Rapido A class or similar (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Been looking at 07-10 plate rapido's and wife loves them however only 4 berths. Since we have 2 teenagers who really don't want to share. Was wondering if rapido or other manufacturers do a 5 berth ie convert front lounge as well as pull down front bed and rear bed.
I like the longer tag axle motor homes as loads of space. But wife not to sure.
Was thinking get a safari room and kick one of boys out into that. However that would rule out a lot of wild camping and overseas aires?
Anyone got any suggestions?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
With 4 sizeable people on board, together with baggage, I'd look at payload first of all. French manufacturers are prone to be a bit creative in this respect. Assuming that you have grandfather rights on your license a larger van is the one to go for to avoid crowding and excess disagreement. Some A class vans have fixed bed at the back, double over the cab and a single made up in the lounge, which might suit. Safari room is ok if you can be bothered to fix it up every time, rain or shine.

We got a rumpy pumpy air awning for a bit of extra space and these are certainly worth a look
.best of luck with your search

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Assuming that you have grandfather rights on your license a larger van is the one to go for to avoid crowding and excess disagreement. Some A class vans have fixed bed at the back, double over the cab and a single made up in the lounge, which might suit.
Yup GF rights any ideas which A Class fit the bill have a budget upto circ 40k maybe tad more

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yup GF rights any ideas which A Class fit the bill have a budget upto circ 40k maybe tad more
That sort of budget for a 10 plate van should easily get you what you need. I have a Pilote (excellent van) so not so familiar with Rapido models but I am sure that someone should be along soon to help

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Yes Pilote are nice we originally went to smc to view these but saw rapido's which we feel looked slightly better. But 4 berth might just have to have a major compromise with boys after all only a few years left holidaying with them
Still researching so plenty of time just wondered if peeps who'd been or are in similar position have a point of view?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes Pilote are nice we originally went to smc to view these but saw rapido's which we feel looked slightly better. But 4 berth might just have to have a major compromise with boys after all only a few years left holidaying with them
Still researching so plenty of time just wondered if peeps who'd been or are in similar position have a point of view?
Dethleffs make some very nice vans with enough room if you want to consider other brands. Or Burstner

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
there is a rapido advertised on here that, I believe, has 2 singles and a pull down double. It's the 9048DF

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Dethleffs make some very nice vans with enough room if you want to consider other brands. Or Burstner
Cheers yes I do just struggling finding model numbers as not all for sale atm. In no rush tbh atm thinking end summer / autumn unless see one earlier thats a no brainer. It's fun researching and planning atm
We originally looked at bunks on a smaller budget but found we were short sighted as would def selling within a few years so have got to a more reasonable budget and looking for one to last us a while.
Be nice if there was a back catalogue of motorhomes lol

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Cheers yes I do just struggling finding model numbers as not all for sale atm. In no rush tbh atm thinking end summer / autumn unless see one earlier thats a no brainer. It's fun researching and planning atm
That is a good plan. Good idea to get along to one of the shows (e.g Peterborough ) as there are a lot of decent used vans for sale. The layout plans sometimes result in a disappointing real life view

Deleted User
there is a rapido advertised on here that, I believe, has 2 singles and a pull down double. It's the 9048DF

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the 9048DF only has a pull down double. Our 966m has 2singles and a pull down double. I don't think you will get a 5 berth in a Rapido unless you go for 1001 model with tag axle which may have an extra bed.

Spongy

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
In my view an 'A' class would not be on my horizon with a family in tow. As soon as the pull-down bed is utilised bang goes your lounge / kitchen; fine if everyone goes to bed at the same time and gets up at the same time....but in reality does that happen often, especially with teenagers?

Good luck in your search, there's plenty of options out there.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
When my kids where young they always preferred their independence in a tent...also meant they did not wake us up coming in at all times of the night. We used to stop at Aires and they would sleep together in a double bed in van.....not sure what the hardship is with that as they need to get over each other and make the effort to get on surely:)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
In my view an 'A' class would not be on my horizon with a family in tow. As soon as the pull-down bed is utilised bang goes your lounge / kitchen; fine if everyone goes to bed at the same time and gets up at the same time....but in reality does that happen often, especially with teenagers?

.....though it has worked for us, but the Pilote has a massive lounge and plenty of room.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the 9048DF only has a pull down double. Our 966m has 2singles and a pull down double. I don't think you will get a 5 berth in a Rapido unless you go for 1001 model with tag axle which may have an extra bed.

Spongy

Our9048DF has a pull down double and a single which can be converted to another double or can be a single and a small single (small child size) so for a couple with two kids it could work fine. It also seats eight, yes eight when just used as a lounge.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Which pilote do u have?
Reference G690. Got 4 belted seats but we only intended it was the two of us. The huge lounge with no fixed table is ideal for entertaining and also for the dog crate when driving. You could sleep 4 at a push but one of the singles is a bit short, so really for smaller kids. Apart from the huge lounge, the U.K. Spec kitchen and full width bathroom really sold it for us. Got a rumpy pumpy awning as well.

We have also seated and fed 8 in comfort

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
an a class with twin single in the rear (for the boys who dont want to share a double) and a drop down up front for the couple that do.....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If the boys shared a double but each slept with their heads at opposite ends and use sleeping bags, they wouldn't feel so 'close' ... might be worth considering?

Another option would be for one to sleep on an inflatable single bed/mattress on the floor ... our friend did that when he travelled to Germany with us in our converted ambulance which only had one double bed - he had to slot himself 'under' our transverse bed with just his head sticking out! :D

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our girls sleep head to toe in the second double using duvet bags i made. :)

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Been talking to the boys about sleeping bags think this will be the way to go. Got hammocks if find some trees when out and about . Think they will been making the compromise not us lol

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Been talking to the boys about sleeping bags think this will be the way to go. Got hammocks if find some trees when out and about . Think they will been making the compromise not us lol
Easy to make up and put away (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
In the Rapido range you're going to be looking at the 9000dfh, the 10000 or the 10001

I belive @old-mo has a 10001 for sale.

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
In the Rapido range you're going to be looking at the 9000dfh, the 10000 or the 10001

I belive @old-mo has a 10001 for sale.
Yup very nice but at circ 90k new, 4 year old ( as launched 2012) will be out of budget

Last edited:

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have the older 985f. My 2 boys normally only come away New Year now with me but are quite happy to share the drop down which is actually huge. One is 6' 1" and 14 stone, the other 5' 9' and 13 stone. It's crowded but still works.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
I have a 2008 catalog, it has a number of possibilities I think, so can you give more detail of your requirements, length,etc, and I'll have a look.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Here's one.

It's a little over budget with the current exchange rate but they are out there.

Broken Link Removed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Hi I have a Itineo (made by Rapido) and it comes with a fixed rear double and the pull down overcab bed -Once that is down you only loose the two front seats but still have room for a comfy 5 or tight 6 to sit around the table plus full use of kitchen and bathroom so where you get no room from beats me ;):)
terry

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Here's one.

It's a little over budget with the current exchange rate but they are out there.

Broken Link Removed
Nice and with a 4250kg payload, after looking yesterday the smaller Rapidos worry me due to low payloads and I think most can only be increased to 3600 or 3700 depending on chassis. Most research need. Thinking 3500kg for family of 4 is just too low as payload would be 300-400kg??? . Even thou it means wife cannot drive without taking her C1.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back