Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Heads up for the overweights!!!

The gendarmerie are out in force on the N10 just north of Angoulleme. They are carrying out weight checks on both the north and south bound carriageways. We were stopped and were OK. The nice Gendarme did comment that he was surprised that our Autotrail was not over weight, as he stated they were normally a 'good bet'. I explained that we had been upgraded via SVTech and were OK. They were only interested in gross weights.

So all those travelling down or back from hols with full tanks of water - BEWARE

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

The gendarmerie are out in force on the N10 just north of Angoulleme. They are carrying out weight checks on both the north and south bound carriageways. We were stopped and were OK. The nice Gendarme did comment that he was surprised that our Autotrail was not over weight, as he stated they were normally a 'good bet'. I explained that we had been upgraded via SVTech and were OK. They were only interested in gross weights.

So all those travelling down or back from hols with full tanks of water - BEWARE

Did they check the plate or did they know the weight?

I have got both my original plate and next to it the new one from SV Tech, never really thought about possible confusion, but we do also carry the revised V5 document

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
He checked the plates but then asked for the V5. They took the 'revenue weight' off the V5 as the correct one (4500kgs as up rated via SVTech), and showed this to the 'top man'. He came over and expressed his surprise at the revenue weight (he appeared to know his Motorhomes) and we then discussed the SVTech up rating process and technical changes made. The SVTech plate mirrors the V5 revenue weight.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Out of interest did they weigh you first and then let you know the weight before checking your plate and V5C?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
He checked the plates but then asked for the V5. They took the 'revenue weight' off the V5 as the correct one (4500kgs as up rated via SVTech), and showed this to the 'top man'. He came over and expressed his surprise at the revenue weight (he appeared to know his Motorhomes) and we then discussed the SVTech up rating process and technical changes made. The SVTech plate mirrors the V5 revenue weight.

do you still have both plates on yours?

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
Great heads up @Nigel&Debbie and of course Tarni ❤️ On a similar vein re weights, as you and Debbie know, we broke down yesterday in Portugal. We called recovery giving our weights and dimensions. They sent a completely inappropriate tow truck for our vehicle. We eventually got the correct truck, arrived at the garage and overnighted. Today, the technicians were directing us onto an inspection ramp that we noticed was limited to 4000kg. I stepped out and pointed to our plate that is 4600kg - we were directed to a different bay. Seems we are more aware of weights than they are!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I don't think you are allowed to remove the original plate. The new one goes next to it, if you downgrade again, the new plate goes on as well. You will then have 3 plates.
Or so I am told........

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think most AT owners have a little more then that to worry about:D

NASTY SLUR.....
I hope you know my van has been back to the factory for "rectification".. ( again). :doh:

Anyway.. No issue on my Apache 700.. Carry a full freshwater tanks and still have spare capacity.. (y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I don't think you are allowed to remove the original plate. The new one goes next to it, if you downgrade again, the new plate goes on as well. You will then have 3 plates.
Or so I am told........

My previous van had 3 plates.. original Fiat. then Autotrail after the conversion then SV Tech after the upgrade...

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Out of interest did they weigh you first and then let you know the weight before checking your plate and V5C?

We were signalled by police motorcyclist to follow him off N10 and into the rest area, and straight onto the mobile weigh plates. After weighing both front and rear axles, only then did they check plates and V5

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013

We have 3 plates 1 fiat original 2 Autotrail as 2nd convertor and3 SVTech plate. As originally stated. They used the revenue weight from the V5 and weren't really bothered about axle weights

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks for that, a good reminder to carry at least a copy of your V5 (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
NASTY SLUR.....
I hope you know my van has been back to the factory for "rectification".. ( again). :doh:

Anyway.. No issue on my Apache 700.. Carry a full freshwater tanks and still have spare capacity.. (y)

Surprised they don't come with an emergency tap fitted on wall! Surely enough moisture in most brit vans for a cuppa:)

Have SVT shares in AT?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
SVTech have a share in a lot of MHs I think! :D

As I proved though there are cheaper ways to do it ... (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think most AT owners have a little more then that to worry about:D

I've just been summonsed by London-based Lawyer for your personal details to include full name and address. Would you kindly furnish them by way of private conversation. Thanks

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I've just been summonsed by London-based Lawyer for your personal details to include full name and address. Would you kindly furnish them by way of private conversation. Thanks

Judge Mental
C/O
Mossack Fonseca
Edificio Arango Orillac Piso 1,
Panama, Panamá,
Calle 54 Este,
Panama City, Panama

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Neither was he!!!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Autotrail or one of their dealers is obviously fed up with the constant attack on their products! As an AT owner it is pretty galling to have to read his keyboard warrior writings day in day out which no doubt devalues our vans by putting off potential buyers!
Honest reports from owners are fair enough but let's hope he learns a lesson from this!

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009

Can I ask if they looked at individual axle wts or just the overall total?

Dick

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Autotrail or one of their dealers is obviously fed up with the constant attack on their products! As an AT owner it is pretty galling to have to read his keyboard warrior writings day in day out which no doubt devalues our vans by putting off potential buyers!
Honest reports from owners are fair enough but let's hope he learns a lesson from this!
I think you'll find this is a 'fun' forum and things are said in jest ... there are a LOT of cases of leaky Autotrails, as well as Swifts and other makes too, not just British - Eddie (Judge Mental) had a Euromobil coachbuilt at one point that was found to have a lot of damp in there structure when he changed it (fortunately covered under warranty), so don't think that Autotrails are the only ones to get this special leg-pulling treatment! The Swift Kontiki for example is commonly known as a 'Leaky Kontiki' ... :rolleyes:

To add that you think that Eddie could in any way devalue your van is just plain silly ... he's not THAT influential! :D

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I think you'll find this is a 'fun' forum and things are said in jest ... there are a LOT of cases of leaky Autotrails, as well as Swifts and other makes too, not just British - Eddie (Judge Mental) had a Euromobil coachbuilt at one point that was found to have a lot of damp in there structure when he changed it (fortunately covered under warranty), so don't think that Autotrails are the only ones to get this special leg-pulling treatment! The Swift Kontiki for example is commonly known as a 'Leaky Kontiki' ... :rolleyes:

To add that you think that Eddie could in any way devalue your van is just plain silly ... he's not THAT influential! :D

Well said....

Leave my "watertrail" alone. and those poor people with "konleakies".. :rofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

We can all learn a lesson. Don't buy from a company that is willing to attempt to use threatening behaviour .

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Surprised they don't come with an emergency tap fitted on wall! Surely enough moisture in most brit vans for a cuppa:)

Have SVT shares in AT?
It's the damp that stops the headlights from overheating and exploding.:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back