Super Besse Central France? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
We find our selves in the van within striking distance of the Puy de Sancy and I wondered if anyone had skied here? It's South west of Clermont-Ferrand and is part of the central massif I think.
There are a couple of aires there and on Snowheads someone said last week they still had snow down to the resort. Mont -Dore is closed apparently but Super-Besse is open till 17th April.
Any thoughts much appreciated. This is our first trip in the moho and we're a bit nervous of going near snow. We didn't bring snow chains but I guess we could buy them and have them demonstrated. I'd be surprised if there's any snow on the roads though this time of year. What do you think?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Sounds exciting and I would go for it.
Surprised if you couldn't pick up some snow chains on route, try auchan, leclerc aldi etc or a local garage

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Had look at the webcam and there is still snow but base looks very little so guess the roads will be clear

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks.
Are we obliged to fit them if we drive into snow?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Here is the webcam site and roads look fine . Info route says you should have chains in case required but personally I would not think needed at thus time of year . As Frankie says supermarket or Norauto is your best bet .
From webcam looks like a van parked up . Good luck it is lovely .

http://www.sancy.com/pratique/webcams

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi again
We tried to buy some snow chains but nowhere had them on the way here.
It's gorgeous sun right now but snow is forecast tomorrow (just a bit) and we'll probably stay here till it melts anyway.
I had an enjoyable morning skiing at Super Besse. Bought some ex rental Rossignol skis for 100e so was well pleased I don't need to hire any more.
I had a great morning on the slopes - a good variety of runs were open and the gondola goes right to the top. I enjoyed red blues and even a long green.
Prices were good too - 25e for over 60s and 31e for adults. If you're out for a lot of variety and fast blacks then this could be limiting but for a small resort I thought it was really good. Very pretty with the slopes spread all round the sides of a big lake.
Massive aire in which there are about 30 vans right now. Automated system where you check in, get a ticket and have to pay as you leave. Jettons for electric - 3e for a few hours.
We meant to park in Besse but sat nav took us here which is right in the function built resort of Super Besse. Very steep ascent. Beautiful
views though. The bars were either closed or dead at 8pm last night but we found a patisserie and grocery shop all with reasonable prices. It's got the usual modern build hi rise resort buildings and not too much atmosphere but I'm only here for the slopes!
image.jpg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was going to add to your other Karcher thread that you need to get somewhere warmer, see now why you might be getting condensation (y):)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Hi again
We tried to buy some snow chains but nowhere had them on the way here.
It's gorgeous sun right now but snow is forecast tomorrow (just a bit) and we'll probably stay here till it melts anyway.
I had an enjoyable morning skiing at Super Besse. Bought some ex rental Rossignol skis for 100e so was well pleased I don't need to hire any more.
I had a great morning on the slopes - a good variety of runs were open and the gondola goes right to the top. I enjoyed red blues and even a long green.
Prices were good too - 25e for over 60s and 31e for adults. If you're out for a lot of variety and fast blacks then this could be limiting but for a small resort I thought it was really good. Very pretty with the slopes spread all round the sides of a big lake.
Massive aire in which there are about 30 vans right now. Automated system where you check in, get a ticket and have to pay as you leave. Jettons for electric - 3e for a few hours.
We meant to park in Besse but sat nav took us here which is right in the function built resort of Super Besse. Very steep ascent. Beautiful
views though. The bars were either closed or dead at 8pm last night but we found a patisserie and grocery shop all with reasonable prices. It's got the usual modern build hi rise resort buildings and not too much atmosphere but I'm only here for the slopes!View attachment 99954

so glad you got there any enjoying it :) It is a very pretty spot .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back