Elekroblock 99 Charging Question (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
I have a Schaudt elektrobock 99 fitted in my Burstner 660 (2003). I want to be sure that the elektrobock 99 is charging my new batteries as one would expect and NOT overcharging them. I have the Schaudt manual & I have the dip switch set correctly to Lead Acid.

·The batteries are 2 new 115A Leisure Batteries (Yuasa Leisureline L35-115 12v 115Ah)

·The voltages / currents / A hrs readings are taken from a Victron BMV 700 battery monitor.

I am concerned that when switching on the Mains, the charge voltage always starts at somewhere between 14.2v & 14.4v. The very 1st Mains charge started at 14.4v @ 16A and dropped down to 13.7v once the charge current got to around 6 amps (after 12 hrs). It then stayed at 13.7v even after 48hrs when the charge current had dropped to only 0.2A.

I then drained the batteries very slowly for 5 days which took about 20 AHrs out of them. I had to take the van out for fuel, & so the engine ran for approx 30 mins which put a lot of charge back into the batteries (14.2V initial charge @ 16A falling to 3A at the end of the 30 mins)

When back on the drive, I did a 2nd Mains charge which started at 14.2v @ 4.4A; after 12 hours the charge was 13.75v @ 0.4A; after 24hrs it was 13.78v @ 0.28A.

There is no other form of charging as I have now removed the solar panel regulator (Sunsaver SS 6) from the circuits as this was wired to bypass the elektroblock charger. I am planning to replace the solar regulator with a new LR1218 when I am sure that the elektrobock 99 is operating correctly as designed.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
1.2.2.1 Charge Module LAS 1218, battery charging on mains supply charging characteristic *
maximum charging voltage * 14.3 V charging current * 18 A within mains supply range, electronically limited float voltage * 13.8 V, automatic change-over new charging cycle change-over to boost-charge if battery voltage < approx 13.8 V, with about 5 sec delay
3-phase characteristic:
I boost-charge at 18 A arithmetic mean, electronically limited up to maximum charging voltage
equalize-charge at constant 14.3 V,
selectable: 1 h duration for lead-acid, 8 h duration for lead-gel batteries
automatic change-over to float-charge at 13.8 V
If, due to high loads, the 13.8 V float voltage can't be provided, the battery charger starts a new charging cycle by switching over to boost-charge after a delay of approx 5 sec.
safety circuits :
overheat protected *
overload protection by electronic current limiting *
short-circuit protected by automotive safety fuse
1.2.2.2 Booster Unit WA 1214-8, battery charging while driving The booster unit WA 1214-8 raises the charging voltage supplied by the tow vehicle up to 14.4 V to get the caravan (living-area) battery fully charged while driving.
input voltage range * 9 - 14.5 V maximum charging voltage * 14.4 V charging current * charge current typically 8 A, living-area battery gets charged by alternator of tow vehicle through booster module input voltage = 12 V → charging current 8 A at 14.4 V → charging current 9 A at 13 V input voltage = 11 V → charging current 7 A at = 14.4 V → charging current 8 A at = 13 V stand-by current with ignition off * none, if wired according to EN 11648-1 safety circuit * short-circuit protected by build-in automotive safety fuse

HTH - seems to be saying that the figures u are seeing r about right.

OP
OP
iceclimber
Jan 19, 2013
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2010
Thank you Berni109 :)

I have the instruction manual & none of the above technical data is in there ! I presume you are quoting from a technical manual ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
Shaudt manuals are available as downloads from their website
Broken Link Removed

That URL was typed so hope it is OK!
You will need to give them an email, they send you a link that works ONCE to get you a download which is the manual which you can save. Hard bit is finding your item in the drop down menu but it will be there. You can register again if download doesn't work or you want a different manual.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
For comparison, the CTEK range of chargers, which are designed for permanent connection, have a float voltage of 13.6v.

Every power supply unit I have ever seen (mains powered units designed to be used instead of 12v batteries) quote an output voltage of 13.6v - right back to the early days of CB radios, when they were used to run a vehicle CB sets in the home (or transport caff).

So your float charge readings look about right.

By the way, I have an email from Udo Lang of Schaudt to say that the EBL 99 is one of the models that doesn't care whether you wire the solar panels via the EBL or direct to the batteries via a third party regulator. It is convenient to use the LR1218, because as well as coming ready to connect to the EBL, it will also charge your starter battery, but this can be done with any dual output regulator, or by fitting a Battery Master or similar product. If your Sunsaver is otherwise working correctly, you just need a Battery Master, as the Sunsaver is single output.

EDIT - to say that wiring via the EBL may also be the easiest way to get your battery monitor to reflect the overall situation. Depends on how that is wired.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
My brain hurts reading that :eek:
.... and that is one of the great things about this forum.

For every area where one person's brain hurts, there will be someone else with relevant expertise.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thank goodness for the techies of this world where would we be without them (n)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Been reading up on this because the connection of the lr1218 is not a simple plug and play (as I previously though) on my electroblok although the wiring loom supplied would suggest it is.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back