Not very helpful (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've been insured by C&CC for some years. In a few days' time I'm taking delivery of a new van and have yet to sell the present one, so I contacted them, or their insurance arm, asking could I simply add the new van to my present policy, or failing that take out a separate policy on the new van, then cancel one when the van sells.
They refused on the basis that they will not insure more than one motorhome in one person's name. This seems ridiculous, since as I said to them I cannot drive two vans at once, one would left on the drive at home, and it is only a temporary need. They asked how long it would take to sell the present van. A good question, I said. I have no idea. How would I know? The fact is, motorhome insurance was the main reason I took the C&CC membership in the first place. I don't use the club sites as they are too expensive and too regimented. I'm quite disillusioned by their unhelpful attitude, surely the purpose of the club is to help their members..

I can't be the first or only person to be in this situation. I have got an interesting quote from Comfort, so will probably take that option, but I am quite disgusted at the club's strange attitude, and don't feel inclined to renew next year.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You can't use your no claim bonus on more then one vehicle. Thats normal I'm afraid? I have just sold van and transferred protected no claims bonus to a new car. Safeguard have told me they will mirror the no claims if I buy another van.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Should be able to swop vehicles add old one on as a temporary additional vehicle for a charge. May only do it for 14. 30 45 60 days max depends on insurer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Rang Comfort today with no issues. Although did pay admin charge of £20 to swap insurance over to new van, £35 for a weeks cover note on my old van being picked up next Monday.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Recently changed my mhomes and Safeguard were faultless in the changeover/overlap of cover.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've been insured by C&CC for some years. In a few days' time I'm taking delivery of a new van and have yet to sell the present one, so I contacted them, or their insurance arm, asking could I simply add the new van to my present policy, or failing that take out a separate policy on the new van, then cancel one when the van sells.
They refused on the basis that they will not insure more than one motorhome in one person's name. This seems ridiculous, since as I said to them I cannot drive two vans at once, one would left on the drive at home, and it is only a temporary need. They asked how long it would take to sell the present van. A good question, I said. I have no idea. How would I know? The fact is, motorhome insurance was the main reason I took the C&CC membership in the first place. I don't use the club sites as they are too expensive and too regimented. I'm quite disillusioned by their unhelpful attitude, surely the purpose of the club is to help their members..

I can't be the first or only person to be in this situation. I have got an interesting quote from Comfort, so will probably take that option, but I am quite disgusted at the club's strange attitude, and don't feel inclined to renew next year.

I have had two vans insured at the same time with SAGA for 2 or 3 months whilst one was up for sale...BUSBY.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Try Safeguard. We were given a mirror policy when we ended up with two vans last summer and no problems cancelling the cover for the Hymer once we had sold it. Also they wer happy to insure the new van on th vin plate.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
You can't use your no claim bonus on more then one vehicle. Thats normal I'm afraid? I have just sold van and transferred protected no claims bonus to a new car. Safeguard have told me they will mirror the no claims if I buy another van.
I understand that, of course. This was just a straight refusal for a second policy.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Should be able to swop vehicles add old one on as a temporary additional vehicle for a charge. May only do it for 14. 30 45 60 days max depends on insurer.
Quite. They won't. Temporary cover was previously mentioned, not this time.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Of course it depends on your personal circumstances but I would not relish being the owner of 2 motorhomes as once the new one has been delivered and paid for then the opportunity to part exchange is lost. Its a bit like having a bridging loan because you haven't sold your old house before buying the new one but at least houses are not normally depreciating assets. Just my personal opinion and of course I have no idea of the values involved.:D

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
Hello,

As some may be aware, we bought a new-to-us RV last Tuesday.

I, as only driver, am insured with C and C C for my current campervan and heard the same "you can't do that" as you have.

I went to great lenghts to explain I will be selling my campervan and stressed the short time I would have two insured at the same time.

No, they say you can't have two insured at the same time.

Why? I asked - no idea...

So, I'll have just buy a years' insurance with another company thank you.

OK, but we will have to refer it to the Underwriters even though it's a different insurance company because - they also say you can't have two motorhomes insured at the same time.

This was Thursday, the day before Good Friday, and the Underwiters had gone home for Easter not returning to work until the Tuesday I was collecting the RV.

So, come 06:45 Tuesday morning I had to take the train up to Blackpool from Lymington New Forest without benefit of insurance and not knowing if I would have to cancel the insurance on the campervan to be able to drive the RV home (my plan B).

Obviously, I didn't bother Dawn with this minor inconvenience...

Anyway, the Underwiters said ok - hooray.

I recommend you speak to Alex; he was very understanding and together we made it work.

Also, this Highway policy does not require a No Claims Bonus.

Regards,

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Of course it depends on your personal circumstances but I would not relish being the owner of 2 motorhomes as once the new one has been delivered and paid for then the opportunity to part exchange is lost. Its a bit like having a bridging loan because you haven't sold your old house before buying the new one but at least houses are not normally depreciating assets. Just my personal opinion and of course I have no idea of the values involved.:D
Well i usually buy private to save a few grand and sell private to gain a couple of grand..A van you would try and sell say for £12000 ,,a dealer would be offering £7000 to £8000 if you were lucky in part chop and would be asking £20000 plus for a van you could buy private for probably £16 to £17000, so for a bit of trouble its a large saving,,,BUSBY.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Well i usually buy private to save a few grand and sell private to gain a couple of grand..A van you would try and sell say for £12000 ,,a dealer would be offering £7000 to £8000 if you were lucky in part chop and would be asking £20000 plus for a van you could buy private for probably £16 to £17000, so for a bit of trouble its a large saving,,,BUSBY.
In my case, my present van is a lovely camper van, old but on which I've spent alot of money on recently. Recon engine, gearbox, steering, electric fan, etc. With a perfect body (the van, not me), not a known model so the dealers don't want to know. So private sale seems the only option.
So I got a good discount on the new van, and hope to sell this one at a reasonable price. Of course, I won't benefit from the money I spent, but hopefully it'll be a better price than selling to a dealer.
We're just back from a 2,500 mile trip to Spain and the old girl drove beautifully. The van, that is, the other old girl don't drive. It'll be a shame to see it go (the van), but ... looking forward to the new Trigano Tribute next week!

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Oh yes, I think I've got over the issue of insurance by putting the old van for sale with Motorhome depot, I can leave it on the drive and they'll use their insurance for demonstration purposes. So I will either transfer the insurance if sold by then, which I doubt, or take out a new policy on the new van with a more reasonable insurance company, which judging by the quote the original company gave me to transfer, will prove cheaper any way.
As I said earlier, insurance is the main reason I used the unhelpful C&CC in the first place.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You may have got over the demonstration issue but i would want to see that that in writing, you will find the insurance is only valid when their rep is in the van demonstrating
What that means is that when its standing on your drive as far as fire theft and all other risks your van is uninsured

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I know. There are other choices, I can leave it for now and see what happens, no panic.
My present van will be at the Shepton Mallet show, it anyone is interested in a good used campervan!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back