Info for first purchase! (1 Viewer)

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
We have done lots of looking at motorhomes over the last month and have arrived at a basic spec we would like-
  • A class with bed long enough for my lanky 6'3" - seems rear lounge bed as over cabs are too short ( only 2 of us). No fixed bed as it takes up too much space for our needs!
  • winterised as we intend to use all yr round
we seem to have arrived at German built models from about 2000 ish (double floor etc) to suit our budget. I have seen a euramobil but it is 3.08 tall & 3850 kg GV weight. Will this cause me problems with regards to roadtax, breakdown ins, autoroute tolls etc?? Hymer 5 series seem to be 3500kg and fall into lower class for tolls in france.

Last question for now - I am very aware of need to check for dampness, especially when buying private. In fact i have just ordered a damp meter from maplins. Where should I check, and what is an acceptable reading?

Looking at vans has made us keen to make our first purchase - is there a best tme to buy, should we hold off until later in year? Lots of vans seem to be on market for ages.

Thanks!:Smile:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Scottie and welcome:welcome: I don't know any of the answers to your questions but hopefully someone will be along soon:thumb: (bump)

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
we seem to have arrived at German built models from about 2000 ish (double floor etc) to suit our budget. I have seen a euramobil but it is 3.08 tall & 3850 kg GV weight. Will this cause me problems with regards to roadtax, breakdown ins, autoroute tolls etc?? Hymer 5 series seem to be 3500kg and fall into lower class for tolls in france.

Hi Welcome to MHF. In answer to your questions.
Being over 3.5T is not a problem regarding roadtax my MH weighs 3850kgs and costs £175 per year to tax. Breakdown insurance for large Motorhomes is available via variuos clubs like the Caravan Club or with your insurance and allows recovery of large M/H's. As for French tolls you will come into the higher class but it does seem luck of the draw if you are charged at the higher rate. I have only ever paid as a 3500kg despite being 3850.
Hope this helps

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Van Type

Hi Scottie 58,
Suprised at you thinking of an A class van when you are not going to use the overcab bed. Would it not be better to go for an CB unit with say a U shape rear lounge so you can get the extra length of bed.
Years ago we had much the same idea as you, an A class, until we looked at the possible storage within the unit. We finally settled for a CB and took out the over cab bed and use that area for storage and to balance the load carried over both axles. We have the U shaped lounge which is ideal for the day use, plenty of space to more around in and 2 resting places as required.
As far as damp test is concerned poke your points of the meter into as many gaps as possible, the results should be about the same as placing the points into the palms of your hand. If the meter sound is very high its obviously there is a problem and maybe easy to fix, mind you if your buying its a very serious problem you tell the seller, its surprising how much the price comes down.
Good luck, hope the info is of use . regards Ron W

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
main area's to damp check are around windows/door, roof to wall joints, floor to wall joints (inside lockers too), any roof windows/vents.....in fact any external joint/opening.
also check visually for any staining on the ceiling covering in particularly around roof vents etc as there may have been a damp problem in the past which could leak again in the future.

if the any of the floor feels 'springy' then de-lamination of the floor panels is a possiblity.....fixable but not good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
thanks for inputs - reason we want an A class is that we will occasionaly need an extra bed for friends / family.

I am going to look at a eura mobil 635 - 3850 GVW, 3.08 m tall. Looked at toll fees in france - class 3, nearly triple cars, 33% more than class 2. We would only use them infrequently, but still an expensive factor to consider. Do the toll booths auto measure the vans?

Still looking!:Smile:

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi would this float your boat!

This 2002 Hymer S650 Elegance is the ultimate in luxury Motor Homes, the Elegance Special Edition with its curved settee upholstered in luxury material has to be seen to be appreciated.
An internal viewing is a must.
It has gas and mains electric powered hot water, A thetford cassette toilet with electric flush, Shower, On board waste and water tanks, full gas Oven, Fridge with separate freezer compartment, there is even a wine rack and glass storage.
External 240v socket for Mains electric input, all round Blinds & flyscreens and Blown air heating with En route option.
This A class Hymer also has a huge array of extras including roof mounted air conditioning which is remote controlled, satellite TV system with flat screen TV, Sky mini box and a spacious lounge with swivel seats and three seat belts. The overcab drop down bed gives a large, comfortable sleeping area.
The double floor gives an enormous amount of storage as well as fantastic insulation. All in all this is a great opportunity to buy a motorhome with all you need and don't forget it is an AUTOMATIC.

Upvote 0

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Hi Take a look at this one in the classifieds says it has big beds!:Smile:

Link Removed

I have been trying to get hold of the poster of this but not answering emails or comments on the ad. I guess it MAY be sold.

There is another one advertised that hasn't answered email as well.....

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I have been trying to get hold of the poster of this but not answering emails or comments on the ad. I guess it MAY be sold.

There is another one advertised that hasn't answered email as well.....

Ok sorry about that, pity as it seems to be a decent price which is why its gone I suppose.

Tim

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back