Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
MY new MH which is only 1 month old has a sprung mattress which has been slept on for 18 nights .its developed a significant dip already ,I'm only 14st , surly this shouldn't be happening so soon . Should I contact my dealer or the manufacturer ?
Must say I becoming a little dis appointed With this new MH a s I've got quite a list that needs attention ,it's booked in with the dealer to have these done later this month .:cry:

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
It's a Bailey 765

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Yep our mattress is 18 months old done 200 + nights away and its sagging quite badly , I'll be replacing it when we sell it in October as it's badly out of shape

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
After only 18 nights it definitely needs to be replaced. It should last longer than the equivalent of 2.5 weeks. Contact the dealer - your contract is with them not the manufacturer; it is for the dealer to take it up with them.

Good luck with getting everything sorted.

Denise

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Yep our mattress is 18 months old done 200 + nights away and its sagging quite badly , I'll be replacing it when we sell it in October as it's badly out of shape
Have you contacted Bailey or the dealer and if so what was their response. I'm only asking as I expect them to denie that there is anything wrong with the mattress, but if I know that other people have had problems I will be able to argue with them that it's not fit for use .

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Have you contacted Bailey or the dealer and if so what was their response. I'm only asking as I expect them to denie that there is anything wrong with the mattress, but if I know that other people have had problems I will be able to argue with them that it's not fit for use .

Hi Melvin I haven't spoken to my dealer who incidently are good at sorting out issues but I suspect after 18 months there will be no comeback .
We have been in Spain for 4 months but the sagging has only really become more apparent fairly recently.

P.s I'm not the lightest of souls so I'm guessing that has contributed to the problem
Having said that our mattress at home is still good after 3 years but it was was quality

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
MY new MH which is only 1 month old has a sprung mattress which has been slept on for 18 nights .its developed a significant dip already ,I'm only 14st , surly this shouldn't be happening so soon . Should I contact my dealer or the manufacturer ?
Must say I becoming a little dis appointed With this new MH a s I've got quite a list that needs attention ,it's booked in with the dealer to have these done later this month .:cry:

no way that this should be happenning after so few nights.....speak to the dealer for sure....and youre not 'heavy' by many standards....

however, for perspective...... haven't times changed...

2016.."im only 14st....."....88.9kg
1964..Ali became world heavyweight champion weighing in at 95 kg.....just 6kg in it......

if you told the dealer that Ali and Liston had spent 18 nights on the bed, i wonder what his reaction might be.....:unsure:

only kidding but i wonder if mattresses have 'moved with the times'?:)

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Most mattresses are imported from China these day to save money

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007

jaytee74

Free Member
Dec 5, 2013
durham uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt swift royale
Exp
since2007
i used to be in the bedding trade sounds to me like child gauge springing is been used a higher gauge spring should have been used suitable for adults.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I will always remember my gran's advice....

always buy the best shoes and mattress you can afford and never scrimp on quality. both effect your health and well-being

my opinion is van mattresses are not fit for purpose, so buy quality replacements

TrickyDicky123

Free Member
Oct 19, 2016
Brighton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
17 years
Can someone please tell me if the memory foam mattresses generates much heat? I have heard memory foam is very warm.

Many thanks

OP
OP
Melvin

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
I see this thread has been revived again so I thought I would up date it.Bailey relented eventually and sent us a new mattress to replace the oringnal, now a couple of months on and the new one has sagged just as the original.We are not sure what to do now as I think they are just not fit for purpose and any replacement from Bailey be exactly the same.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Can someone please tell me if the memory foam mattresses generates much heat? I have heard memory foam is very warm.

Many thanks

Not an expert on the subject but discussed them with sellers ... generally they need air to breath underneath so ok on slats but not board. Also there are many different qualities and the cheaper ones seem to be more prone to overheating. But then sellers would say that!

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We bought sprung mattresses for our new motorhome and they are far better than the standard foam ones - no sign of sagging after about 100 nights away :)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We have a 6-month old Trigano Tribute 670 pvc. The mattress (seat bases) are foam, and they have sagged badly. Having looked inside them, the foam appears to be poor quality low density, just plain white stuff. The slatted base is just fine. We have a combined weight of about 22 stone, but have probably spent 60 or more nights on it. Not the same quality as a sprung mattress, but even so it shouldn't sag like that. But the issue is the same, in as much as even if the supplier does replace them, they'll only sag in a few months' time. They are not fit for the task. Where do you stand (perhaps that's a bad phrase to use, where do you lay?)

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Well we've tried out the beds on 14 MH and none of the beds were soft enough for us - some of it's personal choice I suppose, so we'll be looking to change the mattress after a week! You have to give it a try I suppose ... some of the things we're looking at are -

Froli Stars
Duvalay toppers
Jonic mattresses

Jonic have a database of MH's so for most you just tell them what your MH is and choice of mattress is and they already have the dimensions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Many thanks
Depends entirely on the quality cheap do get very hot and uncomfortable. The cold formed 7 zone ones in our van are fine even when temps in the 30's. Better than the sprung one in the last Hymer, that was still as good as new after 6 years.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
From watching the adverts for mattresses from a certain supplier saying they have a ticket on them telling you the date to replace in 8 years time.

So a Mho one should last donkeys years unless you are full timing.

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
I was concerned about the French bed mattress on our new to us 10 year old Chausson. So I was really surprised that it's really OK especially as we are sleeping on a 6 month old expensive bed at home. We might get a topper so the base becomes a bit deeper but there's no hurry. Suprised too that very new Moho beds giving trouble

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We recently bought a new £600 pocket sprung mattess for home....without stripping the bed and looking at the label i think its possibly a silent night but definately a known brand.

Padded top and 2200 pocket springs......both sides, mine especially, have a pronounced dip.

Probably all made in china using biro springs.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our home one is a Vispring think we paid £600 fo it 15 years ago, still as good as new. Thinking of changing it for a softer Vispring. There are reports of Vispring mattresses lasting over 75 years.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Our home one is a Vispring think we paid £600 fo it 15 years ago, still as good as new. Thinking of changing it for a softer Vispring. There are reports of Vispring mattresses lasting over 75 years.

It's always the way, isn't it? The things you fancy changing seem to last forever!! ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back