The green light! (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi
Just bought 2 new 110 AH batteries. Green charge indicator(s) not working.
Phoned supplier "yeah well don't really matter them mate, probably little ball stuck". I asked if they were delived charged, "yep", they were partially charged. Charged and still no green light.
Do they really matter/work?
JK

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi
Phoned supplier "yeah well don't really matter them mate, probably little ball stuck". I asked if they were delived charged, "yep", they were partially charged. Charged and still no green light.
JK

In my opinion yes!! You have bought a new product that is not as it should be and you have the right to get your money back, this I would do as if there is one thing that is not as it should be then there may be more problems later when it may be too late to do anything about it.

Doug...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree with Doug .. the green eye isn't a ball

That "Green Eye" is actually a battery hydrometer built into the battery. The theory is you can tell the state of charge by looking at the coluor of the "eye". Since the battery is sealed there is no way to add battery acid or test with a hydrometer, this is the answer to that problem. Green is fully charged, orange is low charge and black is dead.... however, in practice they are not fully reliable.. but I would still take them back

JIm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi
JK

Probably the ball is stuck ;but something i never check and don't suppose others do, much prefer to use on-board meters or test with a multimeter

regards

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I agree, the ball is probably stuck. Especially if the batteries have been on the shelf a while. There may be a small piece of crud preventing the green ball from floating up. Rock the battery back and forth. This will mix the electrolyte and could free the green ball allowing it float up, but that is assuming the battery is fully charged, so its probably a good idea to have it on a trickle for at least 24 hours. If by then you still have no green eye, send them back.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
most of these visual indicators can be unscrewed and cleaned the small ball does act as a hydrometer ;but dirt will prevent it rising up or falling in the guides.Also as a part charged battery it will not show green until fully charged.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Probably the ball is stuck ;but something i never check and don't suppose others do, much prefer to use on-board meters or test with a multimeter

IMO batteries are funny things and so are warranties - I would be inclined to take them straight back without further ado because if you fiddle with them or leave it too long they have an argument - lets face it one thing could be they have no acid in them - if you charge them with no acid there could be safety issues . We had a problem a while back with a battery where the case split and let all the acid out . Battery manufacturers some how reserve the right to examine prior to credit - we did get our money back but it took 6 weeks. Your argument at the moment is really not fit for purpose as a part is not working different argument and should be exchange or money back.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back