Alternative to a driveaway awning anyone used this (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We are thinking of getting a driveaway awning for use mainly when our daughter joins us for a little more room, apart from that we wouldn't use one much. While on a site in France a couple of years ago we noticed someone in a camper using one of these

The idea would be to place it close to the van and then while we are there wind out our awning by a foot or so to cover the gap, we would wind the awning in when not there or overnight.

So has anyone here done this

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Take a look at the Quest pop up day room, a bit dearer but also I think it is more substantial. There are a few Funsters have them, me for one, and I highly recommend them.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We have seen something similar on French sites too. A great place to store your extra Voddy!! Or have an impromptu musical soirée with Jock! Singing your famous song " I can cook 600 hundred rashers, and I can cook 600 hundred more" !!!;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
Be for I bought the MH, I had and still have a Mazda Bongo camper van. These were very popular with Bongo owners. I think that the stopped making them. They were snapped up on eBay very quick seems they are back. They are a great piece off kit.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have seen something similar on French sites too. A great place to store your extra Voddy!! Or have an impromptu musical soirée with Jock! Singing your famous song " I can cook 600 hundred rashers, and I can cook 600 hundred more" !!!;)

@Anthea M you will be giving people the impression im an alcoholic who like to sing (Shout), when really I want it to store my IrnBru and Haggis :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Haha but isn't irnBru just to disguise the vodka! When is your next marathon?

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Haha but isn't irnBru just to disguise the vodka! When is your next marathon?
You found out our little secret about the IrnBru :) Next one is London on the 24th of April so only a couple of weeks to get fit :)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Be for I bought the MH, I had and still have a Mazda Bongo camper van. These were very popular with Bongo owners. I think that the stopped making them. They were snapped up on eBay very quick seems they are back. They are a great piece off kit.

We still have our Bongo but haven't camped in it recently. We do, however, still have the day tent that we used with it. Not a Quechua but reasonably quick to put up. I think that it that they are more versatile than many Safari tents or similar.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We use a similar pop up when with the grandchildren [as they commandeer the van....] Great things but an absolute art to re fold them and get them back in that circular bag, audiences dont help.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use a similar pop up when with the grandchildren [as they commandeer the van....] Great things but an absolute art to re fold them and get them back in that circular bag, audiences dont help.

We have the smaller version as a tent so have got used to folding it down, although it did take a bit of practice

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
You found out our little secret about the IrnBru :) Next one is London on the 24th of April so only a couple of weeks to get fit :)
Good luck with that. I watch on TV so what is you number I can look out for you !! Haha how many thousands are running?!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We found that a drive away awning that didn't connect to the van was unusable/pointless in inclement weather and vowed never again. But I'm sure others have had better experiences.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Good luck with that. I watch on TV so what is you number I can look out for you !! Haha how many thousands are running?!
My Number is 19825, I'll be esay to spot as our club vest is a wheres wally top apart from that I'll be carring a bottle of IrnBru :). I am looking to do it in 3 hours 40 - 45 so should be finishing just before 2 pm

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We found that a drive away awning that didn't connect to the van was unusable/pointless in inclement weather and vowed never again. But I'm sure others have had better experiences.
It will be used mainly in the summer as our daughter doesn't do inclement weather :)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Easy to spot !! Where's Wally t shirt and bobble hat?!
Seriously good luck!!

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
We still have our Bongo but haven't camped in it recently. We do, however, still have the day tent that we used with it. Not a Quechua but reasonably quick to put up. I think that it that they are more versatile than many Safari tents or similar.
I can't sell my Bongo as its a great bit of kit camping, Traveling I have six seats. Loading stuff etc

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are thinking of getting a driveaway awning for use mainly when our daughter joins us

Not done that but have done the awning. There can be no comparison, the awning doubles/trebles your lounge area, it's like having a conservatory.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not done that but have done the awning. There can be no comparison, the awning doubles/trebles your lounge area, it's like having a conservatory.
We have done the awning in the past and I think we still have the revolution xl in our shed, we found unless we stayed for 3 nights or more we couldn't be bothered putting an awning up for the night or two so this could solve both solutions and you can fit two together if more space is needed.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Hi Matiyjwr are you in Bongo fury
Yes but not as active as I used to be. We've had ours for nearly 11 years and spent 150+ nights in it before getting the MH 3 years ago. We drove to France and Spain a couple of times and to Croatia once. We love it and it was the catalyst to getting the MH.

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
love our drive away vango awning. Easy to put up and take down. Folding it into bag is a pain so usually end up stuffing it in our large rear garage! Definitely becomes another room. Also gives good shelter on cold evenings

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Take a look at the Quest pop up day room, a bit dearer but also I think it is more substantial. There are a few Funsters have them, me for one, and I highly recommend them.
We have one best accessorie we have bought.

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
We've got a big awning with a sleeping extention. That's for if the kids come.
We've been looking for a smaller one and thought we'd narrowed it down to the sunncamp motor buddy 250 or the quest elite instant but this gives us another option.
I'd love a kela but can't convince SWMBO that's it's a justified expense

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We are thinking of getting a driveaway awning for use mainly when our daughter joins us for a little more room, apart from that we wouldn't use one much. While on a site in France a couple of years ago we noticed someone in a camper using one of these

The idea would be to place it close to the van and then while we are there wind out our awning by a foot or so to cover the gap, we would wind the awning in when not there or overnight.

Pop up tents are convenient in some ways but they are bulky and expensive for the size of shelter that they give.

Many shelters that I've seen don't have ground sheets, some don't reach the ground at the sides (our Sunn Camp Day Tent doesn't) and some don't have sides to them. For infrequent use, I'd buy a tent instead. It would give more versatile use and privacy and take up less space.

Would you anticipate sitting in the shelter to eat / relax during inclement weather?

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp

Maybe A better solution as mentioned, but when you add the sides and a mat of some kind, quite a bit dearer. Shame they
dont have a built in groundsheet.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Kampa now do an inflatable shelter, £249 at Camping & General, which includes the 4 sides. Felt the weight of it and it seemed lighter than the pole versions. I have a drive away, found it hard to put up on my own and because my fridge is the same side if the weather turns hot that stops working. It is now stored with all those other good ideas at the time in my garage

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Kampa now do an inflatable shelter, £249 at Camping & General, which includes the 4 sides. Felt the weight of it and it seemed lighter than the pole versions. I have a drive away, found it hard to put up on my own and because my fridge is the same side if the weather turns hot that stops working. It is now stored with all those other good ideas at the time in my garage

Looks good Unfortunatley it only fits vans with a hieght up to 190cm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back