Hi From Newbie & Question (1 Viewer)

R

rxs1407

Deleted User
Hi, New to the site and wanted to say hello and i need some help please???
Divorced and ben living in a twin axle caravan for over a year, so i decided to buy a new 5th wheel..

I bought a wildcat 30 loft and it comes in a couple of weeks time.. Its brand new and i'm doing the 240v conversion on it, but i've been told it needs a handbrake to meet UK regs..

I dont plan to tow with it, but to live in it sited, but i guess it will go on the roads at some stage..

So has anyone done this to their van? or know a place that does?

Would like to do it myself if i can..
Thanks and time to have a look around the site...
Dodge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi dodge and welcomre to the asylum.

hand brake......you need modified brake backplates to attach the cables.

i beleive it must be a purely mechanical handbrake....lever and cables not electric.

where brakes are concerned, id leave it to the grownups:winky:::bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
hi dodge and welcomre to the asylum.

hand brake......you need modified brake backplates to attach the cables.

where brakes are concerned, id leave it to the grownups:winky:::bigsmile:

But do u know if anyone comes out to fit them? As i dont have the truck to tow with...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi

I think there's a guy from CSL that will come out, also I think Star Spangled Spanner will come out.

Google either, somebody who knows for sure will be on soon.

Cheers

Jim
:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

I think there's a guy from CSL that will come out, also I think Star Spangled Spanner will come out.

Google either, somebody who knows for sure will be on soon.

Cheers

Jim
:Smile:

but do they undertake that sort of work. major undertaking and i wouldnt do it on a site.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
hi and welcome
see you made it here
someone soon will give you the ins and outs

maggie

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hello n welcome .sorry i cant help either but there are some on here that have had h,brakes fitted. you should get a truck join the happy travellers. cheers alan.

OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
Maggie i did and thanks for heads up...
Just need this handbrake sorting and i'll be all ready... delivery is 10th Sept...
Then empty caravan and move all my stuff over and sell the van...

Cant wait....
Dodge

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
brakes

Hello and welcome,
I am not 100 % sure on regs regards the hand brake, but I know of a lot of american trailers and 5ers that do not have them fitted. As your's will be stationary for a while I would not have the hand brake on even if it was fited as the brakes will seize on. I have never left hand brake on with any caravans or trailers i have owned if left for prolonged period. How ever, I have found in a magazine a little contraption that fits between the tyres and is wound tight, locking both wheels together. I am on the hunt for said magazine as I would now like to buy some for my american trailer. As soon as I have found the where abouts I will let you know.

Cheyne

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hand Brake 5th Wheeler

Hi

We have a Wildcat 31 THSB on order from the States via Link Removed
They are doing our 220v converting and Hand Brake. Paul may be able to help or point you in right direction. You dont say where you are but he is based in Mildenhall, Suffolk.

Good Luck

Ant & Debs

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I dont plan to tow with it, but to live in it sited, but i guess it will go on the roads at some stage..

Dodge
Hi and welcome to the site, I'm sure someone will be along to shoot me down in flames but I thought the camp site regulations in the UK restricted site occupation to 28 days. so you should leave and come back once a month to stay legal. Besides unless moved at least once a month the wheels will seize up and brakes become in operative. Time to sell that car and buy a truck, a big one, hee hee.

OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
Cheers for info, will call them..
I'm based in Andover Hants...

How long before your one comes? My mate is out at the factory now and ordering his one out there...

Thanks again.
dodge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi and welcome to the site, I'm sure someone will be along to shoot me down in flames but I thought the camp site regulations in the UK restricted site occupation to 28 days. so you should leave and come back once a month to stay legal. Besides unless moved at least once a month the wheels will seize up and brakes become in operative. Time to sell that car and buy a truck, a big one, hee hee.

two very valid points there Roger..:thumb:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Wildcat

Hi Its due in the UK around Oct they gaves us a 8 week build time. Cant Wait!:ROFLMAO:

Did you self import yours?

OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
No bought mine from UK, with nothing done to it, doing the 240 conversion myself, well my brother in law is...

Its just the handbrake i need sorting..
If i didnt have my son staying with me every other weekend i would have gone for your layout, but the loft is brill for him...

Dodge

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
wildcat

Hi Dodge

We looked at a Twin Slide Wildcat and also the Loft. We wanted to also transport 2 x Quadbikes and whilst looking at the forestriver site came across the 31THSB. Which has the Garage for the Quads but also has a Pull Down Double Bunk system so when we have guests we can sleep them.

We are very impressed with the layout and standard of finish on the Wildcat also in the process of sourcing a Gaslow system for it.

Good Luck with yours.

Ant&Deb

OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
Agree on quality of the wilcats, i looked at nearly every manufactorer..
The loft was the one for me for my son, he loved it and i had to buy it...

As i said i dont plan to tow mine, so it will be my home,, the bikes are in a garage near by..

OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
Like it thanks.....

Deleted User
OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
So i can use this as a handbrake and it meets the regs???
Cool i like it...
Thanks..

optic

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Funster No
ditto

Hi, Dodge, I have just done exactly the same as you, my Wildcat 5th wheel 30 loft, is being deleivered on 24th September, :thumb: I too will be living in it as a permanent base on some land near Winchester, just managed to sell my house and fancied a different kind of living, let me know how you get on, you could use my emial in case i dont find this thread again. marie.mcallen@ntlworld.com.

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Dodge

The handbrake is a must in order to help in being road legal. We have fitted one to our 5er. (An imported Jayco). We purchased the replacement Dexter hub from Burtons RV's in Coventry. A very helpful guy there called Noel got the parts in 2 weeks. Jayco in America actually put us on to him after we'd spent 6 months waiting for Cross country uk to provide the promised parts.

The cables and handbrake lever we sourced locally from Cable Tec. Very helpful there also and made them up to our spec.

Al

OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
Al
Cheers for the info, i'm surprised no one does a kit for the wildcat as there seems to be a few over here... Maybe a slot in the market for someone!!

So wot else needs doing? amber lights for hazards?

Thanks for help
Dodge

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Agree on quality of the wilcats, i looked at nearly every manufactorer..
The loft was the one for me for my son, he loved it and i had to buy it...

As i said i dont plan to tow mine, so it will be my home,, the bikes are in a garage near by..
Do you have planning permission for a permanent site then, no matter how tucked away you think it is the satellite and helicopter will seek you out. So don't get caught out my friend. Keep those wheels a turning. or they will seize up for sure. (unless you remove and store the brake shoes, hee hee)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rxs1407

Deleted User
Do you have planning permission for a permanent site then, no matter how tucked away you think it is the satellite and helicopter will seek you out. So don't get caught out my friend. Keep those wheels a turning. or they will seize up for sure. (unless you remove and store the brake shoes, hee hee)

Its ok i'm not on a caravan site, its a on a private plot..

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
:ROFLMAO: i used this once on a trike build,law stated that i had to have at least one wheel locked[think it dependes on weight for needing one wheel locked:cry:,well it passed wanna know :ROFLMAO: i used a metal rod between the 2 wheels.it locked them when it hit the chassis:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:,well seems the rule goes its a parking brake ,which is why i always find it amusing is its not classed as a emergency brake,just a parking brake,yet if you have an auto which locks the wheels up,you still must have a working hand brake for an mot:whistle:

goodluck with getting the conversions done,hope you get it sorted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back