stopover on the way to South of France (1 Viewer)

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi there, we are going down to the South of France in a couple of weeks and would be grateful of recommendations of safe stopovers about half way. We are using the toll roads to get there as quick as we can and have a bike to have a look around when we get there. Last year we stayed at service stations but have been put off by the amount of horror stories I have heard recently.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Venita.:thumb:

You may get a better response to your request if you let us know your intended route.

OP
OP
V

Venita

Free Member
Jul 6, 2009
Co. Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi, Our intended route will hopefully allow us to be in the Dijon area when we need to stop if that helps? thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi there, we are going down to the South of France in a couple of weeks and would be grateful of recommendations of safe stopovers about half way. We are using the toll roads to get there as quick as we can and have a bike to have a look around when we get there. Last year we stayed at service stations but have been put off by the amount of horror stories I have heard recently.

If you get this side of the channel (Calais) and want a stop over there is one just out of Calais (15 miles west. just off the A16 if you are heading south that way. and safer place than stopping at Calais) Called Ferme de l' Horloge at Tardinghen (he has two sites one on the hill, smashing site good views and one at the back of the farm barn both nice at 5 Euros per night including water drinking, water grey. and WC waste, and electric at an extra 3 euros per 24 hours,.....next stop over, if heading down the same route A16 south, that is down the Atlantic west side ...is just below Le Mans small town called la Suze sur Sarthe on the river ...3 Euros per night includes water drinking, electric, grey water and WC.
Further south is a small site called St Seurin-D'uzet another small village going down the west side it is a small inlet from the sea Beautiful little site (not sure about a RV it would be a bit tight and they only take 4 vans it is like being on some bodies best kept lawn with pic-nic tables to eat off scattered around the grass..6.5 Euros per night this includes water drinking, water grey, electric, WC, dustbins....
Another site is Gastes 6.50euros per night this is further south down the west side again.
These are all beautiful Aires and I would say safe sites all well kept.....All in the book
"all the Aires France 2nd edition" ….do not go on the photos most of the time in the book, I do not know who did the photos...URG... but on a most of the sites they do not do the Aires justice as they are a lot better...
I hope these sites are of some help to you if you are travelling down the west side....if you go on any of these sites please let me know what you think....
if you reqire any more info on these sites let me know
if you want the GPS let me know

Mel in France a born Yorkshire man

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Two thoughts. The first, going south is Beaune where there is an aire in the parking area on Avenue Charles de Gaulle. Co-ords 47.0174N, 4.8365E. We have stayed there. Although the designated bays are near the main road, they were full and everyone simply over-spilled towards the back of the car park. There is a Flot Bleu borne that used to cost €2.50. There is also a campsite in Baune, but it can get very full.

Further south, and a bit off the auto-route, we have stayed in the town square / car park in Montreval-en-Bresse (approximately due east of Macon). It is not a designated aire, but it was quite empty when we used it and no-one seemed to mind. It is a small town with a few shops. the co-ords for that are 46.3365N, 5.1257E. No services. I believe there is also an aire at Macon, but we never found it.

Philip

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
To S of France

If going from Calais take east of Paris and go for A77, through Nevers and then via Moulin. Here is an excellent stop over in a Municipal site on the side of the river and an easy walk over the stone bridge into the town. Not to be missed and cheap too.
Further south, after the Millau Bridge, is Clermont L Hault, on the side of the Lac is an Aire and if full, a Municipal campsite nearby.
We took one time the route from the Lac on a yellow road down to Beziers, stunning. Not thought to be suitable for the RV's.
We may be there again from the 31st Aug in that area after our start from LeHavre via Dreux, Orleans and south to the A75, Mousiac railway station Aire, where we will stay for the night or so, we will take a return train trip south for a couple of hours along fab scenery. This train track is at about 900metres high with gorges on either side.
There is also a good Aire on the top at St Flour in the market place with fab views from the top. (about 900 metres high), again not to be missed.

thefman

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
notts
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2000

hi the route you are taking i agree with jeanluc Beaune is your best bet
plus its a lovely town.

mark.

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
And if you want to head south a bit further west, don't forget that the A20 Paris-Limoges is largely free, and only a short distance from J28 is Parc Verger - we'd be delighted to welcome you en route south or north!

Bob and Di

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
If you get this side of the channel (Calais) and want a stop over there is one just out of Calais (15 miles west. just off the A16 if you are heading south that way. and safer place than stopping at Calais) Called Ferme de l' Horloge at Tardinghen (he has two sites one on the hill, smashing site good views and one at the back of the farm barn both nice at 5 Euros per night including water drinking, water grey. and WC waste, and electric at an extra 3 euros per 24 hours,.....next stop over, if heading down the same route A16 south, that is down the Atlantic west side ...is just below Le Mans small town called la Suze sur Sarthe on the river ...3 Euros per night includes water drinking, electric, grey water and WC.
Further south is a small site called St Seurin-D'uzet another small village going down the west side it is a small inlet from the sea Beautiful little site (not sure about a RV it would be a bit tight and they only take 4 vans it is like being on some bodies best kept lawn with pic-nic tables to eat off scattered around the grass..6.5 Euros per night this includes water drinking, water grey, electric, WC, dustbins....
Another site is Gastes 6.50euros per night this is further south down the west side again.
These are all beautiful Aires and I would say safe sites all well kept.....All in the book
"all the Aires France 2nd edition" ….do not go on the photos most of the time in the book, I do not know who did the photos...URG... but on a most of the sites they do not do the Aires justice as they are a lot better...
I hope these sites are of some help to you if you are travelling down the west side....if you go on any of these sites please let me know what you think....
if you reqire any more info on these sites let me know
if you want the GPS let me know

Mel in France a born Yorkshire man.....

Tardinghen N50'51.771 E001'38.955
la suze sur Sarthe N47'53.333' E000'01.850'
Gastes.....N44'19.714' W001'09.057'
Moulismes N46'19.977 E000'48.609' is another good site

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.