Anyone fitted a GlobeSat? (1 Viewer)

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Hi Guys

Ive just bought a second hand unused GlobeSat dish. I have also spoken to a guy who fits them and he said, very fairly they are so easy to fit he wouldn't want to charge me as it could be done by myself.

Has anyone fitted one?

I know they are manual opperated, is the shaft attached to anything inside to give it stability or is it all reliant on the roof fitting?

many Thanks

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
hi derek,

not fitted one but took one off to replace it with a auto set up.

really easy shaft through the roof, held on in cubpoard by simple set up.

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Have fitted one to each of the last three vans that we have had without problem. You should have a clamp fitting that fits to an internal wall of the van e.g. Wardrobe. I think I can find the fitting instructions and drilling template if you need them.

Regards

Lunarman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Have fitted one to each of the last three vans that we have had without problem. You should have a clamp fitting that fits to an internal wall of the van e.g. Wardrobe. I think I can find the fitting instructions and drilling template if you need them.

Regards

Lunarman

I think i now understand how its fitted inside.

With regards the roof fitting i presume there are inner and outer parts to be joined together, I have been advised to use Sikaflex221 to get a good seal, are there any screws etc to be used.

Even though i know it has to done, i wont enjoy drilling the 41mm hole through the roof. I was going to drill inside out to get the right location for the shaft, am i right in thinking this, i will make sure its unobstructed on the topside though...

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
You seem to have the right idea. The shaft roof mounting clamps between the inside and outside, there are screw holes in the outside of the roof clamp but I have never used screws only sikaflex to secure and seal. I found it easier to remove the roof clamp from the shaft, fit the clamp to the roof then feed the dish shaft through the clamp. To remove the clamp you need to remove the angle adjustment screw knob and the black end tube cover, this is just a push fit.

Obviously you need to make sure that the dish is fitted far enough inboard to ensure that it does not overhang the edge of the van and that it is clear of other roof mounted items e.g. heater exhaust pipes that may restrict its operation.

The first time that you drill a hole through the roof is more that a bit of a worry but so far I have had no mishaps. I suggest that you use a hole cutter and that when the pilot drill pierces the external skin stop drilling from the inside and drill the remainder from the outside. This should prevent and cracking or splintering of the outer skin.

Dont fit the internal wall clamp to low or you wont be able to raise the dish.

Hope this makes sense

Lunarman

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
Its starting to.

I get the general idea of it, im sure it will become clearer when I can see the individual components.

I know where i want to fit it, however the wardrobe is thin, so i may use an additional piece of ply/MDF on the inside to attach the internal pole fitting to.

Just a final drill saw novice question, being rather large and having a reasonably flat cutting surface, does this help in cutting a more accurate vertical hole?

Many thanks for all of your advise:thumb:

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I have found that you need to make sure that it starts cutting evenly around its circumference. Once it starts feeding through the material it will follow the course that it starts on and it is not easy to correct its direction. Although the roof construction does allow some measure of correction. Try marking some rings around the barrel of the hole saw so that you can see its progress against the inside of the roof.

lunarman

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
I have found that you need to make sure that it starts cutting evenly around its circumference. Once it starts feeding through the material it will follow the course that it starts on and it is not easy to correct its direction. Although the roof construction does allow some measure of correction. Try marking some rings around the barrel of the hole saw so that you can see its progress against the inside of the roof.

lunarman

Top tips!

I will get a friend to keep an eye on the roof for the pilot drill to appear. I dont have a roof rack/frame either so i will have to get a ladder to the side and lean accross.

Agilityman

Free Member
Aug 23, 2009
Kidderminster, Worcs.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Derek,

I've fitted a Globesat to my Autocruise Starburst and I wrote the following review on it:-

Instructions are minimal. The supplier may suffer for this - There is no template for roof mounting, you must remember that the hole needed through the roof is offset from the centre of the dish - there is no mention of this in the instructions. This alone could prove costly. The hole is offset in front of the centre of the dish towards the front of your Motorhome/Caravan. The kit arrives with 2 screw-on cable connectors. No instructions on how to fit them, by chance I still had the instruction booklet from my Aldi portable satellite system that had details. If you can't fix the connectors correctly, it isn’t going to work. The unit proved and still proves to be very stiff and reluctant to raise up, there is a push button that has to be pushed to get the dish to lift up (Elevation), once past the initial resting point all resistance goes.
Alignment: I found this very easy. All you need is a map of the part of the world you are in with Elevation and Azimuth details. I raise the dish and set the Elevation. Go outside with a compass (well away from metal, such as Vehicles), Find out where the satellite is in relation to your Van. Go back inside and rotate the dish until in my case the satellite receiver shows visually and audibly that the satellite has been located. I’m not joking to say that all the above takes less than 3 minutes.
Performance: Worked first time and provides fantastic pictures.
I would highly recommend it, even though installation details are poor.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
The dish arrived today and after all of the fedback, tips and hazzards im ready for the fitting on saturday morning.

The pole is in tip top condition and slides freely as its never been used (this was something i was aware of).

I have bought all of the specified adhesives and drill saw bits that I will need. Total cost was around £25 + the cost of the dish (ebay second hand unused) £170, so £200 for a fitted external dish i am happy with, (if it goes to plan!!)

I agree the plans are poor if you had only these to work with but i am confident i can manage (I hope).

I will of course do a bit of a report for the benefit of others who attempt to fit one

Again many thanks for all of your feedback

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Nick,

see...... i remembered again::bigsmile:

unless you are drilling close to the edge of the roof i would actually climb on the roof to do it.

looking down from above gives you better idea of plumb than leaning over to drill and you have more control.

unless you are built like the proverbial sh*t-house the roof can take your weight just not too close to the roof vents or the pod.

john.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
hi Nick,

see...... i remembered again::bigsmile:

unless you are drilling close to the edge of the roof i would actually climb on the roof to do it.

looking down from above gives you better idea of plumb than leaning over to drill and you have more control.

unless you are built like the proverbial sh*t-house the roof can take your weight just not too close to the roof vents or the pod.

john.

Hi John

Im on the wrong side of 16 stone, im still carrying my holiday weight (Christmas 06!!)
so im a little conscious of getting up top to say the least.

The hoe will be about 25" from one of the skylights, and about the same from the edge of the MH, so im hoping my reach will be OK to manage.

What do you reckon

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
well i have a stone on you and i go up top from time to time.

if you feel confident from the side then go ahead.

if you are drilling from inside it shouldnt be too much of a problem as you'll only be drilling the outer skin from the top really.

my omnisat/maxveiw needed a 25mm hole through the roof but i put a 30mm to give a bit of clearance.....lucky i did as it would have been a tad tight due to being slightly off plumb.

once the hole is drilled you cant easily make it bigger later.

measure twice, drill once.

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
well i have a stone on you and i go up top from time to time.

if you feel confident from the side then go ahead.

if you are drilling from inside it shouldnt be too much of a problem as you'll only be drilling the outer skin from the top really.

my omnisat/maxveiw needed a 25mm hole through the roof but i put a 30mm to give a bit of clearance.....lucky i did as it would have been a tad tight due to being slightly off plumb.

once the hole is drilled you cant easily make it bigger later.

measure twice, drill once.

Im may drill initially from the inside, remove the "shell" and cut out the insulation to be sure of no wires, then continue to drill untill the pilot pops through the top and repeat from the top. A guy who fits them said there is a low chance of hitting wires but this way you can be sure. I know the approximate location of where i want the dish but until I get all my measurements cock on i will way up the possibility of wires crossing the location of the hole.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thats the best way Nick......caution foremost.:thumb:

can i suggest using the holecutter by hand and in a reverse fashion to remove the foam core flaking out bits as you go.
that way you wont cut the wires but will still have a relatively smooth hole.

when the hole is cut right through, coat the foam with silicon sealer to make sure any minor water seepage cant get into the foam.

again, just being cautious.:thumb:

OP
OP
Dereckerick

Dereckerick

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Merseyside
Funster No
Exp
thats the best way Nick......caution foremost.:thumb:

can i suggest using the holecutter by hand and in a reverse fashion to remove the foam core flaking out bits as you go.
that way you wont cut the wires but will still have a relatively smooth hole.

when the hole is cut right through, coat the foam with silicon sealer to make sure any minor water seepage cant get into the foam.

again, just being cautious.:thumb:

Thanks John top tips as ever, fingers crossed it doesnt pour with rain on saturday hey!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back