Over head bed in A class Rapido (1 Viewer)

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
we have had our Rapido nearly 3 years and never used the over head bed, it has been lowered a couple of times no problem, but recently when trying to push it back up and lock it in place it is very heavy and takes 2 of us to push up back into place.
Any ideas why this may be? Something to do with the bracket not used much? Does it need greasing?
If anyone has had same problem, how did you fix yours

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sounds like a strut problem to me should go up with fingertip pressure.
Worth pointing out with A class van in cold weather if using the heating you should lower the bed a few inches to allow air to circulate or you can get condensation of the roof above the bed.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Check gas struts have been installed correct way round as can fail Iff upside down.

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Has anyone had new struts fitted by a motorhome dealer repairer, price quoted for fitting only, or has anyone fitted new struts to their motorhome (ours is a Rapido)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hi both. I believe @Jim had to replace the bed struts on his previous van. Also I think @JJ did his. Both Hymers but cannot imagine they would be that different.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I fitted a pair last year on my Hymer front bed.
Easy enough job don't need a dealer simple enough diy job.
Will skin your knuckles though.:)

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Does anyone know any dealers/workshop who would fit new gas struts to our Rapido, I have tried Edgehill today and they have only put some on Hymers.
any advise would be appreciated.
ps we are going to Peterborough show

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have now sold our Rapido.
So cant check but are there gas struts on a rapido?
I thought it was a sring ballance system.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Mine has gas struts but before you change them, make sure you don't have too much bedding on it. I have to spread pillows and quilt out or it won't go all the way up. If it lifts easily to start with and gets harder as it gets near the top it may be all it is.
As an aside, I have never had a condensation problem and never lower the bed unless it is going to be slept in.

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Mine has gas struts but before you change them, make sure you don't have too much bedding on it. I have to spread pillows and quilt out or it won't go all the way up. If it lifts easily to start with and gets harder as it gets near the top it may be all it is.
As an aside, I have never had a condensation problem and never lower the bed unless it is going to be slept in.
@cranky we don't use it to sleep on, as we have a fixed bed in the rear, I keep a blanket on it for when sitting outside in the cold.
but it is very hard to push back up on the lock position, it takes 2 of us, and we have been told it should just push up quite easy.
we also don't have any condensation as we always leave a heater on when really cold and not in use on our drive.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sounds like a strut problem to me should go up with fingertip pressure.
Worth pointing out with A class van in cold weather if using the heating you should lower the bed a few inches to allow air to circulate or you can get condensation of the roof above the bed.
Thanks @Lenny HB We learned that to our cost and the duvet got all black spots on it the missus wasn't to pleased.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You don't know until you pull the bed down when the heating has been on. A particularly cold night the Christmas before last I had put the heating on full blast when we went back to the van about 3 hours later I dropped the bed and there was condensation on the roof above the bed. I asked dealer about it, they said quite common in A class vans and advise dropping the bed a couple of inches when running the heating hot to allow air to circulate.
I only ever do it if it's really cold and the heating is on a long time.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Lenny HB yes I don't have heating on much but always make sure there's a gap at the top haven't had a problem since except banging my head on the bed end ouch!

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You don't know until you pull the bed down when the heating has been on. A particularly cold night the Christmas before last I had put the heating on full blast when we went back to the van about 3 hours later I dropped the bed and there was condensation on the roof above the bed. I asked dealer about it, they said quite common in A class vans and advise dropping the bed a couple of inches when running the heating hot to allow air to circulate.
I only ever do it if it's really cold and the heating is on a long time.

Funny you should say that. We were away in march and it was bloody cold, we had the hosting on four or five hours each night and on the last night I pulled down the bed to find that one of the pillows was quite damp. I assumed the worst and very closely inspected everything when we got home and tested with high pressure water, no leaks at all.

The mystery leak is solved, I recon it must have been condensation. Never experienced it before but then never and the hating on for o long in such cold temperatures before.

OP
OP
weekenders

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
Now you have all discussed condensation on your overcab beds, can we get back to the fitting of & anyone knows who can fit new gas struts on our Rapido

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back