Abolished, tolls on the Via do Infante (A22) Portugal (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I don`t think it is an April fool job, but the tolls on the A22 have been abolished. As some folk on here use it, I thought it might be of interest. :)

The Government decided to abolish tolls on the Via do Infante (A22), creating an exception regime under the former SCUT (Auto-Estradas no cost to the user) to the Algarve region.

The decision was taken yesterday in the evening in the Council of Ministers in Lisbon, according to the statement issued was based principally 'the need to meet the specificities of the Algarve region in the application of the principle of substantive validity of fiscal policy. '

the Parliament Resolution on the basis of the decision

The information note from the Presidency of the Council of Ministers puts forward as a starting point for decision making 'the unanimous vote in the National Assembly in which all the parliamentary groups passed a resolution urging the government to stop the collection of tolls on the A22' but stresses that the executive was already considering taking this measure as a result of a study of Portugal Infrastructure and the policy position taken by the executive in policy frame on tolls, advanced further during the election process that led the election. '

Parliament's resolution was proposed by all Members representing the circle Algarve

It is recalled that the resolution of the Assembly of the Republic was voted by a joint proposal of all Members representing the Algarve circle, which had the support of other chamber of deputies thus meeting the minimum number of lawmakers needed for acceptance of the resolution to vote.

The meeting of the Council of Ministers was held yesterday in Lisbon

The technical reasons for the decision

The Council of Ministers states that 'the study of Infrastructure Portugal held still during the previous consulate Government, found the value embedded with the collection of tolls on the A22 and the framing of it in that way concession contract, but did not meet the concept of substantive validity of the adoption of tolls and the cost-benefit balance of the existence of a toll road with users with the characteristics of those who are the users of the A22 universe, including its impact on tourists. '

The decision explained by a tax expert

The POSTAL the Adérito course fiscalist clarified the reasons given by the executive, recalling that the substantive validity of a fee, as are the toll depends on a set of criteria that define whether their existence is generally positive for the entity that charges in particular, whether the toll collection is 'ultimately' a positive outcome in the economy and finance of the State or, on the contrary, turns out to be negative in this overall analysis. '

Arthur Laffer, the economist who created one of the methods of analysis of substantive validity of the application of duties and taxes

'The Laffer curve is a good indicator basis for this analysis,' the expert, 'allowing begin to understand from what value is that charging a fee to generate prejudice rather than generating actual revenue,' says Adérito course, which clarifies that 'the analysis can and should even be made against the zero scenario, ie whether the non-recovery can be more positive than the collection of a fee'.

In the opinion of fiscalist have been 'based on analyzes by these and other assessment tools that the Government have concluded that the collection of tolls on the Via do Infante is more harmful to the economy and state finances than their non-recovery even in view of the fulfillment of the road concession contract. '

The ordinance which finishes with tolls on the A22 enter into force after completion of the legal procedures necessary for its effectiveness.

The Council of Ministers met yesterday in the afternoon, in what was the latest initiative of the Youth Fortnight to mark the March 28, 1947.

As for the abolition of tolls on the A22 was voted based on the resolution adopted unanimously by the Assembly of the Republic, a youth plenary session held on 28 March, with the presence of young people from all regions of Portugal on the same number that Members elected by each of the constituencies.

The Algarvian young people sitting in this Parliament, as many as the deputies elected by the Algarve to Parliament, proposed the resolution for the abolition of tolls on the A22 and convinced colleagues plenary for approval on the grounds that 'this would be a way to distinguish Algarve for its importance in the March 28, 1947 '.

'At that time they joined hundreds of young people in a camp organized by the Democratic Youth Unity Movement (MUD Juvenil) in Bela Mandil, in the Algarve.

That day were repressed violently by the PIDE and their fight was another important step for the April Revolution and the achievements that secured all Portuguese 'could read the draft resolution.

The Council of Ministers made the decision that was made by a young man from each district of Portugal on behalf of all the districts of the mainland and the autonomous regions of Azores and Madeira.

Youth Fortnight of A was an initiative developed by the Government and the Parliament as part of the celebrations of the 40th anniversary of the Portuguese Constitution, in order to make known to young people the legislative process in our country.

Reactions: JJ

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I recall there was some 'threat' of prosecution/revolt etc by the Portuguese natives about it as it breached some 'rights' or something to be able to travel without tolls ... or summut like that! :D

I'm sure our resident Portugal guru would know more about this! :LOL:

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The "locals" and business have been on the governments back ever since it was changed to a toll road, eventually it seems to have paid off.

I use the road a fair bit as my house in Spain is quite near, so I am pleased........not that I paid very often.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Does all that mean it was built with EU money and there was no legal basis to charge? Never paid in all the years I've been using it, never got a Bill, sure someone will have a pop now! Bring it on saddos!:)
Been loads of times, never paid

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Wanting to import the mo/home,i did let them know last year about the wrong Reg. details on the computor photo read out at the booth entering from Spain,so that was a first,no fines/asked to pay/nothing. Now it is on Porty plates,i will have to pay. Even when the Tolls started,running around,up and down,the idea was you left it 3-4 days,then went into the local post office and they should have had a list..... "Sorry,you are not on it...." That was all i needed to hear,never bothered them again.
Tea Bag

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
How ironic, we were just discussing this matter this evening. This looks like very good news, charging for the A22 was a ridiculous idea, and not because of the whole SCUT thing, purely because it forced people on to the EN125 (or the road of death as it is known locally).
Very happy with this post :D

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Does all that mean it was built with EU money and there was no legal basis to charge? Never paid in all the years I've been using it, never got a Bill, sure someone will have a pop now! Bring it on saddos!:)
It's people like you who spoil it for others, a good friend (well his wife and dog) of mine was in Portugal this winter and needed 4 new tyres due to potholes which most likely would of been filled in if people had payed the tolls,
S. Addo

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's people like you who spoil it for others, a good friend (well his wife and dog) of mine was in Portugal this winter and needed 4 new tyres due to potholes which most likely would of been filled in if people had payed the tolls,
S. Addo
If he needed 4 new tyres he must have either been driving too fast for the state of the roads and/or his tyres must already have been in a bad state ...

Also, can I refer you to Rule #1 of the forum.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
S. Addo
Yeh, rule 1:p S. Addo, You can always tell a scouser, but not much!!
Actually Dave, that was quite funny(y)

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Strangely I can find no back up to this claim, though I suspect the contract for the tolls will not be renewed when it runs out at the end of this year. It costs the government money and was one of the reasons I suspect the previous government charged the PM who signed the contract with fraud. For a year I lived close to the A22 and after the tolls started traffic more than halved. There is a lot of work now on the 125, which will make it better, but right now it is even worse than t used to be

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
This is a April fool joke on another site the same date April 1st they said the 125 was going to be a toll road once the road works are finished

OP
OP
Billy23

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Strangely I can find no back up to this claim, though I suspect the contract for the tolls will not be renewed when it runs out at the end of this year. It costs the government money and was one of the reasons I suspect the previous government charged the PM who signed the contract with fraud. For a year I lived close to the A22 and after the tolls started traffic more than halved. There is a lot of work now on the 125, which will make it better, but right now it is even worse than t used to be

If you live near the A22, your name may be Dave, if it is, then ask Kevin.

If that`s not a correct guess.....then you cannot ask Kevin. :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I drove the length of it last week and never saw one toll booth. They must have dismantled them :cool:.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I drove the length of it last week and never saw one toll booth. They must have dismantled them :cool:.

There aren't any it is all electronic, there are tolling gantries which have cameras to take pictures of those who do not have electronic transponders. So far they haven't chased up non Portuguese non payers

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
There aren't any it is all electronic, there are tolling gantries which have cameras to take pictures of those who do not have electronic transponders. So far they haven't chased up non Portuguese non payers
This may help:
sarcasm.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I went to seek him out a few weeks ago. He doesn't exist, he is a myth and I think its @buttons evil twin living in Dagenham.
Noooo ... he and Jaws are the same person ..... :D

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
6 billion a year from the EU (and a considerable wedge from the British taxpayer) to this shambles of a 3rd world country and apparently fraudulent system! And the roads are still crap! Would this money not be better spent on British roads? visiting Portugal convinced me the UK would be far better off leaving the EU and using the £58 million a day for ourselves not these lazy freeloaders.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
6 billion a year from the EU (and a considerable wedge from the British taxpayer) to this shambles of a 3rd world country and apparently fraudulent system! And the roads are still crap! Would this money not be better spent on British roads? visiting Portugal convinced me the UK would be far better off leaving the EU and using the £58 million a day for ourselves not these lazy freeloaders.

Your "wind ups" won't work with me (anti) "Windy Man". :rofl:

As soon as we can get rid of the Little Islanders of Blighty the better!

May I assume we in Portugal are unlikely to have you visit here again?

JJ :cool:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Your "wind ups" won't work with me (anti) "Windy Man". :rofl:

As soon as we can get rid of the Little Islanders of Blighty the better!

May I assume we in Portugal are unlikely to have you visit here again?

JJ :cool:
I won't be visiting again as once the British cash cow has left the farm the whole place may well fall apart without the 6 billion a year unless the EU can find another or other mug countries to stump up. And that maybe Scotland, Turkey or any other possible eastern European entrants to the EU, so good luck Portugal in getting any real money out of them!.....still those nice Portugese communist people I met will no doubt do a great job of finishing off the country!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back