look like load symbols and brackets :;¬}[][...but when you submit it will be fine.......thats it good luck....the next person after you has put a remark on showing a link with different plugs and I can see one that could be used the other way round like you said (but not sure about the earth pin).
You will see in the second link, it not a safe practice to be able to change the polarity around...it would get to a point you would not know which is the correct polarity unless you tested every time...............sorry if I have offended you not intended...Mel

These plugs also have a socket to connect to an earth pin which is the arrangement on some sites in Spain and cannot be used upside down.

Above is from an earlier post, I must be confusing France with Spain, hands held high and grovelling apologies offered.The type of socket I have mainly encountered is the German schuko type(F in the above link) and plugs are a combination of this and the French and will work in both but not upside down in the French socket. I have always carried a reversed polarity lead and so have very rarely resorted to turning the plug upside down, the standard adaptor leads I have seen will physically not fit upside down into the French type socket with an earth pin(see confusion above). Thanks for info regarding smileys, I was doing it the wrong way round, all I need to do now is find out why I cannot download attached pics.Regards Alec :Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back