Suggestions for a site for this summer please! (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Afternoon all. Would really appreciate some help please! We will be heading down through France at the end of July and had hoped to go on down into Spain for the first time. Now, before you reply, we do NOT want to stop on any aire type areas once in Spain. What we are looking for is a reasonably priced campsite that has a pool and hopefully a bar (or near one!) We will be travelling with our 13 year old granddaughter and that's why we need a pool. Not bothered about it being near the coast. Anybody have any recommendations? Only ones I can find are massively expensive and I thought Spain was supposed to be cheap (compared to here!)
Thank you in advance for your help,
Gerri

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Join ACSI. Really good prices out of season. But in season Late July /August it will be expensive.
We stayed on " camping La Maura, on the coast near Tarragona. Fabulous, you wont want to move on.
Phil

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
at the end of July

Only ones I can find are massively expensive
Gerri

July, expect to pay an arm and a leg. But what do you call "massively expensive" ? You can easily pay €80 a night in peak season.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Join ACSI.

Phil

Just so they are not frightened off, it's not a club, you just buy the DVD and it will offer thousands of campsites in a very easy to use program, provided they have a Windows laptop of course.

The ASCI book lists only the discount sites which is nowhere near as many and of course there are no discounts in July.

Or go on the ACSI website.

http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
July / August and Spain on a campsite = Expensive, most probably noisy and hectic..
It's their holidays as well..

I know you say you dont want aire type places... BUT we have gone last 4 years with my grandkids and the aires have been the best stops !
One village has free parking opposite a play park and an outdoor pool.
Another is on a lake with man made beach, life guards etc..
Dont rule them out completely..

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That's prime holiday season...book well in advance and be prepared to pay top dollar. It will also be very hot indeed...We won't go in high summer anymore

Dutch site zoover good for reviews of family sites all over europe.....

http://www.zoover.co.uk/campsites

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Gerri, everyone has said it all. Most european sites in July are really expensive and filled to capacity. There are aires in France and Spain that are well worth giving a go. We stayed in a campsite called Beau Rivage, at Navarrenx when we had the caravan, so had the car to drive around in, so maybe not so good for the motorhome, but worth spending a few nights there - theres a pool, and lovely little villages and towns in cycling distance - owned by a British couple who are really lovely. Not sure if it would be on your route to spain, but worth researching.

Having said all that, your granddaughter might want to be in the all singing all dancing sites, where her Dutch and German language skills would come on apace! Not sure if Ron could stand all the noise from The Groovy Club, or the Swimming Pools - whilst on the subject of swimming pools, check he has a pair of speedo swimming trunks - boxer type ones are not allowed in euro swimming pools! :LOL:

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
:thanks3:Thank you so much for all your replies. I do realise that many actual campsites are ridiculously expensive during school holidays. However, there was a good reason for my asking! We have visited Luché-Pringé in France for the last 10 years. The campsite is owned by the village and is alongside the village leisure area with a pool and small daytime bar etc. It's a fantastic place and is only €15.20 a night in the summer. All in. Here's the problem; after 10 years and me never having visited Spain we thought now we had a motor home we would give it a go. I was sure someone else might know a little gem of a place in Spain rather like our little gem in France! But it's not looking great so my foray to Spain may have to wait. We haven't totally ruled out Aires but don't know how to find any good ones so will need your help, although Ron says he doesn't want to spend a week on a car park!
I appreciate that it's hot then, we like that but anyway as a teacher I don't get to choose to go out of season. July and August are the only times I get a long enough break to warrant a trip that far. So come on Funsters, if a campsite isn't an option, spill the beans on your little treasures of stops for us! :sun:

Deleted User
image.png
Villasol showing €448 for 14 nights (last week in July first week in August)

€32 / night (about £26)

Maybe some just out of town slightly cheaper.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We haven't totally ruled out Aires but don't know how to find any good ones

We have the Vicarious Spain aires, the ones we've looked at are nothing like French ones, we've driven away from a few now. Just a rough car park in the back end of a rough town sort of thing. There may well be some nice ones but we've not found them.

Try a few days at Camping Eden in Peniscola. I don't know the price but it has the pool and the restaurant was being rebuilt in January. A really nice town with an awesome castle. Not far from France.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think Aires a bad idea in high summer. As most little more then car parks. With zero facilities and many not even with shade or camping style pitches where you can live outside in the heat of day.

I stand by what I said re Spain. ..A great destination but not in school holidays. I am aware of your dilemma as my wife in education so fully aware of the limitation.

Plenty of decent family oriented sites in France. Germany. Italy wherever! :)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Here's one for you.

http://www.oasismar.com/alojamientos/parcelas/ it's just outside Cambrils about 6km south of Salou.

It's relatively inexpensive at around 40euros / night. The pool's not great, there was lots of cat poop when we stayed but the luscious beach is just yards away, the sea is clear and warm. If you're looking for great sea, sand and sunshine it ticks the boxes.

Fwiw we'll be staying at http://www.yellohvillage.co.uk/camping/le_serignan_plage it's expensive at 60-70euros / night but it's right on the beach with some of the best pools, entertainments and facilities out there...
It's only one week a year.. can't let a couple of hundred euros stop you having the holiday you want !

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We have the Vicarious Spain aires, the ones we've looked at are nothing like French ones, we've driven away from a few now. Just a rough car park in the back end of a rough town sort of thing. There may well be some nice ones but we've not found them.

Try a few days at Camping Eden in Peniscola. I don't know the price but it has the pool and the restaurant was being rebuilt in January. A really nice town with an awesome castle. Not far from France.

We like Peniscola as well have been in high summer. its a lovely town like you say the castle and surroundings nice.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
This is one of our favorite campsites,well laid out themed site with nightly entertainment ,swim up bar ,onsite resaurant,next to the beach,lidles etc nearby,cycle tracks etc.We would go there out of season for the OAP rate but in high season not unreasonable.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry, Peniscola is further south than I thought. We stopped in Blanes coming home, a lovely town, lots of small restaurants and many campsites. The one we were on did not have a swimming pool but we saw others that did.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You'll almost certainly find sites a bit more reasonably priced if you can identify somewhere suitable inland, away from the coast.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
And some here whinge about the price of cc and c&cc sites ..haha.
Yes they do but you can't stay on Caravan Club and C&C club sites for £8 or £10 a night the rest of the year and what facilities do they offer,,bugger all. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Spain is rammed in Aug as is Coastal France,,,inland France your best bet.BUSBY.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have stayed on both Camping Las Dunas & Camping El Delfin Verde near L'Estartit in the past when our kids were teenagers. Great sites but I would imagine they are VV expensive. They are the kind of sites where you can park up and not move cos they've got everything on site.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Yes they do but you can't stay on Caravan Club and C&C club sites for £8 or £10 a night the rest of the year and what facilities do they offer,,bugger all. BUSBY.
Your right of course ,no bars or swimming pools ,just immaculate toilet and shower blocks ,hardstandings,electric hookups ,back and grey water disposal ,great locations ..usually an on site shop and public transport nearby.. children's playground.. Dog walking areas ..oh and a bit cheaper in the low season.but other than that bugger all as you say ..Roy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You'll almost certainly find sites a bit more reasonably priced if you can identify somewhere suitable inland, away from the coast.

Yes but for us a walk/cycle along the sea front, have a coffee and watch the world parade by is the holiday.

It was glorious sunshine when we had a coffee here...
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@41.6...KioE3Af0ST7iaA_Rog!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

And lunch here....
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...0x12bb1630b71a897b:0x283b70294c417155!6m1!1e1

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Afternoon all. Would really appreciate some help please! We will be heading down through France at the end of July and had hoped to go on down into Spain for the first time. Now, before you reply, we do NOT want to stop on any aire type areas once in Spain. What we are looking for is a reasonably priced campsite that has a pool and hopefully a bar (or near one!) We will be travelling with our 13 year old granddaughter and that's why we need a pool. Not bothered about it being near the coast. Anybody have any recommendations? Only ones I can find are massively expensive and I thought Spain was supposed to be cheap (compared to here!)
Thank you in advance for your help,
Gerri

Where do you want to go in Spain? What do you want to see? We found several sites in the North, west of Santander and they had space in the peak of the season - August. We visited the North East near Roses several years ago - most of the sites near the beach were big and expensive but we found one a KM or two from the beach which was "only" 30 Euros or so. The beach was OK but as got windy each afternoon and it was uncomfortable to sit in the sandblast.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It's only school holiday period that is expensive. Have spent 30 years travelling high season and never not had an enjoyable holiday! Like the OP have no choice due to wifes profession......its all in careful planning and driving south at night!...

Making comparisons with CC sites in the UK frankly laughable. French municipals better, and better located at a third of the price:whistle:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Your right of course ,no bars or swimming pools ,just immaculate toilet and shower blocks ,hardstandings,electric hookups ,back and grey water disposal ,great locations ..usually an on site shop and public transport nearby.. children's playground.. Dog walking areas ..oh and a bit cheaper in the low season.but other than that bugger all as you say ..Roy
You can get all that plus pool,bar restaurant, gymnasium ,shop, spa etc etc plus of course usually decent weather in Spain for much less money,,,BUSBY...

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Gerri,

We stayed out of season at Camping Medes in L'estartit which was a nice little (small compared to many on this coast) site. Obviously it won't be cheap but it had a nice outdoor pool, indoor pool and a bar/ restaurant and really nice shower blocks. There's no dogs allowed in August though (I can't remember if you've got one).

I would recommend L'estartit although a busy holiday area I thought the town itself was one of the nicer along that coast.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back