Is it normal to have to empty your van when it goes for a hab check? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
i got a reminder yesterday to book my Chausson in for its habitation check in September (!) from Highbridge Caravans, who are about 70 miles away from me. I am aware that the Chausson warranty requires the hab check to be carried out by one of their dealers and there are none significantly closer to home, and I quite like Highbridge so no problem I thought, we are going to France in September from Plymouth and will be driving right past them on the way. Pop in, do the service, off to catch the late ferry, job done. No! Highbridge say that I have to empty the van of all my personal belongings, and as we would be off on our hols there would be a lot of them. Question is, is this a normal requirement? I haven't owned a van long enough for it to need a hab check before so in my naivety I just thought I could perhaps clear a few cupboards on the day, not have to empty the whole vehicle. Can I ask them to reconsider their requirement?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm not sure but I guess that they have two issues to deal with: 1) access to each cupboard etc. to check for damp etc & 2) security; how would each party react if something of value disappeared while in their care? Could you prove that the item was there in the first place / could they prove that it wasn't?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I always empty my van for a hab check so the engineer has full access to all areas. I don't want him to miss a bit and use the excuse he couldn't gain access.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm not sure but I guess that they have two issues to deal with: 1) access to each cupboard etc. to check for damp etc & 2) security; how would each party react if something of value disappeared while in their care? Could you prove that the item was there in the first place / could they prove that it wasn't?
I always empty my van for a hab check so the engineer has full access to all areas. I don't want him to miss a bit and use the excuse he couldn't gain access.
Same here.
Full timers don't.
I can recall a couple of full timers emptying their van at a Stratford rally a few years ago so that the hab check could be done. Good job the weather was fine :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Same here.

I can recall a couple of full timers emptying their van at a Stratford rally a few years ago so that the hab check could be done. Good job the weather was fine :)
Really? What a nightmare!

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Think it is worth emptying the motorhome to have all the internal walls checked (including those that form part of the cupboards) to maintain the warranty when valid & for peace of mind outside of that. We use it as a chance to sort the contents & decide what to keep or replace plus do thorough clean of interior (as easiest when empty) once it has had its hab & engine service so all ready to go again :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can see the logic of an empty to check for damp but it makes sense for you to have the check done on the way to the ferry.
Could you ask Highbridge if they have anywhere you can empty the van and store everything?
Or is there a Funster in the area with maybe a garage you could empty everything into ?
Otherwise it looks like 2 journies south in September :(

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
With all our vans we've always taken out enough that the person checking does not have to move anything to get at gas, heater, controls, pumps, plumbing and electrical wiring etc etc. We've never emptied it however and there has never been any question, with the 3 different firms used, of us doing so.

That said; we knew the firms and personnel and they knew us and we had dealt with them over some time. I can see that a firm who do not know you might be more leery about the possibility of you claiming for something missing afterwards etc. It must also be a lot easier to do a hab check if you don't have things to move.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
habitation check is this something done by the customs people at dover? if so then get them all out little blighters get everywhere.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have just dropped ours off at Highbridge. It takes about 1 hour and a bit to get there for us so leave it there. We emptied ours. But they are very helpful you could ask them which cupboards they need access to and to let you know. Then stack stuff from those in the shower or wardrobe. We have a 510 as well so if you ask them now they have one to look at and let you know. Ours will be with them for 2 weeks as there is some warranty work as well.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Just had ours done by a mobile man and he wanted access to every space.
He needed to check all safety features and all gas taps and pipes and also check all cronies for damp.
£120 Including Vat. 2and a half hours, very thorough.
Mitch.
PS. Thanks Brian (Icantremember)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I'm not surprised Highbridge are sending out reminders for September now, I remember trying to book our caravan in for a service there previously and they were always booked up well in advance, as for hab check we didn't empty ours as the company collected the van from our storage site and returned it for us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back