My very first drive in my new (used) MH - I hope it gets better! (1 Viewer)

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Picked up my motorhome yesterday morning - oh so exciting!!! Drove the entire 12 miles home where I could park it up and study her in great detail without the dealers eyes burning into the back of my head...

Just as I started reversing into my specially prepared parking spot, the clutch started slipping...a lot...then a few seconds later the clutch went completely :cry:

At this point, I am blocking one and a half lanes of a fairly narrow and quite busy road. Drivers on both sides very evidently getting very angry with me and not bothering to hide it either. I suspect they thought I was an idiot trying to do a 3point turn in a narrow road and got stuck...

I guess I should be embarassed, but was too concerned about my lovely new mh to bother about anyone else. My wife tried to help the traffic past while I desparately tried to pull her out of first gear and start her up to pull to the side, which I eventually did.

As upset as I (and the kids) ate at having to resort back to my tent for going away this weekend, I am glad it happenned now, hence covered under the dealers' warranty, well I hope that's what he'll say when I speak to him today.

Is not excessive for the clutch to go after 34k miles?? The recovery guy reckons not because of the weight these things carry around...

Eitherway, I am not phased...I look forward to having her back and going away soon.

Somehow, I already feel better having told you all about my very first experience and got it out of my system...

Better start pulling out the tent from the back of my shed...maybe I should not stick it on ebay afterall!

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Firstly Sam welcom to Fun.

Not that your first ride sounded like much of that. What a terrible introduction.

Have to admire your spirit though, you obviously intend to enjoy it once you get the chance.

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Well look on the positive side, you will in a few days have a brand new clutch as an extra to the original deal :thumb:
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Welcome Sam, better now than later, but 34k miles is a little premature. Also the clutch will have been designed for a commercial vehicle, so l don't agree with the breakdown man at all. They should last a lot longer. The thing to get rid of a clutch quickly is "riding" especially on inclines, and "slipping" on slow manoevers with excessive revs. Happy Camping in the future!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Sam
What a sad start to your adventures. Don't agree with the recovery man I have never had any such problems, in all my motorhoming.

Still if you are going to have trouble better now and at home as you can easily do something about it, without too much inconvenience. Happy camping.

Hope life gets better.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is not excessive for the clutch to go after 34k miles?? The recovery guy reckons not because of the weight these things carry around...

Clutches are a problem in MHs. Keep your fingers crossed they are usually NOT covered by warranty even if brand new because it's so easy to fry one.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
welcome to the site and you will eventually enjoy the motorhome, consider it a bonus, new clutch, hee hee.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Sam,

it all depends on how the previous owner treated the clutch...

did they use it as a footrest or did they rev the nuts off it and slip the clutch for the first hundred yards!:Eeek:

hope you get it sorted soon:thumb:

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Congrat's Sam, and welcome to life's best kept secret. (motorhoming).
Let's hope your new clutch and M/H, will serve you well.
Whatever you do don't get the tent out as the police might have you. Aparently its a serious offence Lurking within tent.:ROFLMAO: My friend had a garage and a customer bought a secondhand car. Two weeks later it was back for a new clutch. Then another two weeks back again for another. the forman said he couldn't understand why, but he'd make sure he did it right this time. Alas in another two weeks back he was again, and after a heated argument the foreman walked out. This time my mate took the car to a main dealer and got them to fit the another new cluch. Thus they would stand the warranty should this one fail again. The guy returned some time later to thank him for being so lienient with him, as they usually don't fit three. It appears that he is partially deaf, and cannot hear the rev's, and he often leaves his foot on the cluch. And could he buy another car next year. I can't print his answer. :thumb: Many happy miles.
Rgd's G.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back