Interesting cooking pots on Ebay .... hmmmmm (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just happened to see this on Ebay ... it's an electric rice cooker/food steamer etc with 2 pots. It not only cooks the food but also utilises a vacuum too ... it got me wondering if it would be any use to MHers either to use on site or whilst travelling ... similar to Mr D's cooking pot thing but with an electric element too, however I would imagine it could be used in a similar way to Mr D's as the containers are stainless steel so the contents could be started off on the hob ... it could also be used instead of a slow cooker with the benefit of being able to do 2 separate items at once.

What do you think?

There's a 1.8L and 1.2L version:

1.8L: 3 tier

$_57.JPG

1.2L: 2-tier (its apparently available in different colours!)

$_1.JPG

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I like that, it's sort of a Tiffin Box that runs off electricity, and now all I can think of is curry! :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just looking at other versions of this and came across this picture ... I know we 'think' they can't say 'r' but it appears to be how they spell too sometimes! :D

QQ622A56FE20150113180351_zps6e2f1777.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I like that, it's sort of a Tiffin Box that runs off electricity, and now all I can think of is curry! :D
Yes, however the 'vacuum' means it should actually cook things quicker and keep the heat in for longer ... very interesting item me'thinks.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Yes, however the 'vacuum' means it should actually cook things quicker and keep the heat in for longer ... very interesting item me'thinks.
Well someone has to bit the bullet and buy one, so that the curry making capabilities can be fully tested. Back soon, off to buy some Kingfisher lager in anticipation :D

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I suppose the question is how would you power it on the move if you wanted to - our cab socket is 180w max so I assume a socket linked to the leisure or vehicle battery would be required?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Just looking at other versions of this and came across this picture ... I know we 'think' they can't say 'r' but it appears to be how they spell too sometimes! :D

QQ622A56FE20150113180351_zps6e2f1777.jpg
I've seen something like this before, spent a long flight once next to a Japanese gentleman who owned a company which made very similar stuff to these. As usual, the Chinese make a copy. How they can ship stuff like this all the way from Guangzhou for free and only charge £29 in total, I'll never know....

Some things definitely lose in the translation though, saw this in Shanghai airport a couple of years ago...... it was mushroom risotto
image.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can't see how its really going to work usually the vacuum is between the layers of the container to stop heat loss this has vacuum in the food container which will do the opposite of a pressure cooker it will lower boiling temperature so food will cook more slowly!. They seem to suggest the vacuum is to stop the growth of bacteria but if it were hot enough that would not be a problem.

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Can't see how its really going to work usually the vacuum is between the layers of the container to stop heat loss this has vacuum in the food container which will do the opposite of a pressure cooker it will lower boiling temperature so food will cook more slowly!. They seem to suggest the vacuum is to stop the growth of bacteria but if it were hot enough that would not be a problem.
It's a lunch box and the vacuum pump is to expel the air so the contents might keep a bit fresher between loading it in the morning and cooking it at lunch time.

I suspect it is too small and too underpowered to be of much use as a cooker for two. If you want something to warm your spring rolls I guess it would be fine.

We'll stick with a saucepan. :)

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Errr how dos the 'vacuum' keep things hotter, longer :whistle::)

I fully understand how a vacuum helps a flask but there is no void here, food touches the single ply edge = transfer
I 'think' the vacuum is a red herring, bacteria will multiply in a vacuum, they are temperature dependant, they also multiply in pressure, its not until you get to huge pressures they are destroyed

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I asked this a post or two ago but it seems to have got lost, Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111523135598&globalID=EBAY-GB
I have never seen/used one but my thoughts are - if you have a household one and have an inverter in your van already then save your dosh and use the house one. You do not need a big inverter to operate a slow cooker on the move and the smell in the van while you are driving along is lovely, makes you hungry though!! We nestle ours in the shower tray with a bungy over the lid and a towel around the edge to stop in sliding around.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We've ordered one for Winnie. We don't have one at home, we have an aga! ( type). We fancy the idea of a meal cooking whilst we drive along. (y)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I've had my eye on one of these, but they're in Aus. Basically like Mr D's but with a 12v power top up. I think they are a lot more expensive than the rice cooker though.
Also saw this on the eco pot site which can be used with solar.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I asked this a post or two ago but it seems to have got lost, Does anyone have one of these or know anything about them
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=111523135598&globalID=EBAY-GB

It doesn't state the capacity of the cooking pot..... I have two slow cookers a small 1.5 litre that pulls just 90W max and was £9.99 from Argos (runs off the invertor when on the move) and a much larger slow cooker that stays at home (a £5 car boot sale buy). The larger one draws more power and for longer than the small one.

The 1.5 litre cooker is more than adequate for two of us when we are out and about. The larger one hardly ever gets used these days (home or away).

You also need to check if it will work without liquid (for doing baked potatoes and baking cakes and bread) and if it has a keep warm function. I think the 12v one is overpriced - a small one like ours plus a Lidl invertor will cost less and be more versatile.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It doesn't state the capacity of the cooking pot..... I have two slow cookers a small 1.5 litre that pulls just 90W max and was £9.99 from Argos (runs off the invertor when on the move) and a much larger slow cooker that stays at home (a £5 car boot sale buy). The larger one draws more power and for longer than the small one.

The 1.5 litre cooker is more than adequate for two of us when we are out and about. The larger one hardly ever gets used these days (home or away).

You also need to check if it will work without liquid (for doing baked potatoes and baking cakes and bread) and if it has a keep warm function. I think the 12v one is overpriced - a small one like ours plus a Lidl invertor will cost less and be more versatile.
Hey PD. Do you do baked potatoes in your slow cooker? How do they come out, crispy or soft? Is yours a crock one or a metal one?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Yes, I do!

Both the slow cookers are ceramic inserts. I oil and salt the skins first - if wrapped in foil the skins are soft and if not they are sometimes crispy-er and the slow cooker is a b*gg*r to clean. The bigger slow cooker makes crispier skins as it gets hotter than the small one.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, I do!

Both the slow cookers are ceramic inserts. I oil and salt the skins first - if wrapped in foil the skins are soft and if not they are sometimes crispy-er and the slow cooker is a b*gg*r to clean. The bigger slow cooker makes crispier skins as it gets hotter than the small one.
Thanks. Will give this a try in my metal one and report back.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can you please explain how you came to the conclusion that the vacuum will make the cooking slower? The fact that the container is sealed will hold the built-up heat in and increase the pressure in it which in turn will increase the temperature more, similar to putting a lid on a saucepan.

AFAIK that's the principle that the Mr D's works on - you start it off on the heat (instead of in the electric pot) then put it in the thermal outer with the lid on to keep the heat in and the pressure which builds up creates even more heat which cooks the food. So whether the sealed lid is just on the whole container or the individual pots too I can't see how it would make the pots 'cooler'. It would also mean that there's no 'cross contamination' of flavours from one pot to the other and should keep the moisture, flavour in too.

That's my take on it anyway ... if I got one I would use it similar to the Mr D's one and start the contents off on the hob first then transfer them to the main container and use it on electric if I wanted - a bit like a cross between a Mr D's, an electric slow cooker and a pressure cooker.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes, I do!

Instead of wrapping the spuds in the foil why not line the pot and lid ... that way the heat can get to the skins to make them crispy and you can just remove the foil and throw it away afterwards ... voila, nice clean slow cooker!

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Which? Minxys or the slow cooker?

The slow cooker....have my name down for the double skillet when it becomes available. We have an electric frying pan and the Verso cookware, I think that should be enough! :D

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Instead of wrapping the spuds in the foil why not line the pot and lid ... that way the heat can get to the skins to make them crispy and you can just remove the foil and throw it away afterwards ... voila, nice clean slow cooker!

I do that for cakes :)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I look at the Mr D's pots from time to time but think they are way over priced.

@Minxy Girl 's link I wondered if the seller was mixed up between vacuum and pressure and sealed pot to be honest. Heating liquid in a sealed pot would create pressure rather than a vacuum wouldn't it?

EDIT: Sorry my error they do have a pump to pull the air out...... However I am happy with my slow cooker. I might make a cozy for it like an updated hay box so I can take the ceramic insert out once up to temperature and put it inside the cozy :)

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015

It arrived today. It's 2.5 pints capacity which should be perfect for us. No recipe book though so shall have to see what I can find.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My small slow cooker is 1.5 litres and is ideal for the motorhome :)

I baked a cake in it this afternoon. Yum.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back