Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I have an Alden Satellite system (85cm). Without warning it stopped locking on to Astra2 last year as I got to the south of France. I have now returned to the UK but it still wouldn’t pick up astra

It picks up hotbird no probs, I have had to get my news through the BBC world service.

Any suggestions? Physically it looks fine up there. Unfortunately the dealer it was bought from gave up the Alden franchise 5/6 years ago.

Dick

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Have a quick search as this was covered last week, I think you need to reprogram some channels.

Martin

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
The three Astra 2 satellites have signal footprints that cover the whole of western Europe - they call them the European beam. So there is no way you can go out of the "new reduced footprint" for the Astra 2 satellites.

But you may go out of the "new reduced footprint" for channels on the satellites UK beams - whose reception varies a lot around Western Europe.

So you should have no problems getting Astra 2 in France - when using channels that are on European beam frequencies.

The most common issue with systems not locking onto satellites, is that the frequency the system have been using to lock on may no longer be transmitting. Frequencies come and go, channels move frequencies, (and satellites and beams) all the time. So if your system looking for a satellite using frequency 12345, but this frequency I no longer sending out any meaningful signal, then your system cannot lock onto the satellite. The same goes f that frequency changes its FEC or symbol rate (many are doing so these days) If this is the case, you need to get your system update to lock onto a correct working frequency. But it seems most manufacturers are very blinkered, and do not offer the option for people to do this themselves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Jim
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
I had similar problem. I think what happens is the system locks onto a stronger satellite and then keeps trying that satellite once back in UK.
My solution was to re-programme (on the panel, no fancy 'puting) and tell it I was no longer in South Germany.

OP
OP
Glandwr

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
The three Astra 2 satellites have signal footprints that cover the whole of western Europe - they call them the European beam. So there is no way you can go out of the "new reduced footprint" for the Astra 2 satellites.

But you may go out of the "new reduced footprint" for channels on the satellites UK beams - whose reception varies a lot around Western Europe.

So you should have no problems getting Astra 2 in France - when using channels that are on European beam frequencies.

The most common issue with systems not locking onto satellites, is that the frequency the system have been using to lock on may no longer be transmitting. Frequencies come and go, channels move frequencies, (and satellites and beams) all the time. So if your system looking for a satellite using frequency 12345, but this frequency I no longer sending out any meaningful signal, then your system cannot lock onto the satellite. The same goes f that frequency changes its FEC or symbol rate (many are doing so these days) If this is the case, you need to get your system update to lock onto a correct working frequency. But it seems most manufacturers are very blinkered, and do not offer the option for people to do this themselves.
Many thanks. Although the system is getting on, an orbitour 85. The SSC was updated by the manufacturer 2 years ago I had some minor damage on a low bridge and they repaired it in Strasburg as I was close. They insisted on the update as well. Could things change so quickly?

Dick

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
But it seems most manufacturers are very blinkered, and do not offer the option for people to do this themselves.

Fortunately Oyster 2 is one of those who do. A phone call to their SuperLady, and if she can, will talk you through what needs to be adjusted, using the little box with display and buttons. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have an Alden Satellite system (85cm). Without warning it stopped locking on to Astra2 last year as I got to the south of France. I have now returned to the UK but it still wouldn’t pick up astra

It picks up hotbird no probs, I have had to get my news through the BBC world service.

Any suggestions? Physically it looks fine up there. Unfortunately the dealer it was bought from gave up the Alden franchise 5/6 years ago.

Dick
It changed in mid December. There are instructions for retuning on Jackons satellite website

http://www.jacksonsuk.com/content/reset_instructions_for_vision_that_wont_lock_to_astra_2/

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back