Maniac Dutch.... (1 Viewer)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Sat here on the site at Javea and a dutch guy has just caved the front of his Hymer 585 Starlight in. He has taken around 15mins of shunting back and forth at a great deal of knots and managed to hit a great big tree right in front of him (if I can get a picture when he not about I will upload on here).
We are just glad that there is a great big tree in between us and him as protection.
Most of the site has now walked past to inspect the damage with lots of head shaking, i'm sure the bang could be heard in Denia!!!!

Wouldn't like that repair bill:cry::cry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think they might be a bit on the daft side.

I helped one off a soggy pitch in Normandy a few years ago and he thought the best way of getting off a wet pitch was to rev the ar$e out of the engine.

He was sat there for ages with his wheels spinning. I wandered over with my mats, put them under his wheels and he reversed off really quickly just avoiding a tree, and leaving my mats stuck in the mud he had created.

Not so much as a thank you either.

Ignorant and stupid.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
On a similar note I was at a marina up near Lancaster I had just parked in the car park which had a full gantry style height restrictor at the entrance 2metres high or thereabouts, when suddenly there was a tremendous bang, motorhome had taken the gantry beam out it was hinged and had chains to keep it locked that was one hell of a bang the van was severely damaged and the lady driving it was in a state of shock:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Eagerly awaiting the photos, not that I enjoy laughing at others misfortune you understand! :D

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Good job it was a foreign made motorhome which was madeof soft metal.. .if it had been British it would have just bulldozed everything out of the way causing no end of damage to the aire. ..lol....just call me reel em Roy.haha.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I wonder if the poor buggers foot slipped off the clutch? If he was revving the t**s off it it may have set off at a rate of knots :eek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I wonder if the poor buggers foot slipped off the clutch? If he was revving the t**s off it it may have set off at a rate of knots :eek:

Easily done wearing those wooden shoes they all favour.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We were at Javea a few weeks ago, and some of the pitches were very tight - even with a 7 metre van. There seem to be trees in some very awkward places.
I don't think my husband would be keen to go back there, although the site itself is very nice.

Apr 10, 2015
Australia
Funster No
MH
Big Marlin ,Elnagh, 1998
Exp
Motorhoming Europe since 2009
Nothing wrong with the Dutch, great people. Mind you, we have some silly buggers in this country
My name is Ewout Snel, guess where I was born. I have been living in Australia since I was 2 years old and we have our fair share of silly buggers here as well. There is nothing sadder than a crashed motorhome, or one that has broken down. Seeing a motorhome on a tow truck brings tears to by eyes.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Sat here on the site at Javea and a dutch guy has just caved the front of his Hymer 585 Starlight in. He has taken around 15mins of shunting back and forth at a great deal of knots and managed to hit a great big tree right in front of him (if I can get a picture when he not about I will upload on here).
We are just glad that there is a great big tree in between us and him as protection.
Most of the site has now walked past to inspect the damage with lots of head shaking, i'm sure the bang could be heard in Denia!!!!

Wouldn't like that repair bill:cry::cry:
Camping Javea or Naranjal ?

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Camping Javea or Naranjal ?
Javea
20160406_150422[1].jpg

Now they are trying to pull the damage out with a ratchet strap, there are about 4 dutch involved....... hope he doesnt reverse too far as there is another tree behind him!!!!!!!

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ouch! That does look expensive. It looks like the whole bumper section has moved back, judging by the gap at the bonnet

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
20160406_164735[1].jpg
20160406_164739[1].jpg
20160406_150422[1].jpg
20160406_164750[1].jpg

Photo's of damage.
1. Damage to van
2. Number screwed back on using a drill and new screws
3. The damage trying to be pulled out..... as you can see the damaged bodywork runs from the number plate around to just in front of the front wheel and then up over the top of the windscreen and down the other side to just in front of the front wheel and back to the number plate.
4. The offending tree!!!!!!

OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
If the guy had taken his time manoeuvring then it wouldn't have happened. He seemed hell bent on getting it on pitch using excessive revs and taking no notice of his partner.
Oh well it seems to have kept the site amused for a few hours!!

He seems to have taken it well though as he is now sat outside having an audience with lots of other dutch/belgium people.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Wouldn't it be funny if when trying to get the dent out by pulling against the tree that the tree fell on top of his van ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can we be assured the tree is fine? The Dutch have already had a swipe at our elms. Are they now ranging Europe bent on tree mayhem? A plague of dendromaniac Dutchmen would be worrying and a good reason for leaving the EU. :)

The affronted plant looks like a eucalyptus, which are almost impossible to kill but I guess if you hit them hard enough with a Hymer they will be set back a bit. Literally perhaps.

I suspect "going at it Hymer and tongs" won't translate into Flemish very well but if you see him hitting any more trees please report him. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
elamessa
May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Can we be assured the tree is fine? The Dutch have already had a swipe at our elms. :)

It looks like a eucalyptus
, which are almost impossible to kill but I guess if you hit them hard enough with a Hymer they will be set back a bit. Literally perhaps.

I suspect "going at it Hymer and tongs" won't translate into Flemish very well but if you see him hitting any more trees please report him. :)
It is a London plane...... I was worried that the ratchet strap would break and he would shoot backwards into the tree behind him!!!:eek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back