Security options for the hymer (1 Viewer)

Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
I've just bought a 2 yr old hymer exsis. I would like opinions on what additional security I need to think about for our annual month in France. Our old self build sprinter never suffered any break ins or damage but now we have something more flash, I'm starting to worry.

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
You can not go wrong with a good alarm vanbitz fitted mine Eddie is a member on here and offers a funster discount a tracker is a good idea or if you want something simpler try something that will put thief of attacking your van a flashing red light on the dash warning stickers on doors or a good steering wheel lock.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Figures for robberies indicate that France has less than half the number that the UK has (2012 figures latest I could find) so don't feel you're at more risk abroad.
Alarm/immobiliser is good, Tracker if you want one but motorhomes are seldom stolen, its usually the contents (Rolex watches, Ipads, thousands of quid in used notes etc) that are targeted. I suppose a flashier motorhome might be taken as an indication that there is more valuable stuff in it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
I've only got a Casio, some loose change and a Gameboy so should be OK. Makes me glad I didn't go for that £200k Concorde motorhone....
Alarm it is.
Cheers

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Eddies strike back and tracker for security
Insurance for piece of mind
Or
Paint it Mat Black and don't clean the windows
Seemples

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
I'm in Inverness and the trip down is a wee mission.
Looking at rhino installs toad alarm with immobiliser as I've booked Phil to fit a reversing camera when we stop in York on route to France in July, hoping it can all be done in a day.

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
If your plans do change then drop me a line and I will be more than happy to put some literature in the post for you to have a read through...

enjoy your new motorhome (y)

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Hi James,

Would you do that anyway as I'd like to compare. If you text me on 07947772066ill fire over my address. Cheers

OP
OP
D.ten
Feb 15, 2016
inverness, highland
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis I 562
Exp
since 2003
Can you fit deadlocks to an a-class, I thought you could only do this to vans with van front's (if that makes sense. showing my newbie-ness here)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Can you fit deadlocks to an a-class, I thought you could only do this to vans with van front's (if that makes sense. showing my newbie-ness here)

Yes you can.....best to order as a factory fit but no problem retro fitting them....

Robsie

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Hymer T 704SL
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi new Hymer T704 SL and slightly paranoid about security stuff and getting it right. Just had an excellent experience getting Growler fitted with Van Bitz along with Solar Panel. But am now interested in deadlocks as the locks as standard on the Hymer seem a little...esp on the Hab door, any advise. Robsie, enjoy Motorhome Fun too!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Deadlocks

Yep, that will work.....
dl.jpg

Robsie

Free Member
Dec 1, 2016
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Hymer T 704SL
Exp
Im a newbie
Exactly what do I need to buy? or, who fits them etc and what sort of money?
Maybe I could fit them?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Exactly what do I need to buy? or, who fits them etc and what sort of money?
Maybe I could fit them?

I did quote somewhere about how bad a deadlock looked. Basically the installer fitted a 4mm steel plate onto the door jamb into which the deadlock locked, when I said "any idiot could instantly move a door jamb 4mm with a tyre lever" the installer did not take it well. So I am saying that a 24 lever bank quality lock is worth nowt if fitted badly.

The other classic mistake I've seen is "We lean out of the window to lock the external deadlock, then we are really safe". Yeh, right, right until the flames are licking at your ar$e and you can't get out.

Read Jim's security manual for a broad education on security.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back