Free Member
Jan 18, 2009
wee island across pond NI
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
3 years
hi all could someone tell me why the steering on my fiat ducato swift kontiki has started to make a banging noise every time i turn the wheel.it used to do it only when i held it on full Lock but has started to do it any time i turn the wheel now.:Confused:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,does it make the banging noise when the wheels are stationary or when the van is moving?

St.Cyr

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
West Wales/Normandy
Funster No
MH
Merc self-build
Exp
On & off, 30 years ...
Hi. Can't remember if the Ducato has Mc'Pherson strut front suspension? If so it's the same as on the old Peugeot 404/504/505. I've owned dozens over the years and 3 or 4 of them developed a loud bang (after high mileage) when turning the wheel, as you said starting on full lock & getting worse. It was the coil spring moving in its top mounting... Just a possibility... :thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi.

Consistant click or bang when on some form of lock, most likely CV joint. Single, could be the spring, a good look may reveil (show up, can't spell) evedence of movement, or it could even be a ball joint that's dry, ie OK straight ahead but of center dry and the bang is momentary siezing of the joint. There is I suppose another option, engine/gearbox mountings worn and the stresses of low speed manovering being to much. Jack it up and have a good poke, or garage time and probably sooner than later.

Good luck:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
or garage time and probably sooner than later.

I agree with dodgey get it to a pro before it becomes a major prob:thumb:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
or garage time and probably sooner than later.

I agree with dodgey get it to a pro before it becomes a major prob:thumb:

Agree totally.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi if you get a knocking sound when you turn the wheel as you are moving, that's normally a cv joint, often caused by the rubber boot splitting and letting the grease out and the crap in. Fairly straightforward DIY job.

Olley

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be one of three things.....

1....power steering pump on its way out. metalic grating noise...new pump.

2....suspension strut top bearing dry and failing.....bottom of coil spring is turning but the top isnt until it has enough torque to force it to turn...a loud 'twanging' sound usually only noticed when stationary turning steering into lock.....common fault on older ducato's (mine does it occasionally)and no quick fix....new bearing.

3....and most likely.....failing/failed Constant Velocity joint.....only does it if moving and will be a steady metalic knocking sound getting faster as you go faster....New CV joint.
MOT failure item i believe.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back