Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi everyone. I am a very new camper, about to embark on my first trip. Being a complete techno-phobe, I have no idea how I can benefit from Satelite TV, without a Satelite dish.
I have been reading the forum, but, most of the advice is like double Dutch to me!
A plea from an uninformed singleton,......simple advice in English PLEASE ,,!!!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Hi everyone. I am a very new camper, about to embark on my first trip. Being a complete techno-phobe, I have no idea how I can benefit from Satelite TV, without a Satelite dish.
I have been reading the forum, but, most of the advice is like double Dutch to me!
A plea from an uninformed singleton,......simple advice in English PLEASE ,,!!!

A short simple answer:

You can't.

Explanation:

To receive satellite TV signals you need a satellite dish. To receive non-satellite TV signals you need a TV aerial.

If you have neither you won't be watching TV.

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Brenda,

Unless, of course, you have internet then the possibilities are endless!

Lots of 'positive' posts on here explaining how and what to use, apparently IPTV, together with a router will give you everything. I'm looking at that option instead of taking our 1.2 m satellite dish to Spain again!

Ginny

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Brenda Glanfield

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thank you for replying. I have an on-board aerial, AND an iPaD (not sure if that rates as the same). I understood that to receive WiFi, I only had to be within range of a provider.
I bought a portable dish from Aldi, but I needed to have a flat surface to stick it to. Unless I fancied climbing onto the roof of my very small van, it was not an option.
I gather that once I have tuned the set in, I can use it in the UK?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Brenda Glanfield

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Where would I buy one of these IPTV thingies? Does it come with the option of a router ? (Believe it or not, I know what a router is !!!)

Upvote 0
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Where would I buy one of these IPTV thingies? Does it come with the option of a router ? (Believe it or not, I know what a router is !!!)
If you look on Amazon for firestick tv then that's what you need. I got one about a month ago and as long as you have reasonable internet they are good. Also if you download an app called filmon then this too will do the job for free.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you tune a tv to an ordinary aerial you MUST retune the tv EVERY time you move elsewhere and the aerial MUST be pointed at the local transmitter mast.
Once a sat receiver is tuned to a satellite it is tuned no matter were you are (UK and northern France) but the dish MUST be accurately aligned to the same satellite each time you move elsewhere.

Wifi.....not only do you need to find a half decent wifi signal, the connection needs to be password free or you need to get the password from the router owner.

Nothing is easy.

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If you have data on your phone - this is where it gets techie - you can link your iPad to your phone and watch uk tv using the Filmon app. You can also use a mifi! We have a Iboost motorhome wifi booster which means we can boost the signal and use more than one laptop or iPad at the same time.

I'm not very techie either, but John @Don Quixote is really good and can advise you. If you come on one of the rallies I'm sure you will find someone who will sort you out.

Ginny

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

If you look on eBay, and Amazon You will find lots, but check what you need to run it and how much the contract will cost. Malc @archie2000 recently bought the full set up in Benidorm and says it is great. It costs between 20 and 30 euros a month but that gives him full internet and television.

Ginny

Upvote 0

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
On the average campsite free wifi IPTV will not work as to get a good picture you need at least 2Mb download and as so many are using the campsite wifi your picture will freeze. Many campsites are blocking IPTV, flimon etc for this reason as others cannot use the campsite wifi if some many as taking away the bandwidth. If you want to use an IPTV box then use your own internet connection via a mifi.
I have to date fixed about 7 campsites, so that no IPTV, filmon, movie downloads etc can be used. In 5 or 6 years maybe campsite will have 300Mbs or more so everyone can use it for TV etc and there are some that do already have this, but it's not free and understandably so. If your in UK buy a cheap sat dish and freesat box and use that.

Upvote 0

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
On the average campsite free wifi IPTV will not work as to get a good picture you need at least 2Mb download and as so many are using the campsite wifi your picture will freeze. Many campsites are blocking IPTV, flimon etc for this reason as others cannot use the campsite wifi if some many as taking away the bandwidth. If you want to use an IPTV box then use your own internet connection via a mifi.
I have to date fixed about 7 campsites, so that no IPTV, filmon, movie downloads etc can be used. In 5 or 6 years maybe campsite will have 300Mbs or more so everyone can use it for TV etc and there are some that do already have this, but it's not free and understandably so. If your in UK buy a cheap sat dish and freesat box and use that.

Morning John, how are you in sunny Norfolk?

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
if you have a satalite reciever or one built into your tv why not get one of these

its a portable satalite dish, semi outomatic remote control setup, can e placed anywhere, i.e. on roof or ground, being peortable you can move to line of sight of the satalite avoiding trees etc.

there good for UK and northern france, more or less down just past loir area, probibly not much use past the line.

about £700 new, I bought mine For £250 s/h off of ebay, no need to fix permiantly to roof, but not as good as some fixed domes which have a bigger dish.

EDIT: I have no knowlage of the particular one in the link I choose at random as an example

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Brenda Glanfield

Free Member
Jan 31, 2016
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am so very grateful for all the replies. I am aiming to travel to France, Germany, Italy and Spain at the end of the month, so possibly no chance of attending a rally. This, however, would be the best bet so that I can see connections etc.
Thank you everyone.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Watching TV also uses a lot of data, so if using your phone and/or a mifi, you really need unlimited data package. The '3' sims talked a lot about on here are great value but not for watching TV, they are designed just not to do that (on purpose).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back