NEED NEW DASH CAM & MOTORHOME SAT NAV -- FAST AS LEAVE IN 2 WEEKS! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Our dash cam has just decided to pack up so we need to get a new one - fast as we leave for a 3 month trip in 2 weeks !! any reviews from those that have one? looking at perhaps forwards & rear camera recording & obviously would have to be UK sourced as no time to send from China :)
Also we have TomTom app but know there are a few motorhome/caravan apps/sat navs out there was just wondering if anyone has actually found a good one?

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I am trialling the aguri 7" caravan and motorhome version sat nav at moment ,comes with built in dashcam and supplied with data card.. Its android so can easily put on most apps..it seems to do do what its said to do on box .,but like all of them not infallible if you have to leave the recommended route set by it will be within the parameters you set ..only been using it for a month but very pleased so far ,bought it direct from Aguiworld for £200 ..Roy

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Download Maps.me great free app and up to date maps, currently travelling round Morocco with it. Even if you only have it as a back up its worth having

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
For the dashcam we use a NextBase 302G that we picked up from Halfrauds, works very well, but the overhead cab blocks the GPS quite a lot.
For sat nav, we use a TomTom with the camper maps installed. As long as you keep it updated it picks very good routes for large vehicles.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am trialling the aguri 7" caravan and motorhome version sat nav at moment
A bit off topic but I'm surprised that Aguri won't have a stand at Peterborough (I can't see them in the exhibitors list anyway). I should have thought that, as they have no outlet other than on-line sales, it would have been the ideal place for them to promote it.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@jaygee The quote you did went a bit weird, so I can't use your quote in the reply :D

It is a stand alone unit, a Go Live. The map should be available to download regardless of whether you use the iPhone app or the dedicated unit. My understanding was that the map downloads were universal.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
@jaygee The quote you did went a bit weird, so I can't use your quote in the reply :D

It is a stand alone unit, a Go Live. The map should be available to download regardless of whether you use the iPhone app or the dedicated unit. My understanding was that the map downloads were universal.

There is no option to download the camper map for tomtom on an iphone/ipad the same applies to Android with tomtom camper map. They only allow you to do this in the PND devices (standalone units) and even then not all are compatible so wont allow you to pick the camper map. For instance i have the Tomtom 1000 Live but this is not compatible with the camper map.

It is a shame you cant download the camper map on the above devices as it would make things a lot easier as opposed to carrying round another device. I do use the 1005Live tomtom device which is the camper edition but have recently brought a truck version (tomtom). not set this up yet as no rush as the camper one does work but just wanted a bigger screen. If price is an issue then there are cheap ones about (chinese) that have been discussed on this forum, not sure on teh dashcam part though as i use a dedicated dashcam which is small and discreet and wired to come on when the van starts. It is also small enough to miss the front blinds on our MH.

Hope you find one

OP
OP
jaygee
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Looks like we will be relying on good old fashioned maps then! Hubby fed up with TomTom sending us down narrow roads as shortcuts and ready to throw it out the window.
Strange thin is I have tomtom on my iphone but we use the tomtom ipad app (all to do with hubby's eyesight and the ipad being bigger so easier to see!! ) and I can programme the same routes into both and they will go different ways! (and yes I have them both set up as fastest routes)
Going to go down to Spain & back not using motorways so should be interesting :)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
These are the two I bought last year from snooper, and I am quite happy with them, the only problem I had was rectified as soon as I informed them, the rubber sucker for the dashcam kept falling from the windscreen, can see on screen, but also very good when played on my laptop very clear, I only have one for the front. The previous dashcam wasn't in my opinion very good, far to fiddly, we just did not get on with each other, I think it was a mini 808

The sat nav features a car or motorhome tick box, so depending on what I'm driving I can change the setting, it also has a database of over 24000 sites in 31 countries says the blurb, will get to try it out later this year when we go to France, and it's based on CC, Alan Rogers, and C&CC, and those are included free.

Certainly not the cheapest, but definitely not the most expensive.
Sat nav was £270, and dash-cam £150, but I'm pleased with them.

Not an advert for them just to let you know what we have chosen

The items I purchased from their website, but as you need something quick sticks I don't remember how long after ordering they arrived, as nowadays many items come with a cd rom, I printed all the pages for ease of use, 88 pages for the sat nav and 33 for the dash

image.jpeg

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Looks like we will be relying on good old fashioned maps then! Hubby fed up with TomTom sending us down narrow roads as shortcuts and ready to throw it out the window.
Strange thin is I have tomtom on my iphone but we use the tomtom ipad app (all to do with hubby's eyesight and the ipad being bigger so easier to see!! ) and I can programme the same routes into both and they will go different ways! (and yes I have them both set up as fastest routes)
Going to go down to Spain & back not using motorways so should be interesting :)

The ipone app which i use daily for my car is very good but only for the car, i dont use this for the MH though as it is not suitable and will send you down all sorts of narrow roads. However the tomtom camper map will most of the time be ok but will all these things common sense does prevail. The camper map does have the ability for you to put the dimensions of you MH in to ensure it doesnt send you down narrow roads. No navigation system is perfect, if in doubt always carry a map just in case. :)

A dedicated unit for either camper or truck will do what you require and they can be from a variety of sources i.e.

Garmin Camper / Truck
Tomtom Camper / Truck
Snooper Camper / Truck
Chinese Truck versions
Co Pilot Truck
etc etc

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Is there still a problem with updating the Chinese truck versions ?

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
My local aldi still has a garmin camper in stock i think some on here bought one

Joe

Dyad

Free Member
Apr 13, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Transit Herald Templar
Exp
Aldi are doing a Garmin for camper vans, way cheaper than Halfords prices.
As for a dash cam, I've got a Blackvue in the car which I bought from an independent retailer that sells car radios and speakers and things like that, it was quicker than ordering on line and waiting for delivery

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back